1965 Imperial Inside Door Handle Removal

RKC

Reaction score
1965 Imperial: Where do I find a small enough phillips screw driver to remove the inside door handle? The screw is on the end of the handle next to the door panel, providing very little room for a tool.
Thanks!

Go for the bottom screw.
B3A03D97-9164-43A0-AACB-838062B80D96.jpeg

Looks like you have to remove chrome armrest plate to get to the screw that holds the door release handle from door, then you will have plenty of access to what ever you want on the handle.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg
ayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fg%2F7tcAAOSwFnFV-11G%2Fs-l300.jpg

Are you wanting to remove the barrel finger grab from handle arm? If so, are you sure there is a screw to remove it, I think it would be rivet held, so it would not loosen during use.

IMG_3145.jpeg

Pull the door handle back slightly and use a long phillips screw driver. Once you see it you'll know what to do. Very easy.

Do the brushes come out to access the screw or do I have to fish through the brushes to locate the screw?
Yes. If you take the brush clip out it will be very easy to see everything-and it will enable you to remove the door handle.

If you are just releasing the door handle in order to remove the interior door panel, you can just loosen the phillips screw, slide the handle off the hex rod it is attached to, remove all the other clips and screws, and take the door panel off with the door handle sitting loosely in the slot. Note: If you are removing and then re-attaching the door panels, tape the two long screws that go in to the door backing and are located inside the storage flap pocket, behind the two round metal disc hole covers inside the pocket. These are the long-reach screws that will easily pop out of the screw driver and fall down to the bottom of the inside of the door-which means you have to remove the panel and fish them out-and start over. I like to tape the each of the two screws to the screw driver so that it will not come off until after you've turned the screw in to the door, whereupon the tape just peels off. Do it and you'll see what I mean.

Back