1966 Dodge Monaco 2dr...

91talon

Reaction score
Ok, well I figured I might as well post up here about the car. Since it will basically be a project.

Here is the link for the pics of the car as it currently sits. I hope to get to the car this weekend, when it's not so freaking cold. Will probably put a new battery into it, and either air up the tires, or put on some decent used ones. It will be slow going, I'm sure, but in the end I hope it will be worth it. I haven't seen any on the roads around here, and don't seem to see many on-line. I must be missing something.

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/91talon417/1966 Monaco/

Sweet................ Is that a very dirty white interior or a strange two tone combo?

Love a white interior!!

Great to see another one being saved. :eusa_clap: Make sure you keep us up to speed on the progress. Will you be keeping it stock or modifying?

Well equipped car...A/C,tilt/tele wheel buckets/console,power brakes/steering.
US car. But the red big block throws me a curveball.Canadian engine?? or just a rebuild painted wrong color??
With the blue fender and hood one can only assume it was involved in an accident.
I would suggest to check the front frame and alignment for any further damage--if any at all.

Thanks all. Yeah, it was in an accident many years ago. I was driven for several years after that, before being put into storage.

As far as the interior, the bucket seats are white, but just a bit dirty with age. The carpet is black.

the engine was rebuilt not too long before the old guy I bought it from put it into storage. So it's entirely possible that it was painted the wrong color. Is there a way to check the engine size on it? Also, he sait it was a 4 barrel, but my father-in-law said it's a 3 barrel. I'm not too savvy on carbs just yet, so we will just have to see I guess.

I'm still in the process of trying to get it over to my garage, and out of the storage facility it's in.

Thanks again.

For now, I plan on keeping it stock. Then go from there, possibly.

As for the carb, there are 2 distinct butterflies in the back, and 1 big one in the front.

Well, hopefully the car will be in my garage on Saturday. Then I can really start to look into it, and work on it.

LOL. Ok, ok...

I have uploaded some more photos of the car into the album on the first page. More interior shots, and shots of the card after we just hosed it off. Good night, what a difference!

We tried to get it started on Saturday, but that was a no go for a while. Finally put some gas in the carb and it fired right up. The problem was that the fuel pump wasn't pumping anything. I changed the fuel pump, just in case, and still nothing. *That was only a $24 part, and I figured, what the heck*

Last night I pulled one of the connecting lines under the passenger side, and watched the nasty gas come out for a little bit. Then I blew the front part of the line clean. Tried to fire it up again, but still nothing. I'm thinking I will have to drop the tank and flush it out. Yay.

The car will need new tires, for sure. I also need to figure out the hood rod thingies - I have no idea what they are called.

Overall, I'm pretty happy actually. I know that it will start and run once it has fuel.

Dropped the tank this weekend. 1 word to summarize: DISGUSTING.

The stuff in the tank was hideous. It looked like I was making a tank of single batch whiskey in the fuel tank. Also, I figured out why there was no fuel making it to carb. The filter at the end of the pick-up unit in the tank was totally plugged up. We figured I was going to buy a new unit anyway, so I cut the line. I've never seen anything like that. Ever. Then again, I've never cut into a 45 year old fuel pick-up unit. LOL

I have a new unit on order, and now I just need to see how much it will cost to clean that fuel tank out.

So I got the new fule sender. New pieces sure are pretty. :)

Now I just have to, or should I say will be taking the gas tank to a local radiator shop. they said they could take out any rust and put a new liner in the tank for around $100. Not too bad of a price, so I figured I would let a professional do it.

Had that done to Nessie's tank about 5 years ago. No problems since. You won't regret it and your price is a lot less than I paid.

Yeah, the price is actually closer to $135, but still... for the piece of mind it will bring, that's a small price to pay.

Back