1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

Looks a little clearer I the daylight.

View attachment 184355

Not a perfect match. I don't know about the block, but the heads were orange under the green paint, and we used the blue as a base, could explain the difference. This place has obviously rubbed off on me, as I painted the aluminum water pump and housing. What has become of me?

View attachment 184356

View attachment 184357

I'll get valve covers off the parts car and clean them up, paint them and install them, probably in a week or two, the chrome ones will have to do. Exhaust still on track for install this weekend. Clean and paint pulleys, and finish painting brackets. Still need to hook up a battery and check all electrical goodies.
I do like a clean engine bay, but anyone who gives you crap about the color match should be told to GFY immediately. I wouldn't fight to hide my engine, but I have no intention of ever opening the hood for display again... I tried it for a short time and I'd rather enjoy the car as she's supposed to look.

I do like a clean engine bay, but anyone who gives you crap about the color match should be told to GFY immediately. I wouldn't fight to hide my engine, but I have no intention of ever opening the hood for display again... I tried it for a short time and I'd rather enjoy the car as she's supposed to look.
I usually whip open my hood to show off the crappy harness, flaking paint,the MSD hanging on by one screw, but most importantly, the color it once was. It's a mess and I don't care.

I figure I'll make this one a little cleaner, since I have a great starting point. I just thought of when I got my Dart, and was putting in a blue engine with an orange intake and getting crap from the landscaping crew (I knew enough of them) for that shoddy looking thing. Took a second and I turned around and grabbed the paint and off I went. Just making it look purdy. And I don't care what someone else thinks, it's about what I think of the car. :thumbsup:

I usually whip open my hood to show off the crappy harness, flaking paint,the MSD hanging on by one screw, but most importantly, the color it once was. It's a mess and I don't care.

I figure I'll make this one a little cleaner, since I have a great starting point. I just thought of when I got my Dart, and was putting in a blue engine with an orange intake and getting crap from the landscaping crew (I knew enough of them) for that shoddy looking thing. Took a second and I turned around and grabbed the paint and off I went. Just making it look purdy. And I don't care what someone else thinks, it's about what I think of the car. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

106# of joy arrived at my doorstep today.

IMG_20180510_173617.jpg

Hell yeah.

Mainfolds back, 2.5" system. Went together pretty easily, past experience helps. I hate getting rubber bushings over the barbs for the tailpioe hangers! I used some grease, but when your under a car, it sucks no matter what. Went easier than my gray car, so I didn't use as many swear words, until I got it on, then let a few fly. The worst part IMO.

I still have to cut the H pipe down to fit the head pipes correctly, and trim the tailpipes to get the tips under the bumper.

IMG_20180512_200408.jpg

IMG_20180512_200431.jpg

IMG_20180512_203226.jpg

I'm taking today off, one, it's mothers day, too, I'm beat after being up 36 hours yesterday. I slept hard last night and have nothing left in the tank. I'll be back out tomorrow morning to wrap up the pipe install, with the exception of the driver's side manifold, found out it was cracked, so one is coming. Still on track, other than backing up the start date. I'll still get some seat time to sort things out before June 2nd.

And I'm having a fun time at the new shop. Room to move around and the dirt floor isn't bothering me that much. It's warmer than concrete, that's for sure! We will be getting some nice 8'x3' benches thistweekend to give more space to work on small projects. We are already planning on bringing the '72 W200 here once this car is driveable. Jared has liked helping me with the fixing of my car, and wants to keep working on something. So I'll try to show him as much as I can, he's gonna need to know some things when he takes my gray car to his house, she can be cranky sometimes. He'll do alright.

More cleaning/painting of parts tomorrow, finish the exhaust, and Rob the spare engine of it's bolts, to replace all the missing ones on the 500, tranny bolts, torque convertor bolts, engine mounts, and whatever else I have yet to find. And check the electricals. Easy peasy.

Had to cut yesterday way short for unexpected reasons, but did manage to crawl under the car and get the exhaust better aligned, and was able to move everything back with a rubber mallet and some gentle beating of the mufflers and H-pipe. Didn't have to cut anything, and the head pipes lined up and I was able to put the bolts in and mock it up. Hope to have the driver's side manifold by Thursday, til then it's loose.

I did get a little work in after work. I cut the tailpipes down about 6" to get the tips under the bumper. :wtf: More FCBO brainwashing showing up. I got them so the tip ends just before the lip of the bumper.

IMG_20180515_100527.jpg

IMG_20180515_100547.jpg

I think I should only have to play under the car once, maybe twice more. Getting good at walking with my shoulders! Getting there, won't be long!

Last edited:
Are those stands on soft dirt?
Hard *** animal packed dirt. Not the ideal surface, but the car is solid. After the top inch is scraped away, it's like concrete. I tried getting the car to move, and it wouldn't.

I've had a lifelong fear, to the point it's a phobia, of crawling under any car. Don't know where it came from but it's a phobia I have no desire to cure.

I've had a lifelong fear, to the point it's a phobia, of crawling under any car. Don't know where it came from but it's a phobia I have no desire to cure.

I can relate to that.

One of the first things my father told me when I first started wrenchng is to never get under a car without an insurance policy. His policy wasn't a piece of paper, it was a chunk of wood that was thicker than me. For example when changing a flat, he told me to put the spare under frame first, then pull the flat and put it also under the frame, then install the spare.

The only problem today is I'm now way too thick (fat) to fit under any car and even if I did manage to get down on the floor, I'd need fork lift to get me back on my feet. Getting old sucks!
:lol:

Got the last rim and tire installed, along with new lug nuts and center caps.

IMG_20180517_120037.jpg

IMG_20180517_094249.jpg

Back