1966 new yorker freshened up

Joekay

Reaction score
So i decided a formal build thread would be good. Wont be completed until spring time is my best guess. But here it is. Starting with a 66 new yorker with clean interior clean exterior ran pretty rough. Motor is half apart and getting ready to head to the builder. Transmission is almost done. Updating to front disc brakes and redoing all the lines and rear drums. Got some swap meet wheels powdercoated to match the car and some new cheap rubber. Enterior is original and in excellent shape and will remain untouched aside from a floor nounted cable shifter. A lot of parts stacking up with much more to go. Ill post later to update the plans on the engine, and specs on transmission

20170803_105542.jpg

20170804_163454.jpg

Welcome to the site. Nice car. You will find a vast amount of knowledge here. I have done the same things to my 1966 300. I know what mistakes not to make again.

Agreed - nice car, rare too being a 6 window sedan. Wheels are VERY nice!

Regarding your floor shifter idea... If I had my druthers, I'd get a floor shift tilt/tele column, factory console and shifter and a pair of those gorgeous 66 factory NYr buckets seen so often with a centre fold down armrest. Ditch the armrest and there's room for the console. This is an idea I toss around for my 66 T&C wagon.

With the utmost respect, while it's your car to enjoy any way you want, an aftermarket floor shifter just doesn't go with the elegance of the car - too much of the "teenager boy-racer" look better suited to an A body. Your car is too elegant for that.

So the shifter is for the reverse manual valve body. The transmission got a full rebuild, alot of which im clueless on. My friend is building it as i type. I know we sourced some newer style parts, input shaft and pump, better clutches, ultimate sprag, and a deep tci aluminum pan. The shifter also has to switch for my line lock im adding while doing the brakes. It will be pedestal mounted with a small tach next to it.

The centerpiece of the car will be under the hood.(i hope, we will worry about fitment later) so i already have stealth heads, performer rpm, 850 holley, roller rockers, tti headers, aluminum water pump and housing, all the arp hardware, hv oilpump, billet timing chain. Met with the engine builder yesterday and for my goals, and budget we have decided on a 493" stroker around 10:1. Will get more solid numbers one he confirms the 80cc advertised heads. But in thr 10:1 10.5:1 range. The rotaing assembly, cam, and engine assembly and dyno is all in his lap. Hoping to see 550hp on the engine dyno

20170812_163628.jpg

While unconventional for a c body this just works for my family. Clean interior 4 doors for my two little ones in carseats, and enough power to be fun. And most of all affordable. And dare i say a little out of the norm. I know some wont like it but its being saved from rotting away, or being derbied

20170816_131804.jpg

20170816_131726.jpg

20170816_131804.jpg

Well, with all the go-power you're adding I was impressed to see that the first thing on your list was a brake upgrade. Gotta be safe!

Make sure your cam maximizes low end torque for off the line fun.

Yes not sure what the builder has planned for cam but he did tell me to use tge smaller convertor and a 3.55 or 3.73 rear ratio will be used with a 28" tire. He sold me on stroker at an extra 100lbft or torque.

So i decided a formal build thread would be good. Wont be completed until spring time is my best guess. But here it is. Starting with a 66 new yorker with clean interior clean exterior ran pretty rough. Motor is half apart and getting ready to head to the builder. Transmission is almost done. Updating to front disc brakes and redoing all the lines and rear drums. Got some swap meet wheels powdercoated to match the car and some new cheap rubber. Enterior is original and in excellent shape and will remain untouched aside from a floor nounted cable shifter. A lot of parts stacking up with much more to go. Ill post later to update the plans on the engine, and specs on transmission

View attachment 138395

View attachment 138396
You're going to need a block girdle with that stroker, and if your rebuilder tells you otherwise, take your buisness elsewhere.

You're going to need a block girdle with that stroker, and if your rebuilder tells you otherwise, take your buisness elsewhere.
He told me they started putting girdles on chryslers in the last decade but we did t discuss much further. The general consensus ive got was at 550 i would be ok with good main bolts

He told me they started putting girdles on chryslers in the last decade but we did t discuss much further. The general consensus ive got was at 550 i would be ok with good main bolts
The girdle would be cheap insurance.

I don't mind what you're doing, it's your car. Leave the column shifter and fool even more people. :D

Yeah I'm putting in a factory console as soon as I get my buckets recovered, so I'm not a hypocrite yet!

The centerpiece of the car will be under the hood.(i hope, we will worry about fitment later) so i already have stealth heads, performer rpm, 850 holley, roller rockers, tti headers, aluminum water pump and housing, all the arp hardware, hv oilpump, billet timing chain. Met with the engine builder yesterday and for my goals, and budget we have decided on a 493" stroker around 10:1. Will get more solid numbers one he confirms the 80cc advertised heads. But in thr 10:1 10.5:1 range. The rotaing assembly, cam, and engine assembly and dyno is all in his lap. Hoping to see 550hp on the engine dyno

View attachment 138414
I can hang onto those for you, you know, help keep them out of the way...:poke:

Did you get the full kit?

What I am on the hunt for is a factory console shift delete/blockoff plate that went in a 4 speed console when a console was ordered with a colunm shift car.

Yes, they're out there!

What I am on the hunt for is a factory console shift delete/blockoff plate that went in a 4 speed console when a console was ordered with a colunm shift car.

Yes, they're out there!
I just was reading about those while learning about my interior.

I can hang onto those for you, you know, help keep them out of the way...:poke:

Did you get the full kit?
I didnt the polished ceramic coat hurt enough. Ill go to the local shop for the rest of it. I was happily surprised the included collectors got me past the crossmember. All easy from there

Back