Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross Wooldridge

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hey all,

Would anyone have in their stash, the correct alternator mounting brackets for a Leece Neville alternator setup, for a 65/66 B/RB motor with AC?

Just doing a wild stab in the dark.

My Monaco might have had a Leece Neville setup when new, but there's no way to tell. What I do know is that all the other electrical stuff underhood is what you'd find on a police issue car - proper factory MAD conversion, adjustible regulator on the inner fender rather than the firewall, etc etc. Everything points to one expecting to see a Leece Neville alternator... except for the fact that I can find no other evidence that the car ever had one.

According to the parts book, the 65-66 Leece Neville alternator setup used completely different bracketry than the regular round-back alternators we're used to. As long as I've owned my car it's had a round back alternator on it. However, odd things happen to cars over their life - perhaps it had a Leece Neville alternator originally, and it took a dump early on, and being out in the prairies perhaps the challenge to find a rebuilt Leece Neville (or a competent affordable rebuilder) was too much, and someone just retrofitted a regular setup on the car. Just sayin' ...

I expect the car simply came with the police/taxi issue round back 59 amp heavy duty alternator that's also listed in the parts book - BUT - the car is too rare and special (in my ever so humble opinion - lol) to not explore the options of trying to restore it back to what it might have come with. So - if I can find the bracketry, I know where I can get a Leece Neville that's correct. Hmmm... what to do? At least if I found all the bits and pieces, I'd have options!

What ya got people?

Pictures would be helpful here. I’d keep an eye out if I knew what to look for.

Sorry, I can't help there... never seen a setup with it.

All I can offer is that L-N alternators are clearly marked as such with data plates on the unit, and all I can assume is that their dedicated bracketry would be correct, since they're solely for that application according to the parts book.

Any idea if they resemble later model (say 80s L-N) No pictures found
272851-woman-finds-a-needle-in-a-haystack-.jpg

Only info I found on allpar
Chrysler Canada did not make alternators standard until 1963; they purchased generators from Auto-Lite’s Sarnia (Ontario) factory, while selling optional Leece-Neville alternators of 60 to 100 amps. (The Electric Auto-Lite Company of Toledo, Ohio had been Chrysler’s main ignition and electrical supplier since 1935.)

Last edited:
Couldn't tell you actually if they're the same brackets from a later year - as for the alternator, there's many different iterations out there, most being higher amperage than what was offered in 66.

Ross I have this setup from a 66 New Yorker and most likely won't be using it. whether it's a LN or not I couldn't say but I'll check this weekend for you?

IMG_3308.JPG

Hey we're all just tryin to bring back these really cool old cars...I can see I'm gonna have a ton of stuff left over that maybe someone else can get some use out of. And folks are sending me stuff from here already....

Update: I have confirmed from an unusual code on my fender tag that my car came with the 59 amp round back alternator, and NOT Leece-Neville, so I can rest easy that my car has the right stuff on it.

Thanks everyone for their help and interest, and for @Bill Watson for decoding my tag. Interesting stuff on there, which confirms a number of things I already knew about my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back