1966 Polara 500 The Black Car

So glad I swapped timing covers. The fine folks I bought the car from didn't install an oil slinger!

IMG_20180531_103014.jpg
Grabbed the one off the parts car, cleaned it up and put it on, and bolted up the front of the engine. Yeah, the crank could have been cleaned up. I'll get to that in a little bit, when I redo the paint on the engine.

Found my damned oil pump priming rod. Damn thing blended in with the drawer in my tool box, I looked several times and finally saw it. Hope to start the car in a few hours, need to double check the old nasty fuel is out of the tank, I don't know if I have a cleaner unit or not. A new tank may be in the cars future.

You'll find some guys out there that say you don't need a slinger. I saw in Moparts that not all of them came with slingers. Personally, I'm a slinger guy.
When I saw it on the parts car, I grabbed it just because, but in the back of my head I knew it might come in handy. I'd rather have one, but they might not be necessary, I don't want to find out.

So, it's 10:50 on Friday night before the show, and the car won't crank. It did, then we tried to correct the electronic ignition wiring by running a jumper from the ballast resistor to the starter relay, I thought that's how the diagram read. Well, it wouldn't do anything after that. Not sure if I friend something, but jumping the two posts on the relay makesthe car crank. I just lost the ability to do it any other way. And it cranked strong and hard, it was awesome. I have an MSD 6 AL readt to go in of need be, but I don't think that's going to rectify the issue. Been up 30 hours and thrashed on this car for the better part of 27 days, I've gotten a lot done, but it's not looking good for the 500 to be in Farmington.

Been working and took a break from the car. Went back and double checked the wiring. I switched the power lead from the crank side over to the run side. Still no spark. Swapped ballast resistor just to see, same result. I'll swap the ignition box tomorrow with one I have laying around to see if that might be it. If that doesn't work, a bigger red aftermarket box will be mounted somewhere.

I'm need to syphon out the 87 octane I put in the tank, forgot it's not a smog engine. I hope it's around ten gallons, and not much more. Whoops. Hope to get it started this weekend and put some miles on it.

Been working and took a break from the car. Went back and double checked the wiring. I switched the power lead from the crank side over to the run side. Still no spark. Swapped ballast resistor just to see, same result. I'll swap the ignition box tomorrow with one I have laying around to see if that might be it. If that doesn't work, a bigger red aftermarket box will be mounted somewhere.

I'm need to syphon out the 87 octane I put in the tank, forgot it's not a smog engine. I hope it's around ten gallons, and not much more. Whoops. Hope to get it started this weekend and put some miles on it.

Hope it all comes together for you soon!

Another fun bit from yesterday, I found the swallows we're building a nest in the trunk! Little buggers. Right behind the trunk latch mechanism.

IMG_20180612_101911.jpg

I took it out Monday, but forgot to close the trunk, so I got to do it again today. I wouldn't have even known had it not been for a bird flying away when I went to grab a toolfrom the trunk. Looked around and found the nest.I thought they were just flying through the trunk and dropping twigs. Makes more sense they'd drop crap while building something. Shows you where my mind was. An unusual distraction.

Another fun bit from yesterday, I found the swallows we're building a nest in the trunk! Little buggers. Right behind the trunk latch mechanism.

View attachment 191402

I took it out Monday, but forgot to close the trunk, so I got to do it again today. I wouldn't have even known had it not been for a bird flying away when I went to grab a toolfrom the trunk. Looked around and found the nest.I thought they were just flying through the trunk and dropping twigs. Makes more sense they'd drop crap while building something. Shows you where my mind was. An unusual distraction.
Had to have been hard to swallow .. ha .. hhaha ahhahh ahhhhh ..

So I swapped out the orange ignition box for a 5 pin box off an RV 440.

IMG_20180613_124031.jpg

Wired up the green wire and installed a 4 pin ballast resistor, and viola, I have spark!

IMG_20180613_124039.jpg

Swapped out the distributor cap also, just to play it safe. Need to charge up the battery again, and get this thing started!

:BangHead: I'm an idiot. I am indeed sucking air in the fuel system,that's what happens when you have a leak, or in my case, the line isn't connected to the tank. Doh! To justify 1% of it not being my fault, we always had a jack under the pumpkin when the car was up, and besides installing the exhaust pipes, I never really looked in that area. I feel smart about this. I'll slap a new hose section in to join my steel lines, and hopefully fire this thing up in short order.

It's always the little simple things that seem to screw up a plan.

:BangHead: I'm an idiot. I am indeed sucking air in the fuel system,that's what happens when you have a leak, or in my case, the line isn't connected to the tank. Doh! To justify 1% of it not being my fault, we always had a jack under the pumpkin when the car was up, and besides installing the exhaust pipes, I never really looked in that area. I feel smart about this. I'll slap a new hose section in to join my steel lines, and hopefully fire this thing up in short order.
Been der... or close.

Every time I go back and read over this thread, it infuences me more and more to find my own slabside...how about some new pics :D

Back