1965 Plymouth Sport Fury Fuel Tank

bam344

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently picked up my first Mopar classic and it is a little needy. First on my list is the fuel tank. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the complete 1965 passenger car parts catalog and came across this schematic. I actually found a tank online and it came with a single piece of a filler neck, as the schematic shows. My question is, what is missing in the drawing? With the single section of filler neck it doesn't seem like it will make it to the fuel door. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fuel System Schematic.jpg

Fuel System Schematic.jpg

That drawing is not correct for a 65 Fury. It looks more like a 65 Belvedere/Satellite. Fury has the fuel filler tube on the left side rear as the filler is in the left rear fender. 66 Fury is behind the license plate similar to the 65 Belvedere.

I went and looked over the drawing again and the straps are running the wrong way. You're correct, the drawing is inaccurate. Now back to square one.

Save yourself the trouble of looking for a fuel tank I doubt you'll find one. Best to take your tank to a radiator shop and have it cleaned and epoxy lined. Fuel lines for your car are available at inlinetube.com

The problem is someone put a different tank on the car and cut a hole in the back bumper to run the filler neck through. So I'll have to take the license plate off to put gas in. I found a used tank off of another 65 sport fury but the pipe that comes up through the quarter to the fuel door with the fuel cap is missing. Thanks for the link for fuel lines.

If you already have a tank now that goes through the rear bumper, just get a license plate hinge thingie for now and keep looking for the rest of the parts to go with your correct tank. I believe all 65 Fury (except wagons) have the same tank and fuel fill setup so it shouldn't be too difficult to get what you need.

Back