For Sale 1966 Chrysler 300 2 dr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

Reaction score
Contact seller
A family move to another state has forced my hand on the '66 300 project aka the Road Shark. Info on the successes and adventures here:

The Road Shark - 1966 Chrysler 300 Project

The car is a light metallic blue with dark blue interior, 383 4 bbl w/Edlebrock replacement carb. Bucket seats, console shift, vacuum gauge (works well), factory disc brake car w/15" wheels and matching hub caps. Also has rear window defroster and A/C, though the compressor and lines are removed from the car right now. Has front & rear speakers w/factory fader control, and 4 way flashers, possibly added later. Still has original CertiCard in place. Also includes service manual, original sales brochure, and original broadcast sheet.

The car needs a little bit of everything. Here's a breakdown from memory:

Body: This car is originally from Washington state, so it's pretty clean overall. Rear quarters have typical rust started from plugged drains, also the usual pin holes in the trunk (I've stood in the trunk, it's solid), some light rust in the driver's side front fender dog leg, and the worst part: hole in the passenger floor heel pan area from heater core leak. Have replacement floor pan on order though you should only need to use a small part of it for repair. The car is very solid including sub frame. Actually looks very low mileage underneath.

Also needs windshield.

Mechanical: Needs either carb or ignition work. Starts and runs fine one day, starts hard and won't idle the next. Here's a link to a video of it running before a test drive:

Changed fuel filter, doesn't seem to be the problem. Reworked linkage recently but ran out of time before getting to the distributor and vacuum lines. Radiator has a leak. Heater core has a leak, have found a replacement heat/AC core but haven't had time to go get it. Will include info if I haven't gotten it before sale.

Has new (probably re-manufactured) calipers from previous owner, brakes still need to be bled.

Electrical: It appears to have sat for a long period of time unused and as a result, has a number of electrical issues that a good clean up should remedy. I've actually gotten through a number of these things like lights. All external lights work well, front directional bulbs need to be replaced(have new amber bulbs, can't fit my fingers in). All interior/courtesy lights work including trunk, back seat/sails, console, map, glove box. Most instrument lights work except shift lever and vacuum gauge, and sometimes the gauge cluster illumination comes and goes. Ammeter works, alternator charges. Parking brake light works. Hi-lo beam, Temp, and Fuel Gauge do not work. 1-2 pins are stuck in the cluster plug which is likely some of the problem. Had planned to pull the gauge cluster right after the running/idling issues were fixed. Radio comes on and crackles, but receives no stations. I have a feeling it's related to the aerial, might be unplugged.

Interior: Needs new carpet, headliner, seat covers, and the usual detailing from sitting. The chrome roof trim is pretty scruffy.

My plan was to drive and enjoy the car while I worked on it which, aside from a few test rides, never happened. Someone with a place to work on it and the tools/parts needed could have it on the road in a weekend.

I'm into this car for nearly $5K but I'm also realistic. Open to reasonable offers. New/clean NC title in my name, no issues.

Please see the photos and ask any questions you have. I will do my best to answer, provide additional photos, whatever. Nothing to hide - not going anywhere. Even if this car sells, when time allows I will have another '66 300. The timing is just bad right now.
1.JPG
4A.JPG
8.JPG
7.JPG
10.JPG
SubFrame4.JPG
Windshield1.JPG
ConsoleMaplights.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that you have to sell. GLWS.

Thanks guys, but nothing to be sorry for. I'm doing this under 'good' conditions in that it's not a financial hardship or such, just trying to do what's best for everyone involved. I'm not leaving the board and if the car does sell, I'll be back here as soon as time & finances allow, with a replacement.

I will say - fixing that &@#$%*! hood hinge was an adventure well worth having, and left me feeling like I'd actually accomplished something. Monkeys can dig rusted bulb bases out of sockets. Not sure how they'd do with those torsion bars....

Thanks stubs. Yes, as we discussed early on, a new sender & tank cleaning used to be near the top of the list before the carb and electrical gremlins came to visit. All part of making it as bullet-proof as possible for road use. The filter was merely a reminder.

I know I didn't put a price on this originally because I'm clueless as to what to expect. Despite what I have in it based on keeping it, somewhere in the $3500-$4K range? No idea, feel free to make an offer. No offense taken- worst I can say is no. Or is it Yes?

So just a quick update - thanks to Gary/Wollfen, we now have a viable backup plan in place. Will keep the car on the market for a few more weeks anyhow, for the sake of simplicity. Easier to sell it and replace it later. If not, at least there's now a good plan B.

After looking at what's available, average selling prices vs. condition, options, and so on, $3500 seems like a fair price. Feel free to ask any questions about the car, I'll do my best to answer. Better still, come by, look it over, make an offer. I won't be insulted, worst I can say is no, thanks.

Not that anyone was beating my door down, BUT..... the Shark is No Longer For Sale. Details in the Slabside forum if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back