1966 300 Console Vacuum Gauge

motorama55

Reaction score
After removing the front chrome bezel from the console mounted vacuum gauge to clean the glass lens, I found out that there are two gaskets inside that quickly crumbled into pieces after removing the lens. There is a gasket/seal between the chrome bezel and the front face of the glass lens and another seal between the back face of the lens and an inner black bezel that is mounted in front of the gauge. Wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement for these two gaskets/seals?

I found this rubber ring on EBay that may work as the front of glass lens to chrome bezel seal/gasket.

042 O-ring. 3-1/4" ID x 3-3/8" OD x 1/16" thick. Buna-70. Quan 1. | eBay

I will update how this works out after the rubber ring arrives

front seal.jpg

Also, my initial thought for the other seal was to order a 1/8" thick sheet of neoprene foam rubber and attempt to cut it out with an exacto knife

Here are the outer chrome bezel, the glass lens, black inner bezel and what's
bezels.jpeg
left of the front gasket/seal.

Those would be too wide and too thick. The inner diameter needs to be 3.25” and no more than 1/8” thick

Those would be too wide and too thick. The inner diameter needs to be 3.25” and no more than 1/8” thick
Why don't you post a pic of what's left so we're not shooting arrows in the dark! Or is that to complicated?

The old gasket, you moron! Here, go make your own! Good Luck
[/URL]
Moron!!!!!!! I did post a picture of what was left of the old gasket/seal. Why don't you try looking at previous post before you go calling someone a moron. I also posted a picture of the seal that I ordered along with the dimensions of that gasket along with a link to that o ring. When I get the new o ring I will post additional pictures to show how that one works out.

Anyone who has either had to change out the bulb or upgraded to LED lighting for the vacuum/performance gauge has had to remove the front lens to do so. I'm sure someone on this board has already tackled this job and run into the same problem. I was just looking to tap into the collective expertise of this board. I am new to this board, but like most boards, it takes little time to figure out the personality of some of the frequent posters.

Anyone who has either had to change out the bulb or upgraded to LED lighting for the vacuum/performance gauge has had to remove the front lens to do so. I'm sure someone on this board has already tackled this job and run into the same problem. I was just looking to tap into the collective expertise of this board. I am new to this board, but like most boards, it takes little time to figure out the personality of some of the frequent posters.
Don't worry about Stubb's, he's not always as tactful as he could be, but he means well. I appreciate this thread for what it is. There are more of this type of thread on FABO, but I'd have to search for them.

I found out that there are two gaskets inside that quickly crumbled into pieces after removing the lens. Wondering if anyone has found a suitable replacement for these two gaskets/seals?

Also, my initial thought for the other seal was to order a 1/8" thick sheet of neoprene foam rubber and attempt to cut it out with an exacto knife

I only see one gasket in all your pictures, and I said to post a pic. You say you already did that! So, where's the pic of the second gasket, or what's left of it?? Who's the Moron now?
And people wonder why I have issues with people on the web!

Motorama55 came looking for an o-ring, and somehow found an *******. I'm pretty sure calling some one a moron is in no way, shape, or fashion "meaning well"

I only see one gasket in all your pictures, and I said to post a pic. You say you already did that! So, where's the pic of the second gasket, or what's left of it?? Who's the Moron now?
And people wonder why I have issues with people on the web!
The inner gasket that goes between the back face of the glass lens and the front of the black inner bezel was made of some type of light foam rubber material that basically dissolved into dust when the lens was removed, so there was nothing left to take a picture of. I have ordered some foam material and will attempt to fabricate gasket/dust seal and will post some pictures later if I have any success. As I mentioned earlier, I know anyone who has had to change out the bulb in this vacuum gauge has most likely run into this problem and thought someone would have likely responded with a solution that they came up with.

Last edited:
Motorama55 came looking for an o-ring, and somehow found an *******. I'm pretty sure calling some one a moron is in no way, shape, or fashion "meaning well"
Thanks Justin. I would agree that there is no reason for the insults and name calling. My feeling is that you just embarrass yourself when you resort to this. We are all here to help one another on this board and provide a source of information. If you are frustrated with someone's post and that they didn't provide enough detail or pictures or whatever.........then just ignore it. Nobody asked him to weigh in on this.

Back