1965 Windsor

Dallas Cruz

Reaction score
Hey i'm new here. I'm building a 65 Windsor. This is my first project. I plan on dropping the c ar and painting everything back, no chrome. It came with a 361, which I've pulled. I got myself a 383 block and will be building that for her. So far i'm in the process of stripping her down.

wind1.jpg
wind2.jpg
IMG_1933.JPG
IMG_8259.JPG
IMG_8920.JPG

Hey i'm new here. I'm building a 65 Windsor. This is my first project. I plan on dropping the c ar and painting everything back, no chrome. It came with a 361, which I've pulled. I got myself a 383 block and will be building that for her. So far i'm in the process of stripping her down.

View attachment 195524 View attachment 195525 View attachment 195526 View attachment 195527 View attachment 195528

Good luck with your project. Be sure to save all of the chrome and other parts like the engine you are not going to use. These types of parts are hard to come by and have value to others. Be sure while you have it disassembled that you put a full set of rubber bushings in the front end and inspect the steering linkage and ball joints for excessive wear as this is a whole lot easier with the car apart. This is also the perfect time to do a disc brake conversion if that is what you are planning to do. Also buy yourself a copy of the FSM for the car as it will be invaluable as a reference for how to do various repair projects as part of the restoration.

Dave

View attachment 195524 View attachment 195525 View attachment 195526 View attachment 195527 View attachment 195528

If by dropping the car, you mean lowering it, be careful as to how you do that as the front steering geometry does not take kindly to being lowered as it was designed to operate withing certain height limits. Once you get outside of those limits, the camber angle, caster angle and toe settings are adversely effected. This will make the car handle like crap and eat tires.

Dave

Looks like a pretty nice car to start with. Is that a red interior I see? Can you post a pic of the fender tag?

Good ole B.C. cars. Lest they were parked under a tree, usually hung in quite well.
I miss the Windsors. Haven't seen one in person since I lived out there.
Good luck with the project and say "hi" to the Wack for me.

That would be a hard no. If you’re going to alter a vehicle that much you just throw practicality and potentially some safety out the window but it will look kool.

Haha you must have lived here in the "wack"
Actually lived in Van but had a lot of friends from there. Used to be our first stop when we'd cruise out to Alberta. Nothing like a C Body in the mountains!

Is there anything that can be done to the suspension to make it operate correctly when its lowered?

A company called PST used make a drop spindle kit for these cars. That will lower the front end about 2" and they claim they can do it without adversely effecting handling and alignment. I would be skeptical of this claim, but for your reference their website is:
www.p-s-t.com.

Keep in mind that these cars are very big and very long with a lot of rear axle over hang. Any significant dropping of the ride height is going to make getting in and out of driveways all but impossible.

A an update, they no longer show a listing for the C-Body drop spindle.

Dave

Corrected Post

Last edited:
A company called PST still makes a drop spindle kit for these cars. That will lower the front end about 2" and they claim they can do it without adversely effecting handling and alignment. I would be skeptical of this claim, but for your reference their website is:
www.p-s-t.com.

Keep in mind that these cars are very big and very long with a lot of rear axle over hang. Any significant dropping of the ride height is going to make getting in and out of driveways all but impossible.

Dave
I thought their drop spindles were A B E only, no C.

Maybe remove the T bars and bag it like the Chevy guys do. That way you can have the slammed look for slow cruise in town and you have the ability to raise it up for driveways and to restore stock height while highway cruising. The boys in Calf are the bagging experts.

well i'll give you an idea where i'm headed with the car. I'm using this Lincoln as inspiration so I really do wanna slam it. I will be doing everything flat black instead of gloss.View attachment 195897
That suede black, slammed look jumped the shark a couple years ago... Why build something with such an outdated look? Lowered (not slammed), gloss paint and clean looks never go out of style.

Ohh myyy gawwwd are we really gonna turn this thread into a debate about what I’m gonna do to MY car and my lingo!? Nobody ain’t got time for that lol. Guess ******* what I’m gonna slam it and paint it all flat black because it’s gonna look sick as ****. I ******* hate chrome and gloss paint. Let me guess you all get the seniors discount when you go out to eat.

1990 called... and they are looking for your car and I guess probably you....

Back