1966 ,300 rear taillight chrome split

Exterior, Paint & Bodywork

1. Bryon Mason

Bryon Mason New Member

is there any type of fix for this or do I need to scour the internet for a used one that doesn't exist? 20201006_124955.jpg

2. stubs300

stubs300 Senior Member

That split is supposed to be there, I can't tell if you've tweaked the inner piece or not? Good Luck finding one, and if you do. Be very prepared to open the wallet & cough up lots. Good Luck

3. Zymurgy

Zymurgy Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

They are riveted from the factory. If you remove it from the car you might be able to rivet it back together if not broken. JB weld won't hold it together.

FYI you need to basically remove the bumper to remove the whole tailight assembly, which is the only way to attempt the repair. I completely loosen the bolts on the opposite side of the bumper, and remove the bolts on the side you want to remove. Doing it this way you don't have to completely drop it, which is nice if you don't have an extra set of hands.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bryon Mason

Bryon Mason New Member

Great info, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zymurgy

Zymurgy Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

If you find out you can't get it back together, I would take pictures and see if you can get a chrome guy to repair it and then re-chome both sides.

Do them both at the same time because they might not do the second set. My chrome guy said not to refer anyone to him, not interested in doing them ever again. They must be a real pain.

These things just don't exist, which you have already discovered, so we must restore what we have. Good luck.

6. 1970cat

1970cat Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

looks like the top of the bumper got hit , splitting the bottom of the housing and twisting the top. there may not be much hope for it . trying to bend it back will most likely break it.