1966 300 with MSD Distributor

Justin Heydon

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am finishing up an engine bay restoration and am needing some advice. We installed a MSD ready to run distributor with vacuum advance. We are having some lower rpm power issues and low yet steady vacuum. We are around 14 deg btdc and we are looking to advance just a touch more but unfortunately the vacuum advance canister is hitting the top radiator hose.

So my question is do I need the vacuum advance? If so, is there anyway to rotate the gear that the distributor shaft goes into so I can move the distributor more?

Hello All,

I am finishing up an engine bay restoration and am needing some advice. We installed a MSD ready to run distributor with vacuum advance. We are having some lower rpm power issues and low yet steady vacuum. We are around 14 deg btdc and we are looking to advance just a touch more but unfortunately the vacuum advance canister is hitting the top radiator hose.

So my question is do I need the vacuum advance? If so, is there anyway to rotate the gear that the distributor shaft goes into so I can move the distributor more?
There's something wrong. It shouldn't be hitting.
Can't do anything until you post a pic.

Ignore what the Horseshacks posts until you post a pic.
They're just throwing Jello on the wall.

I've run into this before. All you need to do is move each spark plug wire over one position on the distributor cap. Then rotate the distributor "one plug wire's worth". It's probably a good idea to set the engine at TDC on #1 firing before you do this to have a good point of reference, then re-set your timing.

This kind of thing happens when you start throwing aftermarket parts on a car without having the big picture! Good Luck

Something's out of whack! The stock distributor and vacuum can should NOT be anywhere near the upper radiator hose! OR the factory a/c compressor, for that matter.

I regularly ran my '66 Newport 383 at 15 degrees BTDC, but it was the stock distributor and not an aftermarket one. No clearance issues at all!

When I was looking at aftermarket distributors the other night, online, few of them were the same diameter or height as the stock OEM Chrysler distributors, especially some of the MSD ones. WHY MSD? Why the perceived need to set the base timing at 15 degrees BTDC? Just curious.

PICTURES, please!

And YES, you need to have the vacuum advance in place and working, for best performance and fuel efficiency.

CBODY67

I've run into this before. All you need to do is move each spark plug wire over one position on the distributor cap. Then rotate the distributor "one plug wire's worth". It's probably a good idea to set the engine at TDC on #1 firing before you do this to have a good point of reference, then re-set your timing.
I found the same thing once after doing a MP electronic ignition conversion. As installed, the vacuum advance was facing an inconvenient direction. Walked the spark plug wires one tower around the cap in one direction, then rotated the distributor 45 degrees (one cylinder) in the opposite direction, as @PurpleBeeper describes. Repeat as necessary until the distributor is oriented how you want it, then connect a timing light and fine-tune the timing again.

9154C760-3D16-4B3A-BCB3-A684001BC79D.png
This sounds like something that would happen to me. So I’m a watchin. Carry on....
Aftermarket valve covers & non stock dizzy don’t always work together on big blocks. I’ve seen several threads on that. This is a new one to me.
Radiator hose hits distributor ? Seriously ?
I gotta see this
Yes some pics would be nice.

Happened to me with a stock setup - it's easy to clock in and successfully time a diz off from where it should be.

It was an easy fix - I just walked all the spark plugs ahead one hole and reclocked the diz back as described above. Took all of 10 minutes.

Back