1966 Dodge Monaco Wagon

DoubleTakes

Reaction score
My 1966 Monaco, 440, AC, power steering/brakes. Hasnt run in an unknown amount of time, at least a decade. Gonna be a project to get running, and more of a project to afford to fuel it!

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

Some more info on the car: PO said rear window motor was dead. Tried having someone push the tailgate while hitting the switch, window went right up, turns out it was just an interlock being funky. Window works perfectly now. Most of the worn paint and rust in the cargo area came off easily with some 80 grit sandpaper. Removed the rotted out cargo area cover(if anyone knows where I can find a replacement please lmk) gonna have to make or find a new one. At some point the plugs in the cargo area were removed, and with the rear window down for who knows how long it has rotted badly. Luckily hasnt spread beyond about a 10in sq area so that is fixable. Engine turns well with a new starter. New radiator is in along with new water pump. Gonna test the oil system then try to start it.

Great looking project, nicely optioned, interior looks good, I'm subscribed. My 66 owners and shop manuals show the optional engine as a 426 wedge, when did they switch to the 440 and how many were made?

Great looking project, nicely optioned, interior looks good, I'm subscribed. My 66 owners and shop manuals show the optional engine as a 426 wedge, when did they switch to the 440 and how many were made?
The FSM was printed before production, but the 440 was available in '66, not many went in Polaras or Monacos.

I think they switched in 66, I have the same shop manual and it also says the 426 is the option. I have been trying to find out how many were made with the 440 but I havent had any luck so far.

This is a special order U1 code car...someone spec'd out the 440. Car was built at Belvidere Il plant. My dad had the 67 version of this wagon..same spec's with a 440. The President of Chrysler, George Love, lived in Pittsburgh, PA and the Monaco wagon was built for him to go to the 67 EXPO in Montreal. My dad picked up the car from the Regional Pittsburgh Area Dodge Rep. I do believe that they spec'd out the Monaco for the President of Chrysler because it was made at their newest plant in Belvidere. After all he could have had a Chrysler Town and Country built in Detroit.

This is a special order U1 code car...someone spec'd out the 440. Car was built at Belvidere Il plant. My dad had the 67 version of this wagon..same spec's with a 440. The President of Chrysler, George Love, lived in Pittsburgh, PA and the Monaco wagon was built for him to go to the 67 EXPO in Montreal. My dad picked up the car from the Regional Pittsburgh Area Dodge Rep. I do believe that they spec'd out the Monaco for the President of Chrysler because it was made at their newest plant in Belvidere. After all he could have had a Chrysler Town and Country built in Detroit.
Wow any pics what color...impossible to find today my parents had a Cream/Wood Monaco but Deep Blue/Wood is my dream!

Back