1966 ,300 rear taillight chrome split

Bryon Mason

Reaction score
is there any type of fix for this or do I need to scour the internet for a used one that doesn't exist?
20201006_124955.jpg

That split is supposed to be there, I can't tell if you've tweaked the inner piece or not? Good Luck finding one, and if you do. Be very prepared to open the wallet & cough up lots. Good Luck

They are riveted from the factory. If you remove it from the car you might be able to rivet it back together if not broken. JB weld won't hold it together.

FYI you need to basically remove the bumper to remove the whole tailight assembly, which is the only way to attempt the repair. I completely loosen the bolts on the opposite side of the bumper, and remove the bolts on the side you want to remove. Doing it this way you don't have to completely drop it, which is nice if you don't have an extra set of hands.

They are riveted from the factory. If you remove it from the car you might be able to rivet it back together if not broken. JB weld won't hold it together.

FYI you need to basically remove the bumper to remove the whole tailight assembly, which is the only way to attempt the repair. I completely loosen the bolts on the opposite side of the bumper, and remove the bolts on the side you want to remove. Doing it this way you don't have to completely drop it, which is nice if you don't have an extra set of hands.
Great info, thanks!

If you find out you can't get it back together, I would take pictures and see if you can get a chrome guy to repair it and then re-chome both sides.

Do them both at the same time because they might not do the second set. My chrome guy said not to refer anyone to him, not interested in doing them ever again. They must be a real pain.

These things just don't exist, which you have already discovered, so we must restore what we have. Good luck.

looks like the top of the bumper got hit , splitting the bottom of the housing and twisting the top. there may not be much hope for it . trying to bend it back will most likely break it.

It's been a long time since I've posted here so sorry for the late replay. The answer is yes they are riveted at the factory and yes it can be repaired. I am in the process of replacing mine. It only took 5 yards looking for a donor set that I had repaired and rechromed.
The good news is I have an unbroken left (drivers side) available and I won't be looking to rape anyone on the price as long as I know it's going on a car and not on the shelf or on the market after it leaves me.
PS: I'll be keeping the lenses .
Fredo San Diego CA

It's been a long time since I've posted here so sorry for the late replay. The answer is yes they are riveted at the factory and yes it can be repaired. I am in the process of replacing mine. It only took 5 yards looking for a donor set that I had repaired and rechromed.
The good news is I have an unbroken left (drivers side) available and I won't be looking to rape anyone on the price as long as I know it's going on a car and not on the shelf or on the market after it leaves me.
PS: I'll be keeping the lenses .
Fredo San Diego CA
Im interested, do you have a pic?

Bryon, I'm sorry to say that they didn't last. A local gent here in San Diego already spoke for it.

Hey Byron,
There was a four door 66 at a yard less than a mile from my house a couple weeks ago. I'll run over there tomorrow at lunch to see if it's still there. If it they're in good shape, I'll PM you. Keep your phone close!
That would be awesome! Thank you!

Hey Byron,
There was a four door 66 at a yard less than a mile from my house a couple weeks ago. I'll run over there tomorrow at lunch to see if it's still there. If it they're in good shape, I'll PM you. Keep your phone close!

While yer at it, please check out the front turn signal lenses too. If they are not broken, I could use them.

Rip

Back