1966 Chrysler left vent window is whistling

TylerW

Reaction score
Hi there:

I'm having an issue with the driver side vent window on my car. It produces a lot of wind noise because the window itself will not close completely, as if it is out of adjustment. The open/close crank does work, but there is a huge amount of slack at each end of the travel, as in when you crank back the other way you have almost a full revolution before the vent window begins to move so I am delicate with it. I attempted to push the window fully closed by hand with moderate pressure and it refuses to go. Any advice? Thank you.

Those vent windows come out easily. Just search for the window gasket either on eBay or Van's and replace it if this is a big issue to you. You can even use generic weatherstripping if you look around a bit. Also, the crank mechanism inside gets rather stripped after 55 years. You CAN get to it, by removing the door panel. This all requires a solid afternoon you'll need to set aside for this tedium. Not rocket science.

It sounds like the closing mechanism has some wear in it. Otherwise, there should be no "slack" in its operation. As if the windnoise issue was there for a long time.

I also suspect that if you look closely, you'll see a bit of a gap where the glass pivots through the rubber weatherstriping, as on our '66 Newport from new (being a factory a/c car, the vents saw little use).

The OTHER thing is that, from my experiences with our '66 Newport, there is a bit of windnoise in the A-pillar area by design. I did make some improvements with by building a dam, of sorts, with strip caulk to decrease the gap betrween the door frame and the drip rail. In later years, I discovered some OEM-style weatherstrips that could be glued to the door frame for possibly better results.

In order to troubleshoot the windnoise situation, get some quality clear tape and tape the vent window closed, which will also seal it against the frame. Also check the main weatherstrip-to-body seal, too, by looking at the wear pattern on the body where the weatherstrip contacts it. Many people perceive windnoise to be a sealing issue of the door weatherstrip to the body, which it can be, but is not always that way. That's from my experiences of trying to decrease the windnoise on our '66 Newport 6-window sedan.

In the meantime, you might be on the lookout for a new vent window mechanism that has no slack in its operation.

Just my experiences,
CBODY67

There's a slotted shaft which accepts a thick flat tab from the shaft of the vent window frame itself. This slotted shaft WEARS, widening over the years, and loosening. You CAN insert a SHIM into this slot, though you must drill it. Insert this drilled shim, then replace the machine screw or small bolt Mopar provided, and THAT should take the looseness out of the window.

As far as sealing the window in the frame, you've been provided with a plethora of advice now.

I need to work over the drivers side vent window myself, so if you're still having trouble i the near future, I may take pics of my work. My vent window has gotten sloppy again, so I will probably seek a better shim than what I cobbled in last time.

New mechanisms are RARE, and I haven't the $ for such when they pop up. I saw one this past year though, so occasionally, somebody has one that might be decent....

Best of luck to you. These things can be annoying.

When I mentioned "new", I meant "slack-free, good used, from a donor vehicle".

Just to clarify,
CBODY667

When I mentioned "new", I meant "slack-free, good used, from a donor vehicle".

Just to clarify,
CBODY667

I actually saw an advert for an NOS vent window mechanism on ePay. By and large, what you meant is what I understood there IS. I think what I saw mentioned passenger side. IDK if there is any real difference for these, though there could be.....

If all else fails just get a louder exhaust system.

Hi there:

I'm having an issue with the driver side vent window on my car. It produces a lot of wind noise because the window itself will not close completely, as if it is out of adjustment. The open/close crank does work, but there is a huge amount of slack at each end of the travel, as in when you crank back the other way you have almost a full revolution before the vent window begins to move so I am delicate with it. I attempted to push the window fully closed by hand with moderate pressure and it refuses to go. Any advice? Thank you.

Here ya go:

https://autopartsobsolete.com/1965-...s-lh-front-vent-window-regulator-2486803.html

Welcome to the ‘60s. Vent window whistle was very common even in new cars. It was very common to see a tissue or rag wedged where one thought the noise came from. Usually just made it worse.

Or do like I do and keep a window cracked/open so it doesn't whistle! Another option is to not drive it when the windows have to be rolled up! Good Luck
And it kept the convertible top from ballooning.

Much obliged for a link to a vendor I'd not yet found! DAMN those SOBs be PROUD of that regulator part! That's IT, no mistake, but for that kind of $$ I'll go rooting the junk yards, or shade-tree-machining my old stuff for a LONGGGGG time!

I LOVE the 60s! That decade saw the zenith of this Realtors em[pire, for sure, and also the utter lack of proper preparation for it in the populace. Well, that matter now is running to its natural conclusion....... but the CARS will be remembered and loved, along with the Rock and Roll.

Welcome to the ‘60s. Vent window whistle was very common even in new cars. It was very common to see a tissue or rag wedged where one thought the noise came from. Usually just made it worse.
Naaaa use a matchbook (very rare item today) under the lever latch of the manual kind.

:thumbsup:
:p

Hi there:

Sometimes the cap will pop off the regulator. It will the still crank, but will have a lot of play. You may also see it sucking in the door panel when you crank it closed.

Pull the door panel off and watch it work. If the cap is off, it via likely way down in the door. I was able to fix mine.

Much obliged for a link to a vendor I'd not yet found! DAMN those SOBs be PROUD of that regulator part! That's IT, no mistake, but for that kind of $$ I'll go rooting the junk yards, or shade-tree-machining my old stuff for a LONGGGGG time!

I LOVE the 60s! That decade saw the zenith of this Realtors em[pire, for sure, and also the utter lack of proper preparation for it in the populace. Well, that matter now is running to its natural conclusion....... but the CARS will be remembered and loved, along with the Rock and Roll.

I've fixed the crank kind but my weren't 50 years old. I forget what it was, binding from lack of lube, cracked case, ?? At the time I could of just gone to the boneyard but most being 20/30 miles away I just carefully hammered back the crimps that held the bottomplate/cover on, cleaned and lubed it and carefully (as the case is made out of white metal) hammer crimped the bottom plate back on. One of them Saturday afternoon jobs... probably did it in the time it would've taken to drive to boneyard & back.

Pictures of the condition of yours out of the door and on the workbench would be of big help as to if they can be repaired.

Back