For Sale 1966 Imperial Convertible Nice Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

Reaction score
Contact seller
Not mine - a lot nicer and a true redhead, not a resale red version. Or, as Bond would say, the cuffs match the collar.

1966 Chrysler Imperial | eBay

A very clean and well-detailed, low mileage (for the year) example.

Imperial.jpg

Lots of black paint underneath where it does not belong. Current bit over 10k with reserve not met, If this thing has a 20k reserve, I do not think it will ever get there. Aside from the dings in the threshold moldings, the top side detail looks pretty good except for odd color on the carb.

Dave

Last edited:
This car, and a few others are being sold by Mopar Ramcharger legend, Herb McCandless.

Herb or Mike? I forget who's who more and more these days....

Pretty surprised to see it only reach $12.6K - was sure it would easily rise to $15K or more.

I agree about the black bottom paint - probably hiding nothing and just done to clean it up for display, but it sets off alarm bells with a lot of folks when they see everything including exhaust pipes and muffler clamps painted black.

If he was to address the few issues like the windows not working, missing dash wood trim, shift display etc and post some good, clear photos of the underside, there's no reason that car couldn't bring $25K. Not as highly optioned as some, but with low mileage and very, very clean looking. Otherwise it's likely to make $15-$18K at best, if that.

Herb or Mike? I forget who's who more and more these days....

Pretty surprised to see it only reach $12.6K - was sure it would easily rise to $15K or more.

I agree about the black bottom paint - probably hiding nothing and just done to clean it up for display, but it sets off alarm bells with a lot of folks when they see everything including exhaust pipes and muffler clamps painted black.

If he was to address the few issues like the windows not working, missing dash wood trim, shift display etc and post some good, clear photos of the underside, there's no reason that car couldn't bring $25K. Not as highly optioned as some, but with low mileage and very, very clean looking. Otherwise it's likely to make $15-$18K at best, if that.

I would agree that the black paint on the underside was probably an attempt to "clean up" the car. This was probably well intended but the first rule of making a car presentable is do no harm. Putting all that paint on the underside makes for a time consuming and expensive removal process to "Make the car right again". This is several thousands of dollars worth deduct from the potential sales price to anyone who has intentions of fully restoring this car. Black paint and thick undercoating have no place on a properly restored car.

Dave

You'll have to scroll down to where it says See Full Item Description to view the rest of the photos.

I suspect this isn't the best choice for a museum car, so the black underside wouldn't be as much of an issue. Might even help preserve it longer. Doubt it was ever restored, just detailed as mentioned. The description also says "Power Everything" and Loaded, however it lacks the tilt/tele wheel, self-dimmer/sentinel, auto pilot, power locks, and can't tell if it has the power trunk release in the dash. Also has a few walnut issues around the dash area; 3 trim pieces missing in the corners and some ripples. Then the windows, shift display, and fuel gauge issues along with whatever else. No show stoppers like a patched up floorboard or welded frame visible. There are a few other little nit-picks but overall it's a beautiful car that looks to be very straight and true.

Maybe 6-8 hour drive from here so if I was in the market, I'd certainly go look it over well before spending big $ on it. Barring any issues, $15-$18K as it sits seems right. If he fixed a few things like windows, fuel gauge, shifter, I don't think $20K is out of the question. IIRC, Hagerty valued a top condition car just under $50K. This is not that car, but looks to be a great driver+. Only, what - 514 made? 541?

Its Herb's son Mike selling the cars. He is thinning out the collection a bit, he has been on a buying spree. They just opened their Forward Look Museum.

There were 514 '66 Imp rags built; the fewest of the '64-'66 series. This is a pretty nice car, IMO. Only gripes I have is that there are no pics of the car with the top down, and the excessive black paint underneath. The original washer reservoir is missing and a cheapo Pep Boys unit is mounted too far back. The sellers'definition of "loaded" leaves a bit to be desired, as noted earlier. Despite all that, I'd think it should bring $20K quite easily. If you guys saw the bronze '66 on bringatrailer.com last month, that car brought $45K. It had a color change, but that did that car a tremendous boost in Turbine Bronze Metallic! As an owner of one, I do have my bias, but these are gaining strength in the market right now. I would NOT take less than $20K for mine, and it's a strong #3 overall. Mine also had a color change early in life from beige to Daffodil Yellow - believe me, that beige is the worst color they ever put on an Imperial! The yellow with black interior and white top is amazing!

"Needs little details to be an amazing car. Driver and passenger window motors are dying/dead. Same for front vent windows. Fuel gauge isn’t working. Shifter needle stays at 2. In a normal situation we’d fix these things prior to selling."
I'm sorry, but you're asking $20k for the car, may not be a normal situation for you, but for the person shelling out $20k, it's extremely normal. I call it lazy and cheap.

Well, perhaps the reserve price is low enough to make doing the work yourself or even paying someone worthwhile. I'd guess you could get most of it sorted over a weekend if you didn't need parts. Window motors can be cleaned and re-greased, but from someone who has recently been working inside one of the doors, it is a major PITA. If I was paying someone to repair all 4 windows and both vents, I'd expect to be charged a kilobuck or more for the pure annoyance of it. And that assumes no parts needed like switches or motors. Fuel gauge could be the sender, not difficult but definitely a hassle to change.

I noticed the washer jug as well. Looks like they moved it to accommodate an overflow jug for the coolant. Not the neatest approach(the switchback coolant hose looks foolish), but I'd give whoever did it an A for creativity. The stock car just blows out coolant onto the ground through the hose. I'm guessing someone wanted a reliable driver.

It all depends what you want the car for: to drive and enjoy or to show. Expectations for the latter will be much higher at that price.

The upside is, by the overall looks of it, there isn't a lot more you need to do to the car. That's where the in-person inspection comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back