1966 New Yorker Fuel tank?

Len Z

Reaction score
I have a wet spot on my tank, Haven't got a chance to look at it yet.
Looking online it seem 65 and older and 67 and newer available. But no
listing for a 1966? From what i've seen the 67+ tank looks similar, Anyone have
this problem?

Get the '67 tank. It will fit just fine. Count how many vents your existing tank has, then order one w the same count. Here: vvap or here: 67-73 Mopar C Body Fuel Gas Tank 2 Vent Pipes CR20B Spectra Premium
OR

Mopar Fuel Parts|Restoration Parts|Restoration Gas Tanks|Jim's Auto Parts

They all run about $300. There's plenty room under your '66 for cheaper, smaller B body tanks too, if you don't mind slightly reduced capacity. I got lucky when I bought Mathilda. Her tank is a proper, full sized 2 vent job without a solitary spot on the interior surfaces! I had to replace the filler neck grommet, which ran around $15, then new 5/16" rubber fuel hose to connect to the steel lines. I made the potentially DEADLY mistake of filling up plum full after that grommet was replaced withoput doing the fuel hose. It busted apart with all the weight and pressure of a full tank, leaving me, wife and baby with a growing puddle of explosive poison under the car. I screamed at the wife to get them away, and crawled under, doing the Dutch Boy at the Sea Wall act until the Fire Dept and my wife could return in a cab w a new hose. All of which is to say, remember to TAKE CARE with your vents and lines!

Last edited:
Critter just installed the CR20B on his 70 Fury ask him how it went....seemed like a good product.

Thanks for the info, That's a load off my mind. I thought i was going to have to install a fuel cell lol.
I want to get vents so i can install Fitech system soon.

I disagree it won't fit. Do a search it has been discussed a few different times.

Won't fit on my '66 300 too long. Mine was an early build in '65, if it was late build it may work.

Measure your tank before you order and find out it won't fit.

Last edited:
I disagree it won't fit. Do a search it has been discussed a few different times.

Won't fit on my '66 300 too long. Mine was an early build in '65, if it was late build it may work.

Measure your tank before you order and find out it won't fit.

Yes, DO PLEASE take measurements!

I put one in my 66 New Yorker last summer. It was the 67 tank from Spectra Premium.
Did have to bend some of the folds to clear the shocks, also you will have to fab new j-bolts for the straps. If you get the sender with the tank the sender lock sent with the tank is made of thinner material than the stock. I have had no issues

66newyorker Did you order the straps for the 67 tank or just use your 66 straps?

Get the '67 tank. It will fit just fine. Count how many vents your existing tank has, then order one w the same count. Here: vvap or here: 67-73 Mopar C Body Fuel Gas Tank 2 Vent Pipes CR20B Spectra Premium
OR

Mopar Fuel Parts|Restoration Parts|Restoration Gas Tanks|Jim's Auto Parts

They all run about $300. There's plenty room under your '66 for cheaper, smaller B body tanks too, if you don't mind slightly reduced capacity. I got lucky when I bought Mathilda. Her tank is a proper, full sized 2 vent job without a solitary spot on the interior surfaces! I had to replace the filler neck grommet, which ran around $15, then new 5/16" rubber fuel hose to connect to the steel lines. I made the potentially DEADLY mistake of filling up plum full after that grommet was replaced withoput doing the fuel hose. It busted apart with all the weight and pressure of a full tank, leaving me, wife and baby with a growing puddle of explosive poison under the car. I screamed at the wife to get them away, and crawled under, doing the Dutch Boy at the See Wall act until the Fire Dept and my wife could return in a cab w a new hose. All of which is to say, remember to TAKE CARE with your vents and lines!
I went through this on my 300. The 1967 - 68 tank DID NOT fit my 1966 300. The 67 -68 tank was one inch to long and in no way could I get the straps to bolt up. I ended up getting mine repaired and sealed.

If you're going fitech you're going to want to go with an in-tank pump.

I'm just going for the 400hp version with an external electric pump. Just need to know if i can hook up the transmission kick down easily before i buy and where
to run the wrong size coolant temp probe.(probably drill and tap water pump housing)

I put one in my 66 New Yorker last summer. It was the 67 tank from Spectra Premium.
Did have to bend some of the folds to clear the shocks, also you will have to fab new j-bolts for the straps. If you get the sender with the tank the sender lock sent with the tank is made of thinner material than the stock. I have had no issues

Starting to think the '66 300 is different than the '66 NYer, as far as the bracketing around the fuel tank. 66Newyorker do you know when your car was built. My 300 was built in early December of '65.

Looks like the rear fill grommet is shot and the bottom of the tank had bedliner sprayed on and may have rust behind that. I'll take it to the local gas tank repair place and see what they think.

Screw it, I ordered the CR20b/sender/grommet and straps. I'll make another thread on the install when it arrives.
It's not worth screwing around with a repair of this tank.

Yesterday i went for a ride and my electric fuel pump got an air bubble in
it and got stuck at a busy intersection, Cop was able to push me into an autozone parking lot and i was able to get it going. As i left
the lot i was on an uphill waiting for the light and when i accelerated my daughter in the car behind said a nice gush of gas leaked out
at the rear grommet area.

I installed the CR20b and it works fine, Only problem is slightly intrudes on shock area. Stock shocks fine but air shocks would be tight
and need some sheet metal bent away first. No rust, only fluid film sprayed on.

gas tank.jpg

gas 2.jpg

gas 3.jpg

Glad you made the SMART decision! I've got the CR20b on my '66 Newport 2 door, with Monroe air shocks and a single exhaust for the 383 and everything fits very nicely. I plan to replace the sending unit IFF a 70 Ohm 12V fuel gauge won't work with it. There are several "universal" sending units which will bolt up to the tank and allow you to pick the impedance and voltage of the fuel gauge. Now iff a working NOS fuel gauge falls from Heaven onto my porch, I'll sing Hosannah and a Gloria in Excelsis, but barring that, I plan to modernize this portion of Mathilda's instrumentation.

Back