1966 Polara 500 Ragtop

Dsertdog

Old man with an old guitar, and a blue note.
Reaction score
I guess I'll start at the beginning.
Two weeks ago I looked at the car. It wasn't perfect but it was all there.
The PO really hadn't driven it much over the last couple of years, and probably did even less work to it other than keep it running.
Strangely, it's an RL price code car but has a drivers power seat, AC, Tilt tele wheel and floor console. I posted earlier that the engine was a G code 383 2 bbl, but...Surprise! When we pulled off the air cleaner, it was a Carter AFB on the correct low rise. I've since found evidence that the G code could be either a 2 or 4 barrel carb engine.
It wouldn't start but turned over...however when we got it back to a shop in Tulsa, we were able to get it running but it would not stay running...seems like maybe a collapsed or cracked rubber hose hose somewhere. My Mechanic is a die hard old school Mopar guy, it'll run.
IMG_20190222_112335.jpg

IMG_20190222_125407.jpg

IMG_20190222_115248.jpg

IMG_20190222_144258.jpg

IMG_20190222_144324[1].jpg

After my mechanic gets it running, aligns it, and thoroughly inspects the brakes, I will post more photos of problem areas.
We will be upgrading to the dual master cylinder soon.

Looks like belts, hoses, and perhaps that funky idler pulley for the water pump , along with a return hose for the power steering

It also appears that the temp sender isn't hooked up.

Last edited:
This looks like a nice solid find. If it wont stay running, put a fresh fuel filter on it and also put one in the input line in case the fuel tank is full of sludge from sitting. Or put on the new filter and hook the input for the pump to a clean fuel source. Carb might be all gunked up from moonshine fuel, but try the above first. Like the car.

Dave

Last edited:
I guess I'll start at the beginning.
Two weeks ago I looked at the car. It wasn't perfect but it was all there.
The PO really hadn't driven it much over the last couple of years, and probably did even less work to it other than keep it running.
Strangely, it's an RL price code car but has a drivers power seat, AC, Tilt tele wheel and floor console. I posted earlier that the engine was a G code 383 2 bbl, but...Surprise! When we pulled off the air cleaner, it was a Carter AFB on the correct low rise. I've since found evidence that the G code could be either a 2 or 4 barrel carb engine.
It wouldn't start but turned over...however when we got it back to a shop in Tulsa, we were able to get it running but it would not stay running...seems like maybe a collapsed or cracked rubber hose hose somewhere. My Mechanic is a die hard old school Mopar guy, it'll run.View attachment 262936

View attachment 262937

View attachment 262938

View attachment 262939

View attachment 262941

After my mechanic gets it running, aligns it, and thoroughly inspects the brakes, I will post more photos of problem areas.
We will be upgrading to the dual master cylinder soon.

Looks like belts, hoses, and perhaps that funky idler pulley for the water pump , along with a return hose for the power steering

It also appears that the temp sender isn't hooked up.

Somebody has also added a smog style vacuum delay (blue valve) to the line going to the distributor, will probably run better with out it. Far as I know, all 383 engines were G code for '66.

Dave

Last edited:
Going to be in Tulsa on way way back to Chicago from San Jose on the 11th of March. Send me a PM if you would like to meet up, and I could give you some information on your car.
Bill

This looks like a nice solid find. If it wont stay running, put a fresh fuel filter on it and also put one in the input line in case the fuel tank is full of sludge from sitting. Or put on the new filter and hook the input for the pump to a clean fuel source. Carb might be all gunked up from moonshine fuel, but try the above first. Like the car.

Dave
Filter filled with gas, not the prettiest, but it's there. Clear style filter and pre fuel pump. My guy will have it running pretty quick.

Somebody has also added a smog style vacuum delay (blue valve) to the line going to the distributor, will probably run better with out it. Far as I know, all 383 engines were G code for '66.

Dave
Car was bought in Kansas in the mid 80's by POs brother. It went to San Francisco and was there until the late 90's. Po bought it and had it trucked to Michigan, drove it summers, then moved it to Arkansas. It has a CA smog sticker, so I'm guessing the filter and check valves were a Kalifornia requirement.

Going to be in Tulsa on way way back to Chicago from San Jose on the 11th of March. Send me a PM if you would like to meet up, and I could give you some information on your car.
Bill
As much as I would love to find out anything, Mondays are out for me. Sorry!

Great to see more of the car, I love the '66 body style, but I'm biased as I have three myself.

Do you know where the car was sold new?

Great to see more of the car, I love the '66 body style, but I'm biased as I have three myself.

Do you know where the car was sold new?

I don't, but it's a pretty fair bet it was in Kansas. There was no Certicard in the holder but maybe we'll find it.

I always liked the big gals. A high school friend had a 65 2dr HT. I briefly owned a 65 sedan, so rusted out my Dad gave me a car if I'd junk it. It had the 4 bbl 383 and ran like a champ. I've owned a 72 Fury too.

The VIN "price level" is for the basic model, not related to options for that price level.

There were some issues with the "G" code engine designation in '66, as I recall. Some accurate, some not. Article in one of the older Mopar hobby magazines, as I recall.

If the car was registered in CA, then that's probably where the delay valve in the vac adv line came from. Might be a few other additions, in the mix, too?

Congrats and ENJOY!
CBODY67

The VIN "price level" is for the basic model, not related to options for that price level.

There were some issues with the "G" code engine designation in '66, as I recall. Some accurate, some not. Article in one of the older Mopar hobby magazines, as I recall.

If the car was registered in CA, then that's probably where the delay valve in the vac adv line came from. Might be a few other additions, in the mix, too?

Congrats and ENJOY!
CBODY67

I noticed that depending on who you read, the engine can vary. The last article I read alluded that all convertibles got the 4bbl motor but the 2bbl could be ordered. I'm glad to have the 4 bbl so I don't have to buy an intake and carb. :)

For the "4bbl deal", might need to look at the sales brochure or Dealer Order Guides in the Library at www.hamtramck-historical.com for verification. Maybe even some of the "Other" items of factory letters to dealers advising standard equipment changes?

Remember that the first two years of Cordobas had the 400-4bbl (single exhaust) as stated standard equipment, with the 360 and 318 2bbls as 'no charge options".

I concur about it having the factory 4bbl 383.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I use this decoder for my '66's.

DodgeCharger.org -- 1966 Fender Tag Decoder

Then I look through available codes to correct any descrepancies or clarify multiple options for the same code.

MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - 1962-1968 Fender Tag / Broadcast Sheet Codes List

Not all the codes are there, and some aren't correct, but it should get you close.

Hamtramck is a great site for information, I've looked through a ton of it and I am always going back for more.

The Polara 500 was a 383 4bbl standard, the 2bbl was an option. Both shared the G engine designation. On the fender tag will be either 615 or 625 under the ABC option codes.

Screenshot_20190223-122636~2.png

'66 Polara 500 383 2bbl

received_892264564495012~2.jpeg

'66 Polara 500 383 4bbl

IMG_5263~2.jpg

Back