1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

Surprised at the length of the TTI exhaust and adjustments necessary out of the box. Mine fit like a glove first time. Looking good just the same.

Surprised at the length of the TTI exhaust and adjustments necessary out of the box. Mine fit like a glove first time. Looking good just the same.
I only had to cut the tailpipes on this vs H-pipe and tailpipe with the headers. I think they make it to the longest wheelbase so it will fit all models. Went pretty easy so I'm glad. I could do the next car in my sleep.

When you gonna get a windshield on that thing?
And it's installed!

IMG_20180522_085036.jpg

I'm as happy as

tenor.gif

So I've plugged away, and gotten beaten down a bit. Should have ordered all kinds of little things I thought I had or could use, that turned out not to work. Oh well, I just have less time to play before the show. Got the exhaust bolted up, mini starter, balancer, carb, and distributor installed. I also put in the missing torque convertor bolts, transmission bolts, and engine mount bolts. Simple crap, but a step forward. Playing around with the different throttle cable brackets I have and one from a member didn't work and I ordered one finally.

I also finally ran into a wall, I was exhausted from working 12 hours shifts with overtime and working on the car and getting four hours of sleep.

Then the heat came. High 90's the last few days, and tickled 100 today. So, I haven't gotten much done, but still making a little headway. I'll have everything ready in the engine bay tomorrow, with the exception of the throttle bracket. That sucker will take as long as possible to get here. So , I fire the car and break in the engine, and drive to a show the next day or two. My fault, nobody else's.

Did I mention I have a sweet chrome oil pan?!? I was shocked and worried when I saw that, but it doesn't interfere with the steering at all so that's a relief.

IMG_20180527_184109.jpg

I'd like to thank the members, for helping me get to the point where I'm excited I got the replacement screw in style PCV valve, thank you very much.

IMG_20180525_113627.jpg

I'm not even done getting it running, and I'm already planning in taking the valve covers off, and the accessories, to strip and repaint them. I'm not satisfied with my "paint it quick to get it on the road" approach. And I blame you fine folks for beating these things into my head. I'll come back out tomorrow and finish off all the little things, hoses belts, go over the fuse box, and maybe start it on Tuesday.

At least the windshield is in, you don't have to resort to wearing a helmet. I would have loved to see pic's of that though:D

How goes the thrash?
I have most everything bolted up, just waiting on the throttle cable bracket to be ready to drive. Looks like I'll be ordering two turn signal switches, both cars are in need. I'll put a jumper in the 500 so I can have brake lights. Shady? Yeah, but it'll work for the short term. I don't have dash lights either. Hope they didn't cut something in the harness when they cut out the stereo. And I haven't looked at the electrical connections for the A/C unit either.

Oh did I mention there are no timing setting markers on the timing cover? That makes setting the timing sooo much easier. Another thing I should have noted and ordered three weeks ago. I might just steal the cover off the parts car tomorrow and figure something out.

I'd like to see yours this weekend, too, but I'm thinking that's not likely gonna happen. :poke:
Ya. It would be a trailer queen or joker for sure this weekend. I would like to drive it down next year.
I have a lofty goal of driving it before winter flies. Sometimes I think I could do it in a month, but reality sinks in when my wife asks me why I spend all my spare time in the garage and only come in to eat and sleep.
I can relate to @LocuMob, and all the small replacement parts that may need to be ordered. That eats up some time as well. Making seat covers may consume some time as well. I do have the brake and fuel lines, body harness and washer bottle installed.
EB9D371C-55C6-4B97-A1B9-672A878254F7.jpeg
D545A074-342B-4DAB-853F-0B1DB8DFAE66.jpeg

Hope to see it this weekend
50/50 at this point. I'm going to do what I can, but I'm not promising anything. What's left to get it going, is nothing, cut and splice a few wires. Once that happens, then I can find out if it will make the trip. I sure hope it does. For me, it's not bad progress for only having 25 days to work on it, with a ton of overtime being worked. I did have two extended weekends that helped. I have a better feeling of the stress of a short deadline build, overlook a little thing, that can kick your ***. Being informed of what you need (year specific parts for example) is always more important than you think. Then I decided to make the car as original as I could. I have to say it has been a fun exercise, and I'm going to make it even more original where I can. Then I'll build a 400 based stroker, dressed as the stock 383 and hunt down some unsuspecting B bodies! Hehe

So it's crunch time, and the engine is all bolted up, belts and hoses on, distributor, wires, carb, and it looks good. I stole the chrome dipstick off my 413, so I just have to bend up a some fuel line.

1224236796.jpg

Then what do I go and do? I figured I'm waiting in the throttle cable bracket, so why not get the timing cover off the parts car? So I grab my tools and head off. And forgot the puller for the balancer. A few minutes back to our shop, grab it and go. Got back to the parts car and, I grabbed the steering wheel puller instead. Went back to town, grabbed some lunch, talked with Laura a bit, the bracket showed up!

IMG_20180530_155208.jpg

Left and got the puller and finally got my parts. Took way too much time, but it was over, back to work! Stripped the front of the engine and cleaned and painted the bracket and cover. I have to put a seal in the cover and slap it back together. Renewed energy and optimism about it all.

IMG_20180530_165737.jpg

IMG_20180530_170002.jpg

Back