1965 Newport

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This car was in the for sale section this week. Ad was on/off CraigsLis in Detroit.

Carmine went to see it for me earlier this week, took really good pics that unfortunately disappeared with the thread that was HERE.

Joey said it disappeared HERE because the CL was bounced by CL? Seller is a good guy .. dunno what the deal was between him and CL .. and now I own this one.

Seller Description - $1,600 OBO

For sale is a 1965 Chrysler Newport 2 Door. This car is a real barn find. Sitting covered up since 1981, I am the second owner. It is currently not running yet. I was told it was a running car back in the day. This is definitely a rare cool Newport with the floor console and buckets, not too many were made this way,

It is a original 383 four barrel car with 109,00 miles on it. So it does turn over, just not fast enough to start it, I did all the cosmetic stuff to this engine, such as put in a new water pump, new fuel pump, Mancini 8 mil racing wires, new plugs, hi torque starter, new rebuilt alternator, oil filter, air filter, hoses and belts, I had the carburetor rebuilt for $200.00 dollars.

This car also comes with the disc brake assembly to convert over to disc brakes, (4) 15'' inch tires and rims and many new Moog front end parts.

The body is straight, it has great glass and chrome molding all around. It does have the original Mopar floor mats. It does have some rust in the rear quarters and the interior should be re done. Overall not a bad car for 53 years old to restore.

My goal is NOT "like it was brand new or better" .. I just want a really neat daily driver. Occasionally I will need to bug y'all (and Murray Park) for parts. NO A/C? don't care .. its a windows down cruiser for me. Skirts are in the trunk.
Anybody with information/brochures to post or point me too .. a console car with two-tone interior in a "65 Newp is new to me ... would also be appreciated.

Yes, its getting white letter tires .. rims not sure yet :)

I will add more pics later and some along the resto path which will last all this coming winter.

image0000011.jpg
image0000021.jpg
PART951539974082047.jpg
PART951539974128464.jpg
00a0a_24CHb61xKjv_1200x900.jpg
00V0V_5gkTclTLJnb_1200x900.jpg
00l0l_dpSCkm5Oywc_1200x900.jpg
00M0M_10RBjU63mrm_1200x900.jpg
00909_eBfG5O3LL4B_1200x900.jpg

Congrats on that one, Love it, It's very close to the exact car I was brought home in from the Hospital. Ours was a 4dr thou. Looking forward to watching your build.

i tried for this car last week but didnt get it.

For Sale - 1965 Chrysler Newport 2dsd $ 7,500

figured id do my own but i rrally liked this look. guess two-tone interior was common?
I really liked that black one too but I your console would have had me really thinking twice... I know it’s a minor thing but Chrysler consoles in the slabs all made me very happy.

couple questions for anyone to comment on or point me to a thread here.

1. disc brake front conversion
2. "saggy a**" lift - new spring project?
3. surest factory engine decode for 65's?

thx.

Discs are easy. 69-72 or 73 if you can find them. Bolt in. Dual res disc master cylinder and a disc brake power booster. You have a console shift so you have the added bonus of being able to use the much easier to find, slightly larger late model booster that would have interfered with a column shift linkage.

Kevin

My mom drove a red '65 when I was a baby.... I thought she was piloting a rocketship from the looks of the dash, lol

Amazinblue, where do you live?

I'm in Eau Claire, WI. Just curious if we're close.
John Modl

Amazinblue, where do you live? I'm in Eau Claire, WI. Just curious if we're close.
John Modl

Hey John .. i am in Metro Detroit area. Not a Yooper. beautiful country up there around you. Thanks for asking tho. :)

Interest how Chrysler advertised the Newport. Obviously targeting smaller, "comparably equipped" competitor cars in the same price class with a BIG car.

Is this bronze car a '65? Anybody recognize the wheel cover?

Also, 1965 B/RB engine color should be turquoise right?

00-1-2-2-2.jpg

00-1-2-2-3.jpg

Interest how Chrysler advertised the Newport. Obviously targeting smaller, "comparably equipped" competitor cars in the same price class with a BIG car.

Is this bronze car a '65? Anybody recognize the wheel cover?

Also, 1965 B/RB engine color should be turquoise right?

View attachment 223005
View attachment 223007

The bronze car is a 66.

Engine color depends. US production should be turquoise. Canadian production engines were red.

Kevin

Congrats on your purchase, I saw this one in the ad someone posted here. I guess this is the start of your build thread? Looking forward to following along on your progress.:thumbsup:

Congrats on your purchase, I saw this one in the ad someone posted here. I guess this is the start of your build thread? Looking forward to following along on your progress.:thumbsup:

hey boss. yeah, i thought about here, or in the restoration thread section. truth is all the work is gonna be done in my Carolina operations (one of my long time body/mechanical guys moved there last year). His only deficiency? cant/wont take good pics to save his life.

So, i will post here now and then and when were are done next april post the final product.

How is it all the Michiganders are going south, a friend of mine that was a City of Detroit fireman moved to South Carolina a few years ago. Other than the hurricanes he loves it.

Back