1965 Chrysler New Yorker Tail Light Lenses

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced or just removed the tail light lenses of a 1965 Chrysler New Yorker? My car has the clear lenses and one of the red plastic lense rectangles fell down inside the lense compartment, and I would like to remove the lense and glue back the red rectangle to its correct position. Any help appreciated!

Has anyone replaced or just removed the tail light lenses of a 1965 Chrysler New Yorker? My car has the clear lenses and one of the red plastic lense rectangles fell down inside the lense compartment, and I would like to remove the lense and glue back the red rectangle to its correct position. Any help appreciated!
Pull the tail light bucket out of the car (5 or 6 nuts inside the trunk), then remove the chrome trim from the housing (8 or so small philips screws). The lense will then just pop out. You can see the holes for the screws in this photo. The backup light housing is not shown.

P7020682.JPG

Last edited:
I have and I have cleaned them with toothpaste. The lenses are so brittle though. I held them together with clear tape and then glued them with a two part clear glue. Put them back on and they look great. I will try to take some pictures this weekend for you.

Pull the tail light bucket out of the car (5 or 6 nuts inside the trunk), then remove the chrome trim from the housing (8 or so small philips screws). The lense will then just pop out. You can see the holes for the screws in this photo. The backup light housing is not shown.

View attachment 84003

Did you repaint those tail lights yourself? they look great!

View attachment 84003
Thanks! I'll work on it this afternoon. Let you know how things turn out.

I went into the trunk of my New Yorker. It doesn't look like the tail light bucket is supposed to come out. Here are some pictures to show you. Any thoughts?

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8170.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG

I went into the trunk of my New Yorker. It doesn't look like the tail light bucket is supposed to come out. Here are some pictures to show you. Any thoughts?
Those domed nuts you see are the ones holding it in. There should be about 6 of them. Then it just slides out.

Last edited:

Those domed nuts you see are the ones holding it in. There should be about 6 of them. Then it just slides out.

This is what it looks like behind the bucket. The oval holes you see are the mounting holes for the tail light. The domed nuts are in the trunk at these locations.

upload_2016-7-4_14-49-24.jpeg

I see the domed nuts inside; they are in my photo. The thing is, once I unscrew the domed nuts, I will have to break the caulking around the unit. There is caulk, both grayish and black all around the housing - on sides and top and bottom. The thing is not going to slide out without loosening, tugging, breaking the caulk. I would not expect and easy removal after 51 years. I guess I can do some pulling, etc. to get the thing off. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

I see the domed nuts inside; they are in my photo. The thing is, once I unscrew the domed nuts, I will have to break the caulking around the unit. There is caulk, both grayish and black all around the housing - on sides and top and bottom. The thing is not going to slide out without loosening, tugging, breaking the caulk. I would not expect and easy removal after 51 years. I guess I can do some pulling, etc. to get the thing off. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks.

Unless you mean that after I unscrew the nuts, the trim piece around the lenses comes off. After I looked again at your latest picture, I get the idea that I can take the lenses out from the outside of the car, is that right? I first thought I was supposed to access the lenses from the inside.

Unless you mean that after I unscrew the nuts, the trim piece around the lenses comes off. After I looked again at your latest picture, I get the idea that I can take the lenses out from the outside of the car, is that right? I first thought I was supposed to access the lenses from the inside.
The only way to remove the trim is to have the whole assembly on the bench in front of you. Another thing to note is the chrome trim has two stubs that extend under the stainless where I have noted on your picture. The bucket will not just slide forward with these still in the way. It has been 4 years since I put all this together, and am not positive anymore, but am fairly certain that the two stainless trims are just held in with spring clips and just need to be pried up gently.

taillight.jpg

The trim is only removable from the back. It is held on with screws at all the noted locations, plus the ones on the backup light bucket. Ignore the LED light in there :rolleyes:

left tail lamp housing.jpg

Last edited:
The only way to remove the trim is to have the whole assembly on the bench in front of you. Another thing to note is the chrome trim has two stubs that extend under the stainless where I have noted on your picture. The bucket will not just slide forward with these still in the way. It has been 4 years since I put all this together, and am not positive anymore, but am fairly certain that the two stainless trims are just held in with spring clips and just need to be pried up gently.

View attachment 84370
Thanks. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow or one other night this week. I'm actually confused on some of your terms, but I'll start by unscrewing the domed nuts. Maybe if I'm successful, I'll make a video of the process. I will do things slowly and gently so I don't break anything. Might need some more instruction. Thanks again.

Thanks. I'll see what I can figure out tomorrow or one other night this week. I'm actually confused on some of your terms, but I'll start by unscrewing the domed nuts. Maybe if I'm successful, I'll make a video of the process. I will do things slowly and gently so I don't break anything. Might need some more instruction. Thanks again.
Note the edited post above . I was doing that at the same time as you posted.

Note the edited post above . I was doing that at the same time as you posted.
Ok. So it looks like this whole bucket, comes out from the outside after the domed nuts are unscrewed, then. First, I would say the bulbs have to be removed before the domed nuts get unscrewed. I'll see what happens. Thanks again!

Ok. So it looks like this whole bucket, comes out from the outside after the domed nuts are unscrewed, then. First, I would say the bulbs have to be removed before the domed nuts get unscrewed. I'll see what happens. Thanks again!
Here is a picture of the trim. You can see the stubs that go under the trim between the lights

110.jpg

And here is a view of the whole assembly

141187844736_1.jpg

The back side of the bucket. This one is missing the centre mounting studs.

$_58.JPG

Here is a picture of the trim. You can see the stubs that go under the trim between the lights

110.jpg

And here is a view of the whole assembly

141187844736_1.jpg

The back side of the bucket. This one is missing the centre mounting studs.

$_58.JPG
Those pictures explain things. Thanks a lot. I'll follow up with photos of my bucket and lenses. Will work on this one night this week. Those are some nice parts you have there.

Oh wow. Aside from the rarity of the clear lenses (AFAIK they were only in early 65 and cancelled due to cracking issues) the housing is different too, which I didn't expect because the lens fresnels appear similar between clear and red lenses.

That was a design-intensive issue, to redesign the lenses AND the housings. It's a big deal today even with the use of computers to design the light output pattern, can't imagine what it was like being under the gun for it in 65, with a warranty issue breathing down your neck!

Back