1962 Lebaron in an odd factory color.

dart165

Reaction score
Just posted a similar post on the online Imperial club forum, so don't beat me up for seeking out knowledge in multiple places! :)
I just saved a 62 Imperial Lebaron from becoming an engine donor for a B body, and am finding it to be a really interesting car. I went to look at it outside at night and based on how solid and complete it was I made the deal to buy it. It is almost entirely covered in rattle can black primer, but the jambs and inner panels seemed to be light-colored originally (I figured white when I looked at it that night.) It's originally a Florida car, that made its way up to Michigan in 1992. When I got a better look during the daylight, I found that its original color appears to be Willow Green. While I've found that there's no real way to find out how many 62 Lebarons were ordered in such a strange color, I have to assume there weren't many.
I know it's a long shot but I figured I would ask anyway if anyone knows (or knows how to find out) how many there were in Willow green, or since it's such an odd color if anyone knows the car.

50965240988_ef89074d72_o.jpg
50964669151_f505a4b513_o.jpg
50966054002_9d42519a5b_o.jpg

Still haven't decided what to do with it, since I impulse bought it in an attempt to save a solid car from a donor/derby fate, but want to learn a bit more about it regardless. I'm no stranger to c bodies and Imperials in particular, but this is my first 62 Lebaron, and I'm intrigued by the strange color.

Thanks!

Neat color, and the rear A/C is Really COOL!

Thanks! It looks to have every option box checked except the flite sweep decklid. It's got tinted glass, power windows, vents, locks, and 6 way front seat, auto dimmer, autopilot, remote mirror, touch tuner radio, rear defog, and (i believe) a sure grip rear, but I need to double-check on that.

cool
heres some more.
not a strange color when it was new, times and popular colors change.

True, though, I'd venture that Lebarons were typically a bit more conservative when it came to color. I don't doubt that there were a few like mine that were ordered in brighter hues, but the majority that I've ever seen (at least from 60-63) seem to be black white or blue. Obviously, there are exceptions, but I've not been able to find any images of a LeBaron in Willow.

Thanks for the pics!

Dart,
I did pretty much the same thing when I rescued my black '62 Lebanon from a guys side yard in Redford. Turned out to have a special ordered yellow leather and cloth interior (trim code 999) so I've been slowly restoring it.

Good luck!

I have seen a lot (and driven a few) '62 Imps over the years, and a good number of LeBarons, this is definitely the first/only one I have seen in Willow Green. While not common now, this is a color that draws people in DROVES at car shows, not to mention being cooler to be in/near on a hot/sunny day, especially with the white interior. The OIC (Online Imperial Club) has a registry and MAY some information as to how many cars were built or exist now in each color. Big project to be sure, but you have a good starting point, and when done it would be both amazing, and unique. GREAT that you saved it!

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. If anyone has leads on parts or 61-3's that are getting parting out (besides Murray, who's got some great stuff, but is a bit expensive for my tastes) let me know! It's pretty complete, but I'm sure there are a few odds and ends that I'll need.

So I was in the mood to torture myself and decided to wet sand the rattle can black paint off the car to see what I'd find underneath, for better or worse. Unfortunately whoever decided to start the restoration process (if you want to call it that) got pretty happy with the sandpaper and ground a whole bunch of the car down to bare metal before liberally applying the Krylon. On the upside, where I expected to be knee-deep in Bondo (which is usually what a bunch of black primer means,) I've been pleasantly surprised to find a bunch of solid metal!

51038363452_cbf7c7e0dd_c.jpg

51038263381_d611649eb6_c.jpg

The 1962 LeBaron is one of my favorite cars, happy to see you are saving it and I look forward to seeing the progress in the future! Will be stunning in the Willow green

Now that I have the car sanded down to what is left of the original factory paint, (with the exception of some of the primer that I have found is just covering bare metal,) I decided to break out the wheel, and some high cut compound for no other reason then to see if it’ll take a shine.

75F462E2-5FAD-4032-9C1A-FEB8FCE78C9E.jpeg
C128A5AC-D095-4A96-87F3-0E45410C9BA2.jpeg

Now that I have the car sanded down to what is left of the original factory paint, (with the exception of some of the primer that I have found is just covering bare metal,) I decided to break out the wheel, and some high cut compound for no other reason then to see if it’ll take a shine.

View attachment 451420 View attachment 451421
Well done, pretty good result from 59 year old paint.

Well, I hate to say it, but I’ve come to the hard decision that I need to free up some money for more important things so I need to sell the 62.

I just put it up on eBay without a reserve if anyone’s interested.
1962 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron | eBay

91B101BE-D24A-441C-A367-8E66EA9601AD.jpeg
F5207B04-474A-4E79-9B73-285B8BD0AD91.jpeg
DB08DF6D-6E6A-4669-BC41-7714F9FD4569.jpeg

So I was in the mood to torture myself and decided to wet sand the rattle can black paint off the car to see what I'd find underneath, for better or worse. Unfortunately whoever decided to start the restoration process (if you want to call it that) got pretty happy with the sandpaper and ground a whole bunch of the car down to bare metal before liberally applying the Krylon. On the upside, where I expected to be knee-deep in Bondo (which is usually what a bunch of black primer means,) I've been pleasantly surprised to find a bunch of solid metal!

View attachment 448343

View attachment 448344
Looking so much better all ready.

Back