1966 canadian polara 880

rd92west

plan C
Reaction score
a while back I posted a request in the interiors, asking for suggustions were I might get upolstry for 66 polara that i bought in mid may. I am in Canada and was asked if I could provide a few pictures that would show the difference between Canada and usa built cars. my car turned out to be made in the usa and was a polara 500.
here is a few pictures of the polara 880 I picked up today. this one was built up here. it has side body trim like a usa Monaco. polara 880 badge behind front wheel and on inner door panel. a instrument cluster like a Plymouth. i included a picture of the seats, maybe somebody can tell me if there is any differences in the upolstry.
I drove 7 hours each way and paid 1000 Canadian, aprox $800 us.
it is 100% complete. has saggy torsion bars. poly 318, 727. my plan is to swap in a 440/727 that I have. this car was running last in 1980 and i decided I would see if the 318 would be interested in going a few more miles before i do anything drastic.
any input would be most welcome

003.JPG

004.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

007.JPG

009.JPG

Before giving up on the front torsion bars, check the position of the adjusting bolts inside the lower control arms, looks like someone has lowered the front end by backing off the adjusters. The FSM gives detailed instructions on how to adjust them.

After sitting for nearly 40 years, you have your work cut out for you to get this car running. Start by checking the fuel tank to see if there is a bunch of congealed fuel in the bottom, if so remove the tank and have it cleaned BEFORE you try to start the engine. Replace all rubber hoses between the tank and the fuel pump with new ones, and any between the fuel pump and carb. The alternative is you can disconnect the fuel pump from the line to the tank and hook a rubber hose the input side of the pump and a small fuel can when you are ready to start the engine.
Next, put a few ounces of diesel fuel in each cylinder to be sure that the rings have some lubricant before attempting to turn the engine over. Remove the valve covers and spray some light penetrating oil around each of the valve stems. Let it sit over night and put a breaker bar on the big nut on the front of the crankshaft, can you turn the engine by hand? If it is stuck tight, fill each cylinder with as much diesel fuel as you can get in and let sit for 2-3 days. If you can now turn the engine by hand, have a helper turn the engine while you note if all of the valves are opening and closing. If it still will not turn over, refill all cylinders as before and let it sit for another two days and again attempt to turn it over. If it still will not move, you probably have big issues with the engine, at this point, put a battery in the car and see if the starter will break the engine loose. If it still won't budge, it is going to need a rebuild. If the engine is free, Run it thru sever rotations with the starter to expel and remaining diesel fuel from the cylinders. Replace the points, rotor, condenser, cap, all plug wires and spark plugs, also reinstall the valve covers. Move the throttle linkage to be sure the carb is not stuck, If the carb is stuck, soak it in some diesel until you can move the linkage and install a carb kit. Be sure to change the engine oil and filter before trying to start. Reinstall the carb and see if the beast will start and report back. If it looks like it will start, be sure the engine has coolant before you let it run very long.

You can assume that the brake system is completely trashed, as are the coolant hoses so do not attempt to drive this car until these and other issues have been dealt with, so be sure to report back once it hopefully starts.

Dave

Last edited:
a while back I posted a request in the interiors, asking for suggustions were I might get upolstry for 66 polara that i bought in mid may. I am in Canada and was asked if I could provide a few pictures that would show the difference between Canada and usa built cars. my car turned out to be made in the usa and was a polara 500.
here is a few pictures of the polara 880 I picked up today. this one was built up here. it has side body trim like a usa Monaco. polara 880 badge behind front wheel and on inner door panel. a instrument cluster like a Plymouth. i included a picture of the seats, maybe somebody can tell me if there is any differences in the upolstry.
I drove 7 hours each way and paid 1000 Canadian, aprox $800 us.
it is 100% complete. has saggy torsion bars. poly 318, 727. my plan is to swap in a 440/727 that I have. this car was running last in 1980 and i decided I would see if the 318 would be interested in going a few more miles before i do anything drastic.
any input would be most welcome

View attachment 193423

View attachment 193424

View attachment 193425

View attachment 193427

View attachment 193432

View attachment 193434

www.smsautofabrics.com has the fabric, they are sometimes slow but generally will have the stuff you need.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave, thanks. the fuel tank has quite a bit of old fuel in it. it has a slow leak and it stinks real bad. if and when I get to trying to start it I will use a fuel jug and short hose. I was up till11 last nite, left here at 4 this morning. I took a mopar fanatic with me to keep me awake with mopar talk. when I got home I tried to turn the belts and see if it was stuck. I never put much pressure on it because I am ready to fall down due to lack of sleep.
I will squirt some lube into spark plug holes. also check for stuck valves.
.i have a neighbor who has a 30 lb R-12 jug that he added a line that will screw into the oil pressure sending unit hole in the block. he also welded in a bung that lets him pour oil into the jug. he pressurizes it and it forces oil thru the block. I will borrow this gadget. figure I will try light pressure on the ring gear, see how bad its stuck.
the guy I got it from said it ran good in 1980. he just parked it and it sat. he had it advertised for 1500, when I phoned him for more details he told me the cars story. he asked me were I lived. when I told him he said if I was willing to drive that far the price was 1000.
after we got it loaded he whipped out coffee, ham sandwiches, home made cookies and fresh oranges. good old retired Saskatchewan farmer hospitality. just blew me away. I told him that when I got it on the road I would stop in and take him for a ride.
I will check out the seat upolstry tomorrow. time to go to bed.
Kevin

