1962 Imperial - Trunk locked, no keys

Jalopy Papi

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 1962 Imperial Crown, 4 door that I bought in February. It came without keys. I was able to find a new core & key for the ignition, but I have no way to open the trunk. I don't have keys for the doors or the glove box either (which is locked).

I thought about taking a drill to the key hole in the trunk, but I'm concerned I might bust things up in there. Any advise on how to get the trunk open? Also, any advise on keys for the doors and how to open the glove box?

I hope I find DB Cooper's cash stored in the trunk.

thanks in advance!

Hi there,

I have a 1962 Imperial Crown, 4 door that I bought in February. It came without keys. I was able to find a new core & key for the ignition, but I have no way to open the trunk. I don't have keys for the doors or the glove box either (which is locked).

I thought about taking a drill to the key hole in the trunk, but I'm concerned I might bust things up in there. Any advise on how to get the trunk open? Also, any advise on keys for the doors and how to open the glove box?

I hope I find DB Cooper's cash stored in the trunk.

thanks in advance!
The doors and ignition have the same key. Pull one of the inner door panels and remove the key lock from the door.. Take the lock to a locksmith and he can disassemble the unit and make you a key. If you remove the upper and lower seat cushions from the back seat, this will expose the backside of the trunk lock. Most mopars of that era had a slot in the latch mechanism that can be opened with a screwdriver blade attached to a couple of really long extensions for a 3/8" drive socket set. You can remove the lock set once the trunk is opened and take it to the locksmith as well. Either the trunk lock or the door key will also fit the glove box lock.

Dave

Last edited:
Don't forget that "Slim Jim" will work on the older cars, too. Rather than the traditional for back then, bent, wire coat hanger. That should get the door open.

I have made a tool for opening trunk. A long thin screwdriver sized rod where I have heated and flattened a flat screw slot on end and welded a old screwdriver other end.
Remove rear seat stick in slot

Had the same problem with my old '62, a screwdriver taped to a broomstick did the trick, just by removing the rear seat.

Just for the record l just opened this problem 70 NY
trunk by unbolting latch with a long bunch 3/8 extensions taped together

9E7E0D8C-242C-469E-B05F-E81BC2841460.jpeg

D3B3B4EF-7835-428F-B770-CB7FFC957C9F.jpeg

Back