1966 Single Exhaust differences

Verse

Reaction score
The part numbers for the single exhaust system on the NY are different than the Newport. Did the NY get a larger diameter exhaust? The part number for the rear hangar is different between them. I am wondering what the difference in the hangar is.
Laurence

Most likely, the NY'er had a 1/4" larger diameter exhaust. The hanger is probably sized for the bigger pipe.

In the complete system, the front y-pipe will be different due to the taller deck height of the 440 compared to the 383 (RB vs B). The hanger at the rear of the muffler should be the same type between both engines, as the very back hanger should be too. But, as mentioned, pipe diameters might be different, which would generate a different Chrysler part number. When I put the larger-pipe '72 Imperial muffler under my '67 Newport, ALL of the pipe diameters were larger than what the 383 4bbl single exhaust was, but all of the existing hangers worked, as I recall. Had to do some finagling with the front ball joint connector due to some rough surfaces on the orig 383 y-pipe. Once I got that fixed, all worked well and is still under it.

CBODY67

Check the parts book and see if the NewYorker had a resonator (muffler) in the tailpipe and if the Newport May have had a regular tail pipe. As mentioned above it could be the only difference in the hanger is the clamp size.
Below in the attachment tailpipe pipe hanger 2660436. It was used on different models between 66-68.

Alright here are my after pictures. Thanks Jason.
Anyone with a NOS Y-pipe and intermediate pipe?
View attachment 253090 View attachment 253091 View attachment 253092 View attachment 253093 View attachment 253094

The 66 300 seedan with 383-4bbl had a resonator on it.
1966 300 revival 021.JPG

1966 300 revival 001.JPG

Seems like our '66 Newport had the rear resonator from the factory. So "upscale", I thought at the time. When it got rusty, it got the resonator eliminator pipe. Sounded better to me, plus nothing to rust out. Plus a bit less expensive.

CBODY67

Back