1965 fury Speedometer removal and calibration

Okie

Reaction score
How do I remove the speedometer on my 1965 Plymouth fury and also my speedometer shows about 7 mph faster at highway speeds than it really is. Can I adjust this somehow?

DA94643E-7C5A-4474-B4C3-7F69DC5B7E01.jpeg

Regarding calibration, I would be changing the plastic speedo cable drive in the trans tail housing . Charts in service manual.
I'm pretty sure there is no user friendly ways of calibrating the speedo itself.

Like rd92west said, the way to bring back the speedometer to reading "true" is through the speedo drive gear.
Since yours is reading wrong, I presume you changed something...either tires or diff ratio as these are what will affect how the speedo reads.

For the Speedo gear, if you don’t have a service manual call Brewers and explain your setup for tires and gear ratio and they will match the correct speedo gear. The repop gears are nice and include the correct clip.

Thanks for all the help! Does anyone know how to remove the speedometer from the dash? I’m wanting to get behind there for some electrical work.

You need to lower the steering colum a little.
Remove the bezel that covers the heater controls and radio. The heater knobs have little allen head screws up from the bottom. If you have a clock you need a small flat screw driver to unscrew the nut that holds the knob on.
Remove screws that hold the bezel on left side housing the ammeter, heat and fuel gauges. I think you can pull this away far enough to get speedometer out
Disconnect the speedo cable.
Carefully unplug the wiring connector that goes on the 4 long pins.
Unplug the turn signal bulb sockets
2 screws under the face of the speedo and 2 up under the top

The speedo in picture is a 66. The 65 is pretty much the same. Few minor differences
I likley forgot something

16402045988951842389386634175544.jpg

16402047157451031824980686015235.jpg

Back