1965 stock 383 don't like trafic jam

mathiew

Reaction score
I have 1965 300 2 barrels, everything is stock, it run well at normal speed, but when traffic jam it start to run bad, stumble and exhaust pop, and after 5 min to run in normal speed it run good!

based on your description, it sounds like the carb is loading up and leaking into the intake...
I would check the float level of the carb as it seems like it is a bit higher than spec. level
Maybe time for a rebuild if it hasn't been done in a while

I would summize that the carb is loading up with fuel causing a rich condition. Check the mixture screws first and if necessary the float level.

You might also be boiling the carb as the engine will run hotter in traffic due to less air flow thru the radiator. Check your heat riser to be sure it is not stuck as that will also boil the carb.

Dave

You might also be boiling the carb as the engine will run hotter in traffic due to less air flow thru the radiator. Check your heat riser to be sure it is not stuck as that will also boil the carb.

Dave

good point Dave. I had forgotten about that part...

It’s open or closed?

4099F42D-ABBF-4EA0-B610-C8186DC99130.jpeg

THANKS - I'm having the same problem with the Diplomat, we've tried everything else, maybe THIS is the culprit.

First check to see if it moves freely. The weight should be down when the valve is open.

Dave

Its free but broken spring! Seam to be alway down! Wich way my carb will not be heated? Down or up?

Last edited:
‘68- 383 & 440 counter clockwise is open. 318 is clockwise.
If you blip the throttle when it is warm you should see it rotate ccw if it is free. Even if it is working, at idle it will be partially closed as it uses the exhaust gas flow to open it.

My counterweight is a little different than what the manual shows. I have no up or down as it is eccentric.
image.jpg

The picture in the service manual shows the Counter weight up when cold. As the thermostat spring heats up I believe it allows the Counterweight to over come the spring force and rotate down. I am not 100% sure for 65 but I think it is very similar. You should be able to down load a 65 service manual for free
image.jpg

Thank, I think it’s not my heat riser, I want to try a phenolic spacer, this will fit? Do I have a rochester carb?

3596971B-F836-4C56-8EF6-53057D2032B6.png

Back