1966 Dodge Monaco Restoration completed

TWAMONACO

Reaction score
After owning this car for 17 years I've finally had the resources to do a completed restoration on the Monaco (my first car).

Rotisserie sub-frame off resto with some minor body mods to delete the exterior body trim and emblems with a 508 ci Muscle Motors stroker, upgraded 727 transmission and 8 3/4 differential to handle the power, '73 disc brake conversion with Wilwood M/C and prop + residual valves and upgrade to 3/8" fuel system.

Custom electical system with one wire alternator, and to accommodate for Dakota Digital 4-in-1 multi gauge and dual Derale fans and fan controller.

Legendary seats and headliner, SMS Door panels, ABC Moparts dash pad, Hushmat sound deadener, Evans body and light harnesses and Instrument Specialties dash trim with the factory Clock + Radio delete panel that took me 16 years to find!

I'm glad I waited to do the car right as the longer I waited the more aftermarket items became available (weatherstiping, window fuzzies, heater box gaskets kits, taillight gaskets)

I learned a lot in the process and had a lot of good advice from people on this forum.

I can't even begin the estimate the hours in labour for the rebuilding of the individual components and sub-assemblies like the grille, console, etc and I know I'll never get anywhere near what I have into the car if I ever have to sell it, but I'm ok with that.

The air cleaner setup looks off, but I had to go with the Spectre unit to get the hood clearance because of the RPM Manifold and QFT Carb, and I need to find a set of NOS or cherry tail lights lenses, and undecided if I should maybe try of set of skinny 3/8" whitewalls, but it's ready for Spring to cruise!

20171211_201325_resized (2).jpg

20171211_193601_resized (2).jpg

20171223_214554_resized (3).jpg

20171223_214518_resized (3).jpg

20180123_200723_resized.jpg

20170622_092548.jpg

IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6328.JPG

Looks fabulous!! I am very pleased to see that the Legendary seat covers fit the rear seat, as I've just ordered a set and there were some concerns that Canadian Monaco and USA Sport Fury rear seat dimensions were slightly different.

How much were the SMS door panels?

After owning this car for 17 years I've finally had the resources to do a completed restoration on the Monaco (my first car).

Rotisserie sub-frame off resto with some minor body mods to delete the exterior body trim and emblems with a 508 ci Muscle Motors stroker, upgraded 727 transmission and 8 3/4 differential to handle the power, '73 disc brake conversion with Wilwood M/C and prop + residual valves and upgrade to 3/8" fuel system.

Custom electical system with one wire alternator, and to accommodate for Dakota Digital 4-in-1 multi gauge and dual Derale fans and fan controller.

Legendary seats and headliner, SMS Door panels, ABC Moparts dash pad, Hushmat sound deadener, Evans body and light harnesses and Instrument Specialties dash trim with the factory Clock + Radio delete panel that took me 16 years to find!

I'm glad I waited to do the car right as the longer I waited the more aftermarket items became available (weatherstiping, window fuzzies, heater box gaskets kits, taillight gaskets)

I learned a lot in the process and had a lot of good advice from people on this forum.

I can't even begin the estimate the hours in labour for the rebuilding of the individual components and sub-assemblies like the grille, console, etc and I know I'll never get anywhere near what I have into the car if I ever have to sell it, but I'm ok with that.

The air cleaner setup looks off, but I had to go with the Spectre unit to get the hood clearance because of the RPM Manifold and QFT Carb, and I need to find a set of NOS or cherry tail lights lenses, and undecided if I should maybe try of set of skinny 3/8" whitewalls, but it's ready for Spring to cruise!

View attachment 169662

View attachment 169663

View attachment 169664

View attachment 169665

View attachment 169666

View attachment 169667

View attachment 169668

View attachment 169669

WOW! Way-ta-go! I love these Dodges and yours in particular. Seventeen years is a long time to wait for a dream to come true. Looks like it was worth the wait. And I like yer air cleaner.

As regards the w/w tires: Keep the tires you have and throw a set of American Torque Thrust Ds on it.

Great job. Took you 17 years, well I have been working on my 300 for 13 so I guess another 4 is in line. Hope mine looks that good when done.

Thanks for the positive comments-
Ross - The rear seat bottom had fitment issues where the material for the driveshaft tunnel sits - the cover that Legendary sent was too short (height wise) - luckily we had NOS seat material and the upholsterer was able to stitch a longer piece in place of the short one and you can't tell the difference - that must be where the problem area is?
For the Door panels; They cost $750 usd (plus shipping my old panels to them for the cores) for all four panels. They came out flawless in appearance, color (I sent a sample of the seat material to match, but I assume that SMS make the Legendary covers anyways from what I hear) and the vinyl imprint stitching looks 100% original. Two negatives though - a 14 month! wait time and when they riveted the 1" wide cast trim piece with the red/blue/woodgrain it was a touch too high on the one side and I had to mill down the vend crank handle to give enough clearance, but that was minor.

I love the stance, and the painted steels w/ the chrome lug nuts . . . I'd run it just as she sits! Great colors too! Enjoy it!

Great job on imo one of the coolest slab c bodies. On such a long term project my personal preference might have been to look for an American Monaco dash, but beautiful just the same. And agree the black steelies look awesome.

Thanks for the positive comments-
Ross - The rear seat bottom had fitment issues where the material for the driveshaft tunnel sits - the cover that Legendary sent was too short (height wise) - luckily we had NOS seat material and the upholsterer was able to stitch a longer piece in place of the short one and you can't tell the difference - that must be where the problem area is?
For the Door panels; They cost $750 usd (plus shipping my old panels to them for the cores) for all four panels. They came out flawless in appearance, color (I sent a sample of the seat material to match, but I assume that SMS make the Legendary covers anyways from what I hear) and the vinyl imprint stitching looks 100% original. Two negatives though - a 14 month! wait time and when they riveted the 1" wide cast trim piece with the red/blue/woodgrain it was a touch too high on the one side and I had to mill down the vend crank handle to give enough clearance, but that was minor.

I'm PMing you on this - want to not have to deal with this after they make them.

Sweet car! Love the stance and the wheel tire combo, maybe a wider rear tire but that's all. Love that it's the classy model, and it doesn't look right. And that's a compliment, I love that it's not a time, subdued car, it's got attitude! Love the Blue/Black color combo. Very nice car, and I really like the direction you went. I'll be drooling over this one. Gorgeous car.

Great job by you! The car looks fantastic. I love the color combo, the stance, the drivetrain, everything. Those black steelies give it some attitude too. You should be proud of the result.

The air cleaner setup looks off, but I had to go with the Spectre unit to get the hood clearance because of the RPM Manifold and QFT Carb,
Congrats on the resurrection of your first car... I love it :thumbsup:

Life has bigger tragedies than the air cleaner. I prefer to see them with the hoods closed anyhow.

Last edited:
Back