1966 new yorker freshened up

Block has not made it to the builder but it will be magnafluxed yes. I just met with him yesterday to discuss plans, timeline, budget. Now i need to finish disassembly and bring it down there.

Block has not made it to the builder but it will be magnafluxed yes. I just met with him yesterday to discuss plans, timeline, budget. Now i need to finish disassembly and bring it down there.

Mr.-Burns-excellent.jpg

A little inspiration fer ya...

Nothing fancy to take pictures of, but progress was made. Got the car out and in the air for a good pressure washing of the underside and engine bay. A clean chassis will make the brake/fuel line install easier.

Im at a crossroad on fuel system.. factory tank is junk and leaking. Do i purchase a new factory tank and sump it? Or do i buy a nice big cell already sumped? Factory sized lines arent going to make the cut. Thinking -8 is what ill use

Transmission is done. Minus a shift lever that was missing from the tci shifter. Summit is sending that out now. I know it got a newer style input shaft and some newer internal hardparts that im clueless on. Red clutches, ultimate sprag, a&a rmvb and a tci deep aluminum pan.

Block made it to the shop as well. Factory internals are going to my friend who did the transmission. Preliminary plans only until i get word the block is good, then we lock in plans. But as of now 493", hyd roller, stealth heads, 440source rockers, performer rpm intake, 850dp, arp bolts throughout. Below is a photo i found that is guiding the motor.

$(KGrHqF,!qcFEOfDTY-4BRfCtNJu-g~~60_35.jpg

I don't want to beat this part of the plan into the ground because folks make their own decisions BUT .. I had a reverse manual valve body on my 440 68 Monaco that I shifted from the column .. slamming from D to 2 to 1 was an awful lot of fun and no one was the wiser with regards to the tranny mods.... jus don't let anyone else drive it. My girlfriend at the time got in, put it in drive and hit the gas once ... ick..

I don't want to beat this part of the plan into the ground because folks make their own decisions BUT .. I had a reverse manual valve body on my 440 68 Monaco that I shifted from the column .. slamming from D to 2 to 1 was an awful lot of fun and no one was the wiser with regards to the tranny mods.... jus don't let anyone else drive it. My girlfriend at the time got in, put it in drive and hit the gas once ... ick..
That would definitely add to the stealth factor.

So I got the brakes finished up with new shoes hardware and wheel cylinders in the rear. The disc brake kit I got from cbodybob up front. A proportioning valve valve to the rear and linelock for the the front. New hard and rubber lines throughout. Also got my shifter pedestal made and installed. Engine is in the hands of builder so next on my list is the rear end. Thinking about Yukon shafts, and a spool. Gears will be 3.55 or 3.73 going to look at caltracs aswell. Power should be 550hp+ and want to get some tires to hook and not blow reared apart getting this barge rolling. Any opinions on differential upgrades?

20170918_175054.jpg

20170919_110505.jpg

20170919_110549.jpg

That was the booster that I received with the whole combo. But I'm open to hear what the issue is and why? My father in law has manual brakes on his roadrunner. Same as my belvedere?

Cool - that booster you have is for drum brakes. Discs use a different booster (dual diaphragm). They interchange but the drum booster is weaker than the disc booster and can't actually fully energize the disc system.

The brakes as they are will work fine for 90% of your needs - it's just that extra oomph needed that will stop you 20 feet sooner, say when that child rides out in front of you or some idiot pulls in front if you and then jams on the brakes.

It can save your life, the child's life, the life of the dumbass in front of you and last but not least, your car.

Ok I guess whoever put this scarebird kit on previously never changed booster. I did just get off the phone with Calvert and have a set of caltracs on the way. That should give me something to do while in funneling cash to the engine builder. So I'll probably pull springs out and have them powder coated. Then I need to decide on if factory axles will hold or I need New ones. I am changing gears and considering a spool. Then a fuel tank and lines and wait more on engine......

So caltracs should arrive Monday and doctor diff should be shipping out my parts Monday. Today I'm straightening up the garage and turning the car around to tear the rear end apart. New spring bushings and caltracs. And send the 3rd member to my friend to be put together. Went with 3.73 gears and 35spline axles and spool. With my tall tires I should be in the acceptable range of rpm. This won't be a cross country cruiser. But I would like to still be able to hit the highway when needed and not tax the motor too much.

So caltracs should arrive Monday and doctor diff should be shipping out my parts Monday. Today I'm straightening up the garage and turning the car around to tear the rear end apart. New spring bushings and caltracs. And send the 3rd member to my friend to be put together. Went with 3.73 gears and 35spline axles and spool. With my tall tires I should be in the acceptable range of rpm. This won't be a cross country cruiser. But I would like to still be able to hit the highway when needed and not tax the motor too much.
Not too far off from my driver set up, I like the 3.55's I've got. I get to cruise at 70-75 on the highway so it can roam about the countryside. I've wondered if I could make the 7-8 hour trek to the top of the state.

You may want to rethink the spool with street driving it. Does anyone make a mechanical locker like a Detroit locker for the 8 3/4. I know spools can be hard on axles when street driven.

I've had vehicles with spools,lockers,open, I had one truck I welded the spider gears on and drove it a ton on the street. I just take my tight turns easier. I went with the spool to get the larger spline axles.

A friend just bought a Jeep and he says it has a locker but when he pulled into the shop all you can here is tires chirping because it's not unlocking. Were beginning to think it's a spool or some one made a Lincoln locker.

My days of lincoln lockers are behind me I believe. Even our demo cars get full spools. I actually prefer a spool over a locker. I had a jeep with lockers and the unpredictability of when it would lock combined with big flexy coils and no sway bars made it so no one would drive it but me.

Got the rear end tore apart, cleaned, and painted. Got the housing, springs, and cal tracs installed. I'll be taking the third member over to my friend to setup now that my care package from Dr diff came. Ignore the still dirty brake backing plates. I still need to clean those up. So I'll be getting her back on all four wheels once I can reassemble the axle. Then I just have fuel system to address until the motor is done. Can't seem to get pictures to load yet again. Some days they load fine. Others the won't. Any help on the picture uploading?

20170928_162520.jpg

Ok so now pictures seem to be loading. Good thing I turn wrenches better than I am with phones

20170928_161052.jpg

Back