1965 413 thermostat blew up

mopar440

Reaction score
My New Yorker temp started to creep up yesterday. I let it cool down 1/2 hour , and when i started it, it wouldn't go down.

Tore it apart and found this? What happened? I had posted about this thermostat a year ago, and was told " keep it, best thermostat you'll ever have"

What happened?

IMG_20210615_190416847.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it was stressed from open and closing many times and just flat gave up. 50+ years is pretty good service.

Dave

My New Yorker temp started to creep up yesterday. I let it cool down 1/2 hour , and when i started it, it wouldn't go down.

Tore it apart and found this? What happened? I had posted about this thermostat a year ago, and was told " keep it, best thermostat you'll ever have"

What happened?

View attachment 466848

Looks like some NOS Carroll thermostats I bought a few months ago. How long did you run it? I currently run a Robert Shaw clone by Holley (Mr. Gasket) but have been curious about the Carroll stats.

Came w the car, it sat 25+ years, i drove it 2 yesrs. I was told it was s industrial thermostat

That thing sure is very heavy duty looking

I’d like to see Project Farm put one of those through its paces against the competition

That thing sure is very heavy duty looking

I’d like to see Project Farm put one of those through its paces against the competition

FWIW, those Carroll stats I bought are rated as race stats. Down here, where we're currently getting 115F temperatures in the afternoon, high flow helps. I'm thinking about upgrading my pump too.

FWIW, those Carroll stats I bought are rated as race stats. Down here, where we're currently getting 115F temperatures in the afternoon, high flow helps. I'm thinking about upgrading my pump too.

Are you saying they aren’t for street car usage?

Are you saying they aren’t for street car usage?
I wouldn't go that far. If I lived in a cold climate, which might not be best suited for running "race" grade parts, one might try more conservative thermostats. I DO KNOW that I've NEVER had BETTER coolant temperature than with this Mr. Gasket Robert Shaw knockoff I now run. If you look at the 1966 FSM, such a thermostat is depicted there, implying that such once WAS standard to our B/RB engines. My 383 certainly runs better for it, even now. I suspect that the stat depicted by the OP here simply had outlived itself. I replace mine at least annually, when changing out the coolant in the autumn, if not earlier in the year, I knew this summer would be BAD, and then my Cold Case radiator disintegrated due to my own ill placed bonding conductor, so I did all my cooling system work about 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Came w the car, it sat 25+ years, i drove it 2 yesrs. I was told it was s industrial thermostat

Nope! These were top rated poppet thermostats 50 yrs ago. I say what you had in your 413 simply overstayed its useful time in there by some decades. Brass isn't as strong as the steel used in modern, cheap stamped steel thermostats, and after subjugation to the heat and pressure of normal use for long beyond the foreseen life expectancy, your stat simply split after so much use. Quantum failure phenomena abound in this universe, with straws breaking multitudes of dromedary vertebrae....

Nope! These were top rated poppet thermostats 50 yrs ago. I say what you had in your 413 simply overstayed its useful time in there by some decades. Brass isn't as strong as the steel used in modern, cheap stamped steel thermostats, and after subjugation to the heat and pressure of normal use for long beyond the foreseen life expectancy, your stat simply split after so much use. Quantum failure phenomena abound in this universe, with straws breaking multitudes of dromedary vertebrae....
So crazy where it broke..

Back