1966 Chrysler 300 Side Trim Well Nuts

traintech55

Reaction score
Oh fellow 1966 300 lovers, I need help in a big way. I need to replace the well nuts and screws that hold the trim to the fender and front door. Does anyone know the size, I believe it to be a #4x32 screw size. Either the correct size, or the part number will be a big help so I can reinstall my trim. The old ones did not hold up well after 53 years. Thanks in advance.

Heres what's left on my trim Bill, hope it helps, no clips.
20190609_131426.jpg
20190609_131411.jpg
20190609_131332.jpg
20190609_131326.jpg

I can't help you on that one. Interesting is that trim from the somewhere on the hardtop. I don't have anything like that on my convertible and I removed all the trim when I painted it.

I can't help you on that one. Interesting is that trim from the somewhere on the hardtop. I don't have anything like that on my convertible and I removed all the trim when I painted it.
They are the retainers for the side spears that go on the front fender and door on each side.

Sorry I now know what you are taking about. For some reason it just didn't hit me.

First you can't find the screws I looked, nothing available has a small enough head. I got a few extras, which I needed from Murray Park. The retainers are available new, they worked perfectly I will see if I can find my source for them this evening

Sorry I now know what you are taking about. For some reason it just didn't hit me.

First you can't find the screws I looked, nothing available has a small enough head. I got a few extras, which I needed from Murray Park. The retainers are available new, they worked perfectly I will see if I can find my source for them this evening
Thanks.

I forget who I got mine from, it was sooooooo long ago? You may have to thumb through the "Mr. G's" catalog to find something, that's the best lead I can give you. Good Luck

I can't find the source for the well nuts, which actually should be a good thing because I probably got them from my local hardware or from Amazon. I would take a bolt into a hardware store to find the correct size. I really think it was a Hillman well nut.

I can't find the source for the well nuts, which actually should be a good thing because I probably got them from my local hardware or from Amazon. I would take a bolt into a hardware store to find the correct size. I really think it was a Hillman well nut.
Thanks, I am going to do that tomorrow, unfortunately the Ace hardware stores around here are closed on Sundays.

Hopefully it is 6-32 I see plenty of them offered, I have not seen a #4

Hopefully it is 6-32 I see plenty of them offered, I have not seen a #4
Well guys a great way to start off the day. went down to the local Ace hardware and they had them in stock. Size is 8/32". Cost was a whole $0.95 so the thirteen cost me $13.56. Ready to go for another 53 years.

Great news, I remembered hunting for the screws but not the well nuts, so I figured it wasn't a big deal to find.

For once there is a replacement item you can buy off the shelf, unfortunately I know you will need to track down some original screws to replace those which you can't use. I cleaned mine up with a wire wheel on my grinder, but I still need a few that were rusted solid to the old well nuts.

Great news, I remembered hunting for the screws but not the well nuts, so I figured it wasn't a big deal to find.

For once there is a replacement item you can buy off the shelf, unfortunately I know you will need to track down some original screws to replace those which you can't use. I cleaned mine up with a wire wheel on my grinder, but I still need a few that were rusted solid to the old well nuts.

OK Guys, you have all heard me complain about pictures, time I posted some to help others out.
Pictures 1+2 are of the well nut you will need, size is 8/32".
Pictures 3+4 are of the old nuts, impossible to get them out and reuse them.
Pictures 5+6 are of the fender and door with the mouldings removed, (now you know why a 300 fender is different from a Newport, New Yorker).
Pictures 7+8 are of the mouldings reinstalled.

IMG_20190610_130304716.jpg

IMG_20190610_130313971.jpg

IMG_20190610_132452533.jpg

IMG_20190610_132459903.jpg

IMG_20190610_130449684.jpg

IMG_20190610_130453577.jpg

IMG_20190610_132513042.jpg

IMG_20190610_132518438.jpg

View attachment 293154

View attachment 293155

Back