1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 Door Hardtop

TX66SportFury

Reaction score
Figured I would go ahead and start my rebuild/restoration thread on my wife's 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 Door Hardtop that she recently inherited from her grandfather. The car is a 2 owner original California 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 Door Hardtop. Car has all of the original numbers matching drivetrain. 383 Super Commando 4BBL, 727 Torqueflight and 8 3/4" Posi Rearend.

Car has a very interesting back story. It has 5,570 miles. Original owner was a doctor who bought it for his wife as a grocery getter brand new off the showroom floor. She never drove it and it just sat parked in their garage. My wife's grandfather was the original owners next door neighbor and bought it from them in 1970. He drove it for a very brief time and then parked it as well. Fast forward to him retiring and moving to south Texas in 1997 where once again it was parked in his garage and never really driven. I had been bugging my wife's grandfather about the car for years until 2-3 years ago we went down to Endinburg, Texas with my truck and car hauler and brought it back to my shop in Haslet, Tx.

Since I had to literally drag it out of the garage due to the brakes being seized up, first thing I did was replace and rebuild the entire braking system. (Believe it or not the drums and
pads are still the originals as the weren't worn down at all.). Did have to replace the wheel cylinders, brake lines and master cylinder/power brake booster. I went ahead and did a complete tune-up by replacing the distributor cap/rotor, wires and spark plugs. Next I rebuilt the original Carter carburetor. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Drained the tank and put fresh fuel in it. And finally drained and replaced the oil and oil filter. Put in a fresh battery and the car started right up. Actually ran like a top!!!

I went ahead and drained and replaced the rest of the fluids; transmission fluid, P/S fluid and coolant before I took her out on her first test drive in many years. Once again she drove like a dream. We are really looking forward to continue working on her and bringing her back to her original glory or even better than new condition.

Here is pictures of the car when we went down to her grandfathers house in South Texas to pick up the car.

00F0F_1DtQz2EcCS5_1200x900.jpg
00K0K_9z0P32FR9CB_1200x900.jpg
00N0N_2uslpjJFqDU_1200x900.jpg
00N0N_qKb9DiRViF_1200x900.jpg
00V0V_dVazBVvEXZQ_1200x900.jpg

Figured I would go ahead and start my rebuild/restoration thread on my wife's 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 Door Hardtop that she recently inherited from her grandfather. The car is a 2 owner original California 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 Door Hardtop. Car has all of the original numbers matching drivetrain. 383 Super Commando 4BBL, 727 Torqueflight and 8 3/4" Posi Rearend.

Car has a very interesting back story. It has 5,570 miles. Original owner was a doctor who bought it for his wife as a grocery getter brand new off the showroom floor. She never drove it and it just sat parked in their garage. My wife's grandfather was the original owners next door neighbor and bought it from them in 1970. He drove it for a very brief time and then parked it as well. Fast forward to him retiring and moving to south Texas in 1997 where once again it was parked in his garage and never really driven. I had been bugging my wife's grandfather about the car for years until 2-3 years ago we went down to Endinburg, Texas with my truck and car hauler and brought it back to my shop in Haslet, Tx.

Since I had to literally drag it out of the garage due to the brakes being seized up, first thing I did was replace and rebuild the entire braking system. (Believe it or not the drums and
pads are still the originals as the weren't worn down at all.). Did have to replace the wheel cylinders, brake lines and master cylinder/power brake booster. I went ahead and did a complete tune-up by replacing the distributor cap/rotor, wires and spark plugs. Next I rebuilt the original Carter carburetor. Replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Drained the tank and put fresh fuel in it. And finally drained and replaced the oil and oil filter. Put in a fresh battery and the car started right up. Actually ran like a top!!!

I went ahead and drained and replaced the rest of the fluids; transmission fluid, P/S fluid and coolant before I took her out on her first test drive in many years. Once again she drove like a dream. We are really looking forward to continue working on her and bringing her back to her original glory or even better than new condition.
Great story, need to post some pics. Wou;ld like to see a true low mileage survivor.

Quick video of my wife driving the car out to the 2018 Good Guys Spring Lone Star Nationals.

Last edited:
Back