1966 C-body gas tank J-bolts

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:
Started to install the new gas tank in my '66 300 and found one j-bolt missing entirely and the other very, very frozen. I started looking around for a set, of which there are plenty. However, most say "68-76 , will fit '67 C-body non-wagon ONLY".

What's the deal? The bolt I cut off looks just like all the ones in the pictures...90-degree bend and about 3 inches long. While I'm asking, is there ANYTHING else needed to get the tank in besides the 2 straps I have and the two bolts?

The fuel system on this car was 95% junk after sitting for 27 years in a barn. The tank rotted out, both steel hard lines got water inside, froze and split, plus the rear was plugged up. The only thing salvageable was the filler neck and it wasn't in great shape.

Thanks so much.

ePay usually runs a decent selection of stuff that will work, more or less. Get new straps, bolts filler neck, lines. May take a couple week to get it all together.

I know I replaced the old ones on my 66, 6 years ago. I didn't order anything special I am 99% certain I ordered the bolts you were looking at. I would install new rubber at the filler tube(a major pain if you have large hands). If replacing the sending unit make sure you keep and use your original metal ring. The repops are crap and it will leak.

I got the new neck filler rubber from Steele

If I can ask, while on this subject: Is it very difficult to remove the tank on a '66 Fury wagon? Mine leaks fuel if I fill it above half. And I have big hands.....

If I can ask, while on this subject: Is it very difficult to remove the tank on a '66 Fury wagon? Mine leaks fuel if I fill it above half. And I have big hands.....

I cant state the difficulty of removal on the wagon, but you may be leaking from your sending unit or the filler neck. In case you replaced the sending unit, the new retaining ring is poorly made and mine leaked.

To clarify the difficulty for me was the very tight new filler neck rubber gasket, and the rear frame which it goes through. Your wagon is different but may have a similar problem. Much easier on a lift and an extra set of small but strong hands.:)

I've made my own J-bolts using a short concrete anchor bolt.
Cut the short leg of the anchor bolt to length, weld a flat washer on the end.
Depending on how short of a anchor bolt you find you may have to run a die down to make more threads.
I found it quicker to make them then to order them.

I cant state the difficulty of removal on the wagon, but you may be leaking from your sending unit or the filler neck. In case you replaced the sending unit, the new retaining ring is poorly made and mine leaked.

To clarify the difficulty for me was the very tight new filler neck rubber gasket, and the rear frame which it goes through. Your wagon is different but may have a similar problem. Much easier on a lift and an extra set of small but strong hands.:)
Thanks Zymurgy, its a job for the new year. I shall be patient try me best to get the tank out

I made my own because one came off and the other was frozen. I used a bolt that I had and bent it in a vise. However, that was just to get it to the mechanic's. I later ordered new ones and new straps from ebay and they work fine. My new gas tank was delivered today. The old one leaked above 1/4 tank of fuel. I have already replaced the fuel line, carb, sending unit and fuel pump.

I am assuming that OP is Tyler of YouTube fame. If so, Tyler, I have enjoyed your videos and, especially, watching the 300 come together.

When I installed a new tank it didn't fit exactly like the old leaky one. The original j bolts were a little too short. So I used bolts with a hook in them. The frame mount has a lip to prevent the bolt from slipping out and causing a disaster. They work fine. Have had no issues. Available at any hardware store.

Back