1965 fury III front drum brake help

PhilSmith

Reaction score
I have a 65 fury 3 i just bought, it has front drums which look brand new. Problem is when i brake from just about any speed, the front end shudders REAL bad, think they might be warped? I would convert em to disc but I cant afford it ATM. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

No. Drums don't warp but you really need to do a full brake job and then move on to shocks and steering components. Worn stabilizer links are the primary cause for shudder when looking at the steering components.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Don't know about your big chunks of brakedrums. But from the little vintage VW beetle you could warp a front drum when you tightened the lug bolts absolutely uneven and drove it that way for a while. Pretty rarely the case so but some people seem to be able to do the impossible.

I would think the drums are not out of round but you never know. You can always pull them off and have them checked to be sure and rule it out.

Anyways, I would lean more towards some of the front steering components needing replacing. It is easy enough to check the shocks to see if they are working OK but shocks don't cause shudder. They cause bounce or "hopping". IMO/IME, the most common cause of front end shudder is due to worn tie rod ends and/or worn out idler arm followed by the various bushings. Take it to a good shop and have them inspect the front end. They should be able to tell you pretty quick.

Back