1966 Dodge Polara Coupe Restoration

AsyriusMopar

Reaction score
Hey guys I just inherited a 1966 Dodge Polara 2 dr ( I think its considered a coupe) with a 383. The story so far on it is my uncle and my dad went in on it together when they were teenagers and bought it off an old lady but then dad got his own car and my uncle joined the military and when it blew a head gasket it was parked at my grandpa's barn with a partially tore down motor and left there for about 30 years. The barn started collapsing so they pulled the old girl out and weren't quite sure what to do with it. I told my uncle I'd gladly keep it for him until he figured out what to do with it (as they were talking about parking it in a field which is how at least two of my families great old mopars unfortunately met their end and I just couldn't let it happen again) which he seemed fine with. That was in November of 2017, fast foward to April of this year and he asked me if I thought I could fix it up - I said yes and he said to have at it. :D Im psyched to finally have not only an old Mopar of my own but to actually be able to start restoring one that I had wanted to see fixed up since I was a kid.​

So my plans right now are as follows -
  • Establish how much rust has actually eaten through the car so I can get an idea on what I'll have to replace (and start saving accordingly)
  • Decode any VIN info I can find so I can establish how original the car actually is
  • Replace every component of the braking system that seems even questionable (having a car that stops well is more important than having a car that moves well IMO)
  • Pull the Motor and have it and the heads hot tanked and inspected then if those are well and good start on the rebuild (car had 105k miles on it and at 52 yrs old I imagine it needs it anyways)
  • While motor is out I know I want to inspect transmission and at least do the seals maybe end up having it rebuilt - idk much about them so this step is kind of vague
  • While Im building up the funds and taking care of the big stuff I'd like to be working on freshening up the trim and interior pieces in the mean time

Thats all I got so far, I figure I can worry about the rest of the car (a/c, pwr st, replacing vinyl top, etc, etc) once its moving and stopping under its own power.

Psyched to get this project started!
    20180408_044920.jpg
Dont worry, Im not keeping the grille their haha
  • 20180506_070741.jpg

I do have the trim pieces right now in the building. Also 3 of the 4 tires on this car are holding air. :0 These tires are at least 30 years old, I aired em up a month ago and they are still up!
  • 20180506_070806.jpg

Current storage for most of the parts for this car, trunk floor actually looks pretty good under all that
  • 20180506_070817.jpg

Oh yeah, the trunk doesn't close.
  • 20180506_070843.jpg
    20180506_070911.jpg
    20180506_070949.jpg
    20180506_070954.jpg

It still had the card in it, I pulled it out of the sleeve and put it inside in a safe place. Does anyone know anything about those?
  • 20180506_071002.jpg

20180520_063739.jpg
  • Started pulling carpet to inspect floorpans for rust. The carpet is gonna have to go too, its in pretty bad shape. Gonna keep a section for reference when I go to replace it though.

The CertiCard was the warranty card that was with 1964 - 1968 Mopars (perhaps others, too!). It gives you the original owner's name, address, city and state. The stamped areas are the VIN, trim code, paint code, whether you have a Sure-Grip rear axle or not, date built, and the transmission type.

I went "ouch!" when I saw that big hole on the inside edge of the decklid! Just from the pics, it looks fairly complete...and that is a great thing! Keep us updated on the progress, congrats!

Nice to see you are going to resurrect the car :thumbsup:

You should be able to source a trunk lid if you want to replace it rather than patching it
They don’t make any repop body panels unfortunately

Back