1962 Imperial timing chain project.....

emmd61

Reaction score
Hey all. Time for a new timing chain. I have some questions to those who have done this before. Camshaft sprocket should have three bolts right? Also, what about single versus double roller chain kit? Single roller was stock I think? Will double roller work on stock engine. I know dumb questions but I have never done a timing chain replacement before. Thanks for any help.

Arthur

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

The '62 Imperial will still have all metal gears and those are usually good for about 150K. Have you checked the chain for excessive play? The 413 stock timing chain is not a roller type, it is a v-groove type usually with a single bolt cam unless someone has changed the camshaft at some point. The 3 Bolt timing gears were mostly on V-Code 6BBL 440 cars and on some Police cruisers with the high performance option. A double roller timing chain will fit your application (there is no single roller for this application) but it is over kill for an Imperial engine, I would replace it if needed with a stock all metal gear set and chain. Before starting a job like this, Download a copy of the Imperial FSM from www.mymopar.com The FSMs are in the tools/reference section of the website. The FSM gives details on how to check and replace the timing chain.

Dave

As a follow up, if you determine that the chain is worn out, go online and find a Cloyes gear and chain set. The Master Crap parts they sell at Blotto Zone are mostly made in China and are poor quality.

Dave

What level of car is this, what’s your plans for how many miles are your driving it? If quality is desired I’d recommend get a cloyes true roller timing set. It is a double roller and will bolt on a stock engine with no modifications. The cheap chains will stretch. Single bolt on the cam sprocket. Cloyes does make a single roller for $27. Not the hot ticket though.

Cloyes Original Race True Roller Timing Sets 9-3104

Last edited:
Back