1964 413 Power steering pump questions.

Brakes, Suspension, Rims and Tires

1. Drew-Pritchett

Drew-Pritchett New Member

I recently bought this 1964 300k with the 413. It had a REALLY bad power steering leak and was missing the resivore cap. Now I'm on my third "rebuild kit" for this exact application, the first 2 kits had o-rings that were far too big in diameter. But anyway a few questions. Btw i believe this pump is a Thompson style.

-how do I install this pulley back on? As you can see the shaft is plain-end with no threaded port for an installer tool.

-or would it be better swapping over to a Saginaw (I can actually find those fairly easy)

Any help would be TREMENDOUS!

20190609_131637.jpg

20190606_185418.jpg

20190606_185429.jpg

2. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Check the front pulley, that looks like a hex nut to me, if so, the nut unscrews and the pulley is mounted on a tapered shaft. Some pumps in '64 had pressed on pulleys and some were on tapered shafts with a lock nut. The Federal pumps uses the same mounting hardware and that pump is available rebuilt at www.carid.com for about $200. Do not remember a saginaw pump for '64

You can also have your existing pump rebuilt at www.larescorp.com

Dave

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. 413

413 Active Member

The pulley presses on. You have to take the reservoir off and support the shaft from the back or you will destroy thE pump. That is not a nut, it is a hex shape built on the pulley that does not turn. There are no threads, press fit only.

I have a 1962 Chrysler 383 with the smaller pump like you have. I used a kit bought from eBay, Edelman 7900 and it fit like magic.

Power Steering Pump Rebuild Kit-Repair Kit Edelmann 7900 | eBay

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Well, ok then. I stand corrected.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drew-Pritchett

Awesome, thanks guys. One more question, how in the world do I remove the shaft from the pump body to replace the o-rings in it??? Yals help is truly invaluable.

6. Drew-Pritchett

Wondering if anyone has any advice on how to remove the shaft from the pump body? That's one tuff cookie to figure out.

7. Drew-Pritchett

Dang, I ordered this exact kit and it's still too big....I'm totally lost on this I've spent near 75 bucks in different rebuild kits and none fit. Time to just buy a Saginaw and swap over I guess. Ugh