1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

So the snow is finally done, it's melting very quickly and I should have the Grey car out within a week. At least I'll be able to get some miles in the seat of an old car this year, finally. Had the bug/itch to work on something for almost two months, and I need to get moving, lots to do!

I cleared a hurdle last night by getting a new credit card. I did that so I could get my parts and not be out any money (interest on my existing cards) and could get my parts now so I don't have a time crunch in a month. I need to order my exhaust and get tires. I'm working as many hours as I can get, so getting the money isn't an issue, just the timing of getting it. So I have 15 months with no interest for parts that can be paid off in a couple of months, but I can have the car done in as soon as three weeks.

I have at least one set of heads to replace the damaged one, and it's matching partner, so I'm covered there. Just have to order a gasket set and that will take me a day to swap the heads and button up the top end. Been there done that. I'm hoping that's the only issue I come across, I don't need to take another engine for the Dart, and stick it in another Polara. But I will if I need to.

Then it's just the brakes and exhaust. Switching to the dual circut master cylinder, I've had enough fun with a single circut system not working properly before. Looking back, I'd never drive the car that way again, ever. I may have had balls, but I think stupidity was the driving factor in not repairing that ailing system right away. So this gets a dual circut master right away, before even a test drive. There is still fluid in the master, but it's low, so that's slightly refreshing in that I shouldn't have to replace the lines.

I still have to get to.mynoarts car and check the numbers in the exhaust manifold, grab them if the are good, and make a phone call and wait a week or so for a box of tubes to arrive.

I can measure the rims on the grey car to verify my tire choice on the black car, and have the wheels ready to go on the car.

And I finally need to find someone to install my windshield. I haven't looked other than calling one place that hasn't gotten back to me. Plenty of time for that.

I don't know if I can make room at the house for the car to come here for the exhaust install, that would be preferable. I have thought of asking the neighbor to rent his garage for a month, it's a shorter walk. Can't wait to start working on this car, winter's been a mighty for this year.

Oh yeah, I have to figure out the air shocks, still can't find any nozzles, a more thoirouhh sewrchighy find something.

New shoes! 28" tire is pretty tall, but I'll have the rake I want.

IMG_20180430_152127.jpg

Got an appointment for the windshield install. Have to wait til tomorrow to order the exhaust, the tti crew is still on the way back from Vegas. Thursday is go time, swap heads, install all brake pieces as needed, radiator hoses, thermostat, find the water pump for the Dart, sorry! And wait for my exhaust to get here. I'll have the car moved to my garage so I can slap that in when it gets here, and having been through that before, it should go easier this time around. Gotta clean up all the brackets and wire looks I took off my parts car Saturday, might as well make it as accurate as possible. I'm antsy but will have to wait the three days til I can start getting things done. Nothing worse than waiting. I'm still only a week behind when I wanted the car on the road, so I'm doing good on the timeline. I usually dread deadlines, but I'm still on the positive side so far.
Can't wait!

Last edited:
I also grabbed some paint for the heads and dampener, hope it matches closely.

IMG_20180430_160437.jpg

It did say Chrysler on the label, sorry, no pic for now. I guess I could go to Napa, but wait, they have the same brand. Poo.

For 1966, you want Turquoise, NOT Corporate Blue. That color wasn't even around until 1969 on engines, and was across the board in th 1972MY. Just sayin'...

IMG_2619.JPG
I also grabbed some paint for the heads and dampener, hope it matches closely.

View attachment 182600
It's not as blue as it looks photographed by a digital phone in natural light. It's not the closest there is but it is close.
I did my sheet metal and intake with that. "Good enough for the gals I go out with" as they say.

View attachment 182917
It's not as blue as it looks photographed by a digital phone in natural light. It's not the closest there is but it is close.
I did my sheet metal and intake with that. "Good enough for the gals I go out with" as they say.
I looked at it again after I posted that pic, definitely not the same color in person, close to the color the PO painted the engine.

I looked at it again after I posted that pic, definitely not the same color in person, close to the color the PO painted the engine.
I'm pretty sure my rattle can said Chrysler turquoise...or Chrysler green? I'll get a look at it tonight when I get home and confirm but I'm pretty certain the number was DE1619.

It was a nice match to where I cleaned the guck off the rest of the motor and CERTAINLY better than the Ford Blue that was used by the PO.

I got DE 1631 Chrysler Blue

15252766433295619241194131327025.jpg

I'll have to look at the engine and see if I need a different color. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. I looked at Dupli•Color's website and the difference is noteable between 1619 and 1631. I'm thinking I grabbed the right can, maybe? At the time it looked right.

They're definitely different ... unfortunately, I have no Idea what I have. The site lists 1619 as "Chrysler Green" and it looks to be the right color but they only have it as high temp paint which I know I didn't use...

Anyhow, I'll give a look when I get home.

I got DE 1631 Chrysler Blue

View attachment 182921

I'll have to look at the engine and see if I need a different color. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. I looked at Dupli•Color's website and the difference is noteable between 1619 and 1631. I'm thinking I grabbed the right can, maybe? At the time it looked right.

Once again. . . Just go order the correct paint from Bill Hirsch:

AEROSOL ENGINE ENAMEL-hirschauto.com

I'm trying to match paint on the engine. I'm not pulling it out to give it a shot of color, just the heads and dampener.

If the paint on the engine is original, the Bill Hirsch paint will be the closest match.

If the paint on the engine is original, the Bill Hirsch paint will be the closest match.
I doubt it, it's been rebuilt and the color looks more blue (the cap looks like the color on the block) than the turquoise. I'm pretty certain if I saw a can of 1619 it wouldn't match.

But thanks for the lead on the Hirsch paint.

Road trip tonight! I was talking with my friend who supplied me with some 516 heads to slap on in case I couldn't find my 452 heads, which I did, and he tells me he has a 69 383 4 barrel intake. I forgot to tell him I had the Weiand Team G manifold with the car and knew it was too much for what I want. So I get to go back and grab the intake from him. No big whoop, I'll hammer out some work on the car and get the intake after dark.

@LocuMob

Just so you know, the Duplicolor I used was indeed 1619 Chrysler Green. Not that you care as you're just trying to match what's there, but I thought I'd let you know!

Back