1965 pace car restoration

Very nice, someday I hope to have mine looking as good as yours does.
Good luck! I have been at it for two years, 65 convertible, and the problem is finding parts; new or old. Cross over year! My advice, buy another to drive while you work, slave, search so you have something to drive!

That beats anybody I know for a daily driver. Do you have a thread on this? I've missed it if you do.
No I haven’t created an album yet.

7398ECF4-0E3C-42B2-A8FE-165FDC85EB8F.jpeg

Took the convertible to our main Chrysler show a few weeks ago where we got the top convertible trophy. Also a couple of pics of my latest Plymouth project.

56B2FB3B-C127-43FE-8672-8112737695BC.jpeg

06D763EC-BE63-4EA1-A62D-3842AFE9DEF1.jpeg

AB2871A2-A0C7-4ACC-BF70-A3271D000CEE.jpeg

E6CEC31F-78F5-448F-A705-F35AD6C1BCAF.jpeg

5CD3DB98-9C84-4015-8E2A-468D35F1759E.jpeg

8DDEDCED-8D4E-4B51-9EB6-3733953040C1.jpeg

The 58 is looking great, already in paint, nice!
Congrats on the best vert no surprise there.:)

I have not had the convertible out for a while due to spending time sorting our next build. Hope to give it a good run and look at the kick down over the next couple of weeks. I am not 100% sure its working correctly.

IMG_9398.jpeg

739.jpg

Terry, Hopefully you have the heating issue on your convertible solved since you added the shroud. If is still persists, I did notice you don't have the hood to core support seal. Not sure if they help much anyway but here is a pic of mine. It only covers the center portion of the core. Ma Mopar must have thought it was needed.

100_0028.JPG

Terry, Hopefully you have the heating issue on your convertible solved since you added the shroud. If is still persists, I did notice you don't have the hood to core support seal. Not sure if they help much anyway but here is a pic of mine. It only covers the center portion of the core. Ma Mopar must have thought it was needed.

View attachment 496128
thanks for that. Yeah my temp is pretty good now but that seal does make a difference from what i've researched.

Exceptional work TerryM!:thumbsup:

We are big fans of 65 Fury's here in the UK.

Your attention to detail on this wonderful build has 'blown me away'...

There is still a lot of 'mis-info' on the 65 pace cars even today?

As far as I know the two track cars had RED interiors and had 383 engines.
Maybe the lead out car got a souped up 426, who knows.

The one given to Jim Clark is still hidden away somewhere in the UK...:wtf:

1965-Plymouth-Sport-Fury-ad.jpg

1965-Plymouth-Sport-Fury-pace-car.jpg

Exceptional work TerryM!:thumbsup:

We are big fans of 65 Fury's here in the UK.

Your attention to detail on this wonderful build has 'blown me away'...

There is still a lot of 'mis-info' on the 65 pace cars even today?

As far as I know the two track cars had RED interiors and had 383 engines.
Maybe the lead out car got a souped up 426, who knows.

The one given to Jim Clark is still hidden away somewhere in the UK...:wtf:
Thanks mate.
The story I was told on the Jim Clark car was that he never accepted it as he was sponsored by Ford. Ford provided him with a compatible 65 Ford convertible.
There were 47 cars handed over to the festival committee by Chrysler to be used for the festival activities and 33 used on race day for the parade laps, a couple of cars carry the standard V8 fender badge used on 318 and 426 vehicles. All cars were supposed to have been assembled through the February 1965 period. There has always been talk of the pace car having a 426 wedge, but the car carries the 383 commando badges. It did have wider rims on it (that's why the caps are spinner delete ones). I have collected quite a bit of photos and newspapers from around the event over the last few years. Quite a few pics and stories in the lead up the the race especially in the Indianapolis Star newspaper. All cars were supposed to be blue top and blue interior. I've read before of some people saying red interiors on a few and even a manual car but no photos seem to collaborate that. Regards Terry
View attachment 504198

View attachment 504199

pic1.JPG

pic2.JPG

pic3.JPG

pic4.jpg

Wonderful pictures there Terry!

Is that a 65 fury wagon in the centre of the picture?
My Mopar-mate is restoring a 383ci wagon over here, they is very rare too lol!

The work you have done on the 65 Convert is truly remarkable, YOU are a STAR!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Do you know Kev Bulmer from the UK, he used to run the ''Brisbane taxi'' drag car here in England?
He moved over some ten years ago to get 'out of the rain' lol...
Eleven second 318ci four door Aussie Valiant!

Brisbane taxi Kev.jpg

taxi engine 318 11 seconds.JPG

Last edited:
My mistake on the red interior!
This must be a very rare example of a 65 Fury convert 500 car with red-guts?
You can see in the original picture from Indy, that car has a blue interior!

Grab handles would be a great find too...:steering:

1965-plymouth-sport-fury-convertible-pace-car (1).jpg

1965-plymouth-sport-fury-convertible-pace-car.jpg

Back