1966 Paint code E, paint supply house can't find a formula...

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I wanted to pick up some paint for my '66 300, and my semi-local paint house claims they can no longer find the formula. Same with a secondary supplier who I only use in a pinch.

I don't believe this information just evaporated. The ingredients still exist, it's simply that some entity has decided that we no longer deserve access to this info I guess.

So, can someone supply the formula, preferably in PPG or some other common system? I have all the formula number codes, just not the FORMULA.

Thank you.

It's probably not the "Formula" as such, but converting it to modern coatings and pigments? Each change in the paint systems usually brings in new. or deletes some of the original pigments used in the formula. As there have been many "new" paint systems since the old DuPont Centauri acrylic enamel (now called "single stage", I believe), the old original pigments might be long gone.

NOW, there are a few places which still do single-stage acrylic enamel. I don't recall the product name, but I was told it was very similar to the old DuPont Centauri acrylic enamel in how it sprayed and such. I don't see why they might not do a "hand match" to an existing part, or a "fancier" computer match. Just not "factory pack" as such.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Try TCPglobal their autocolorlibrary.com has lists of the old colors and you can order in the paint you want lacquer enamel water based etc.

Note that the same color in the above 3 paint types "will" look like different shades due to the different types as well as the fact that formulas have varied from those used in the assembly plant.

Your suppliers can call and discuss their requirements and the paint should arrive within a week.

Good luck.

When the cars were new, the local paint supply stores could order "factory pack" pints for spot repairs. One body shop I knew had a gold Firebird in, about 1979 vintage. They got a factory pack of that color, but it didn't match. Research indicated that that color, from a particular assembly plant, never did match as "the locals" tweaked the formula a bit so it was different from the Firebirds from the other plant. Had to have it hand-matched, which worked.

Using a formula mix can be problematic if a "match" is desired. Reason is what the paint can labels call "photochemically reactive". That means that in the presence of UV light, the paint will "fade" from such exposure. If you're doing a whole vehicle, no problem with the formula mix, but if you're doing a fender or spot repair, it might not match very well, all things considered. How much "fade" there might be can be variable, but with the price of paint these days, the "hand match" might be better.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I went through the same issue a few months ago, Same Color "Regal Blue Metallic" I settle for Axalta (Dupont) Nason because Centari is obsolete. Went to a major body shop supply house with my codes and No Dice. The paint man couldn't locate formula. I had several codes He called another location and got the nearest match which was for a 1980 Toyota,(GASP)
I had the car painted and I am Very Happy with the color. Let me know if you want the that code. It was for Nason Acryllic Enamel.
Imperially , Gary.
PTDC0007.JPG
PTDC0009.JPG

Had the same issue with color for the Monaco. I just wanted a couple rattle cans to touch-up underhood and jambs. Custom mix paint place came up with a GM color their computer said was the closest. The spot painted areas matched the original non-faded color under the hood pad and deck lid exactly.

My 66 is F1 Haze green. While I found some formulas for it none of them were a type of paint I wanted to use. I wound up painting it with the 2006 Mustang retro color Lime Gold. Very close to the original color with more vibrance due to the newer metallic being more three dimensional.
PB290002_03 (1).JPG

My 66 is F1 Haze green. While I found some formulas for it none of them were a type of paint I wanted to use. I wound up painting it with the 2006 Mustang retro color Lime Gold. Very close to the original color with more vibrance due to the newer metallic being more three dimensional.View attachment 203290
Do you have any comparison shots? That the color of my Monaco, and I'd love to see the difference.

I don't know if this helps, but here's what paintref.com has on 1966 Chrysler code E "Regal Blue". It cross-references to the following:
Chrysler DT8332
Ditzler PPG 13040
Dupont 4757LH, 181-97800
Acme Rogers 5060
RM BASF A1829, E1829

It was only offered as a standard colour in 1966-67, but then again as a Chrysler "fleet" colour in 1983.

Do you have any comparison shots? That the color of my Monaco, and I'd love to see the difference.
Here is a picture showling the door jamb that wasn't painted. The picture shows the exterior a bit golder but and it's not, just the lighting. I'll try to pull it outside later to get a better shot.
20180801_082212.jpg

I don't know if this helps, but here's what paintref.com has on 1966 Chrysler code E "Regal Blue". It cross-references to the following:
Chrysler DT8332
Ditzler PPG 13040
Dupont 4757LH, 181-97800
Acme Rogers 5060
RM BASF A1829, E1829

It was only offered as a standard colour in 1966-67, but then again as a Chrysler "fleet" colour in 1983.

PaintRef.com saved me with having a reference to a color that I needed.
Regal Blue 1966 - Paint Cross Reference

Alan

The problem a friend of mine is having is that where he lives they can only use waterborne paint and the formula for the color he needs hasn't been done, now if he could use the solvent based paint he would have a choice of paint manufacturers.

Alan

I will check when I get home. My paint store was able to find a formula in a two stage. I am pretty sure it was Nason. I was very happy with the results. My paint is 5 years old with 10,000 miles and still looks great and no stone chips, so happy with the durability

I went through the same issue a few months ago, Same Color "Regal Blue Metallic" I settle for Axalta (Dupont) Nason because Centari is obsolete. Went to a major body shop supply house with my codes and No Dice. The paint man couldn't locate formula. I had several codes He called another location and got the nearest match which was for a 1980 Toyota,(GASP)
I had the car painted and I am Very Happy with the color. Let me know if you want the that code. It was for Nason Acryllic Enamel.
Imperially , Gary. View attachment 203261 View attachment 203262
Sure, i would love to have the code if it isn't much trouble. I didn't realize it was a 2-year only color. Thank you all for the help.

Several years ago, I watched a video on matching BC/CC paint. It was a training film by DuPont (or another OEM supplier). Other than "soft masking" the painted/blend area, it mentioned that the final "match" would not happen until the LAST coat of clear had dried. Not unlike what an old-line body shop operator told me about the Lincoln "clear coated" colors from the middle '70s. Kind of like you either had to follow the instructions exactly, have good luck, or hold you mouth just right. AND, a more recent comment from another body shop owner regarding "water borne" paints is very similar.

GREAT that y'all have had such good luck with what you've done! Axalta was the name I was trying to remember in a previous post.

Thanks for the great pictures and information!
CBODY67

The problem a friend of mine is having is that where he lives they can only use waterborne paint and the formula for the color he needs hasn't been done, now if he could use the solvent based paint he would have a choice of paint manufacturers.

Alan
Has your friend tried autocolorlibrary.com? They offer colors in water based paint.

Nason Fulthane silver and black label was what they use for the single stage underneath on mine. (Used to be DuPont)
The dual stage was Axalta -color code RM444- (RR1-Burgundy Metallic ) Also the old Dupont.
I can’t help you with water base, or I guess your specific color, but it is frustrating to try to find the modern color match.

Back