1964 Imperial door spring

64 Imp Crown

Reaction score
I had a spring break in the door. It's by the henge and it is the one that helps hold the door open instead of swinging free. I need help finding one.

Door Hinge Spring--Found a substitue

If you accurately measure the spring's three key characteristics, you'll easily find a replacement out there somewhere, quite likely at a good hardware store or Depot/Lowes. Coil length, coil diameter, and wire diameter (you'll need a cheapo caliper if you don't already have one or a micrometer).

A spring is a spring....it doesn't have to be a Chrysler part.

you should do more than just replace the spring.
when the door stop/check strut/arm breaks it will let the heavy door swing open fully and it will damage the body work.
all the 64-66 imps ive had have had at least 1 if not both front door check struts crack..
imps up to 66 just about always have probs over time with the door check set up.
the metal used in the arms doesnt age well.
you can get kits on ebay or figure something out on your own if you are handy.
im not particularly so i bought the kits, 1 for each door.....
heres 1 seller
1960-1966 Chrysler Imperial Door Hinge Stop Repair Kit | eBay

and another who's cheaper

1958 - 1966 Chrysler Imperial Hinge Door Stop Repair Kit - Repro Keeper Check | eBay

1958 - 1966 Chrysler Imperial Hinge Door Stop Repair Kit - Repro Keeper Check | eBay

Huge price difference!:wideyed:

you should do more than just replace the spring.
when the door stop/check strut/arm breaks it will let the heavy door swing open fully and it will damage the body work.
all the 64-66 imps ive had have had at least 1 if not both front door check struts crack..
imps up to 66 just about always have probs over time with the door check set up.
the metal used in the arms doesnt age well.
you can get kits on ebay or figure something out on your own if you are handy.
im not particularly so i bought the kits, 1 for each door.....
heres 1 seller
1960-1966 Chrysler Imperial Door Hinge Stop Repair Kit | eBay

and another who's cheaper

Right now I'm just doing a spring. I got lucky with the Imperial I found. Survivor that was in a private collection for the last 30yrs.

if you are only only doing the spring at the moment make sure to keep a hand on the door if its not latched.
it can swing open and break on the nicest survivor car and you will have a bill for body work and paint matching

if you are only only doing the spring at the moment make sure to keep a hand on the door if its not latched.
it can swing open and break on the nicest survivor car and you will have a bill for body work and paint matching
Thanks. I know. That's why I'm doing it in a garage so I dont have to worry about the wind.

I got and installed the kits and some single parts from DannOrama (the Ebay link on a previous post) last summer and over a year later all my front doors are Still working correctly.These are Heavier coupe doors on my '66 Coupe and Conv.too. I may buy an extra kit or two, just in case! You never know when these will be unavailable.

Next question. I tried for an hour to get the spring on. Is there a way of doing it without taking the henge off? Trying to keep from disassembling as much as possible since the car has never been apart and the doors don't sag and are just as solid as the day she left the assembly line.

You could try stretching the spring and installing washers in the coils. I made a Hook from a good metal coat hanger and used Visegrips as a handle. There is a "sweet spot" on the hinge when the door is partially opened. It is a Big pain and you need patience. Walk away for some time or overnight and try again. Once you hook the spring and grease everything It will all be worth it. The IML has Very good directions

PTDC0153.JPG

PTDC0151.JPG

You could try stretching the spring and installing washers in the coils. I made a Hook from a good metal coat hanger and used Visegrips as a handle. There is a "sweet spot" on the hinge when the door is partially opened. It is a Big pain and you need patience. Walk away for some time or overnight and try again. Once you hook the spring and grease everything It will all be worth it. The IML has Very good directions

View attachment 318153

View attachment 318154
Thanks for the info. Wouldn't of thought about putting washers to stretch it out.

I’ve had a couple original rebuilt kits in my shop since the ‘70s when I bought them from the local Imperial dealer (they even had the rear heater blowers for my Ghia-Imperial!) but maybe the modern reproduction kits will last longer. Even on 4-door models the doors are heavy!

I installed the kit from Dannorama today. Still available a month ago and fit perfectly. I agree it was a pain to install the spring - my left hand still hurts. I used a piece of wire to pull the spring towards the attachment hole. Also I had to do as advised on the Imperial club website; cut a little bit off the "hooks" at the ends of the spring to make the opening a little bigger.

IMG_9461.jpg IMG_9496.jpg IMG_9499.jpgIMG_9501.jpgIMG_9502.jpg

I did both my '66 Imp Coupes a few years ago with Dans parts and all doors stay open as they should. "The Juice was worth the Squeeze ! "

Back