1966 Fury III - Unfinished Project

Fitted the new ignition parts this afternoon.
20220821_164550.jpg

New distributor cap, coil, rotor arm and amplifier module.

Not bad. Needs another oil change to flush the last of the watery yuck out.
I've got a gearshift linkage on order from a breakers in Washington.

Phil

A break in the scheduled daily rain storm meant I could cut the second bolt to approximate length.
VideoCapture_20220822-165944.jpg

It then promptly started raining again so that's put a stop to today's outside activities. Removed the wasp nest from the door pillar on the car; half the wasps flew off then came back 5 minutes later. They got a shower of Raid. Hopefully that dissuades them (probably won't, they're persistent).

Phil

I hate doors and hinges.

And wasps. Some had moved back in, so I doused them with Raid. "Kills on contact", claims the can. One landed on the floor and crawled away. The other flew off, a foamy ball of anger.

I started on the hinge. Typically I managed to hammer this pin in on an angle and it then refused to line up, no matter what, with the limited space in the hinge.
So, I pulled the hinge off and put it in correctly.
20220823_153442.jpg

Refitted the hinge and lined it up as best I could by myself- the door doesn't open and close as well as it used to sadly.
20220823_161143.jpg

But, both doors do now hold themselves open, which is nice.

Phil

I have a favor to ask.

Can someone with factory original front fenders take a photo of the profile of the front of the fender ahead of the wheel?
From the back, looking forward.
20220824_190206.jpg

The reason I ask is the profile of mine just... Don't look right. By the swage line.

I think someone's been in there with the hammers and bondo (yet to scrub the metal back), probably mostly bondo.

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:
I have a favor to ask.

Can someone with factory original front fenders take a photo of the profile of the front of the fender ahead of the wheel?
From the back, looking forward.
View attachment 554261

The reason I ask is the profile of mine just... Don't look right. By the swage line.

I think someone's been in there with the hammers and bondo (yet to scrub the metal back), probably mostly bondo.

Thanks

Phil
It looks OK to me... there are lots of pics here to compare:

1966 Plymouth Sport Fury

It looks OK to me... there are lots of pics here to compare:

1966 Plymouth Sport Fury
A little difficult to see because of the trim and the distance they took the shots at that angle from, but that has a lot of other useful references.

I bought a gearshift linkage on eBay; typically didn't check but the gearbox is missing the rod end bracket.
On a column shift car, does that attach to the machines flat with the big hole on the 'box?

So, the mail arrived, as y'all know.
20220826_113622.jpg

I'm missing the L shaped bracket that goes on the right side, connected to the gearbox.
So, I went look in the garage to see if there was one of the brackets buried in one of the boxes.
Under 12 pistons (don't ask, I have no idea), one of the power steering pumps, half an air filter housing and a bunch of rusty leaves:
20220826_173502.jpg

Well, nuts.

The worst part? I still don't have the part I need!

So, the mail arrived, as y'all know.
View attachment 554584
I'm missing the L shaped bracket that goes on the right side, connected to the gearbox.
So, I went look in the garage to see if there was one of the brackets buried in one of the boxes.
Under 12 pistons (don't ask, I have no idea), one of the power steering pumps, half an air filter housing and a bunch of rusty leaves:
View attachment 554585
Well, nuts.

The worst part? I still don't have the part I need!
The bracket with the plastic bushing?

The bracket with the plastic bushing?
Yeah, I see they're being remanufactured because they're common to column shift 727's (certainly B and C body).

I'm going to email the people I got the linkage from; see if they have the transmission still, and if so, see if I can acquire or obtain it.

Last edited:
Seller apologized, the engine and transmission from that car have gone, so no bracket.
I'd prefer a genuine Mopar item if anyone has a spare attached to a 727 anywhere that they want to sell; if not I'll look to buy one of the aftermarket ones I've seen for sale.

Back