unloaded the 800 this afternoon. found a twisted off torsion bar. I decided I will get a complete suspension/steering kit from firm feel.
drained a pint of water and 3 quarts of oil out of the oil pan. then filled it full of diesel fuel.

It's the long lost HT twin to my Convertible...
318 Poly 727 Cdn built Polara 880
P1820953_4_5_6_7_GT4.jpg

droptop, that broke torsion bar is one the drivers side. the car looks cool that low but totally undriveable. stock height will work for me. I sure wish the rear leaf springs were inboard 8 inches. would allow for some serious tire without any tubs. I going to settle with what room I have. the tires on it are 215 x15. off of a 67 dodge pickup. I have the dog dish hub caps and will use them for now.
this bronze car is a 42 thousand mile sweetheart. I guess when the torsion bar broke they quit driving it. they said it was a repair they would get to but months and years fly past. it was in the shed from 1980 to aprox 1990 then got pulled out. the car is basically dent free with some rust behind the rear wheels.
I started yanking the poly. decided I can play with as a winter project if I need something to do. the 440 I have is in nice shape and will get me on the road sooner. I doubt it will happen but the thought of a 426 under the hood makes me start to vibrate. it would need a 4 speed. or 5 or 6 speed. and maybe a 4.11 axle. caught me dreaming
mr fix it, I just love the 880 side trim. someday in a perfect world I will buy a convertible. I saw a ragtop on kijiji west of Toronto. if I was closer I would have had a look. maybe you saw the advert. it needed finishing and a top but if it was as good as it looked the 5 grand would be a fair price.

I still have the auto trader magazine here somewere, from 1974. for sale was a 66 Monaco 500. 440 4 speed. I think it was around 60 thousand miles. in original unmolested condition. said it needed trans work. asking $1500 I was driving a 66 polara 880 4 door slant 6. I didn't have 500 dollars let along 1500. but I kept the magazine lol

The interior on the 1966 Polara 880 is the same as used on the 1966 Fury III, except for the interior nameplates.
Interior choices for Canadian 1966 Polara/Monaco and 1966 Fury -
Polara - Fury I
Polara 440 - Fury II
Polara 880 - Fury III
Monaco - Sport Fury
No Dodge equivalent of the VIP until 1969.

1966 was the last year for the Fury instrument panel in a Canadian Dodge Polara/Monaco. Interiors were Plymouth through 1970, and then from 1971 Plymouth on the base Polara Special and Polara.

Exterior trim on the Polara 880 was basically the same as the US Monaco, except for nameplates and the rear taillights / trunk trim. The Canadian Polara 880 used the taillights and trunk trim used on the US Polara 500.

here is another tidbit of likely useless information regarding USA/Canada built 66 dodge polara's.
to refresh
I picked up a 66 USA polara 500 in spring. ordered a firm feel stage 3 kit. measured the torsion bars at 47 inch.
mid summer I found a much better 66 polara 880, Canada built car. in my spare time I have started installing the firmfeel stuff on the 880. I have leaf springs on. I used the top hole on their front spring mount bracket. the new springs raised the *** end between 3/4 and 1 inch. I assume the old leafs were sagged bit.
ihave the new upper control arms installed and also refurbished the lower control arm so tonite I thought I would install a torsion bar. I assumed the 47 inchers that I had would glide in. I find this car takes a 44 inch bar. my service manual says 47 inch torsion bar.
So now we find another difference in a USA/ Canada built 66 dodge polara. when I get a chance I will measure wheelbase and body length. there has to be 3 inch's missing in the body somewere.
I looked on firmfeel site and find they list a 44 inch bar for a 66 Plymouth fury. my car has a fury speedometer so I guess fury torsion bars was the flavor of the day as well.
kevin

The Cdn Polara has a Fury Stub frame under it....
That's the difference you are looking for...

When I did my Stub I bought a USA stub from a Polara and had to change to longer torsion bars.

The only difference is the position of the rear torsion bar hex tube

Since you have both Cdn & US versions you will find it easy to compare by having a look

I have another question. is there any difference in ride with 44 vs 47 inch torsion bars. farmer logic tells me 3 inch more might have more twist to it. maybe 2 questions. do you know what length bars would be on a 71 Plymouth sport fury. my brother has one and is considering doing some firm feel to it.

Back