1964 300K factory torsion bar markings

NitrousTuner1

Reaction score
Getting ready to reassemble the front end & curious What is the proper placement....
1 bar has 1 mark & the other has 2. Which is driver's which is passenger's?
TIA
Also I made a tool on the lathe to press & install new lower control arm bushings. Let me know if anyone is interested. Can make more for very reasonable

2nd try is a charm

20201004_181620.jpg

Check the end of the torsion bar they are usually marked. Right hand will have the last digit of the number even, Left has last digit as an odd number.

Dave

The paint daubs probably correspond with the markings on the end of the bar, so that assembly line operatives could easily see what is what, rather than having to take time to carefully inspect the end of each bar. Color of the daub might relate to the "std", "HD", or "Letter Car" uses, possibly?

Enjoy!'
CBODY67

Agree, the factory markings would be more important, ultimately, more than the pant daubs. Any paint daub is there for the assembly line operatives to glance at a part and determine where it will end up, quickly and easily . . . no guessing on their part. When things are done "in the field", then factory markings should be what's looked at.

Paint daubs can also be used for "line inspection" purposes, by the inspectors who check the cars as they are built, too. But usually to ensure that fasteners are installed on particular items, and tightened. Which, by observation, can vary from plant to plant. Things that we generally didn't pay attention to back when the cars were new. OR knew what they were for!

CBODY67

I slid mine back far enough to get the lower arms out. What ever you do, don't nick the bar in any way. It creates a weak point and you stand a good chance of it breaking under load. And at the worst possible time.

Back