1967 383 accessory layout

GJS

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

In a bit of a jam. Anyone have a decent photo of the accessory layout on a 383 (AC compressor, power steering, alternator)? I've got something botched and can't figure out how it goes back together. FSM is good for a lot of stuff but blow-up diagrams... not so much.

Much appreciated in advance!

All
What's the iskue?
All of it, Brother! Most importantly the set up for the compressor itself. I apparently pulled some bolts that didn't need to be pulled and now can't figure out how the bracket from the compressor to the front drivers side exhaust manifold was on there. Also can't seem to remember how the PS pump tied into all this.
Wasn't quite as careful as I should have been during tear down... damn.

IMAG1806.jpg
IMAG1805.jpg
IMAG1804.jpg
IMAG1802.jpg
Like this?

Last edited:
It's f***ed man, I must be getting old. I used to be able to throw crap in a box, pull it out two years later and bolt it all up. Not anymore. Slippin' man!

All those pics are good - the one bracket for the AC compressor that bolts to the exhaust manifold goes on the first stud of the manifold... Stud #1 is longer than all the others on AC equipped cars, so when putting it all back together, if you put a short on in there it won't have enough length.

Stud, manifold, bracket, wire loom, lock washer, nut.

Hope that helps.

A couple more just for kix, 65 but should be the same.
upload_2017-6-28_17-25-44.png

You'll notice my ground isn't connected to the proper spot.
And an overhead for giggles.
upload_2017-6-28_17-29-24.png

You may also notice the evidence of my recent fan meets radiator incident, not that it was real clean before that happened. :rolleyes:

A couple more just for kix, 65 but should be the same.
View attachment 130588
You'll notice my ground isn't connected to the proper spot.
And an overhead for giggles.
View attachment 130589
You may also notice the evidence of my recent fan meets radiator incident, not that it was real clean before that happened. :rolleyes:
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure it's different! Not by much but that brace coming off the left hand compressor head is not on mine. Also, the bracket that goes from the right cylinder to the exhaust stud is sandwiched between the cylinder and another bracket... funny they changed so much around in two years!
Thanks tho, it's still a really good hint inthe right direction!

All those pics are good - the one bracket for the AC compressor that bolts to the exhaust manifold goes on the first stud of the manifold... Stud #1 is longer than all the others on AC equipped cars, so when putting it all back together, if you put a short on in there it won't have enough length.

Stud, manifold, bracket, wire loom, lock washer, nut.

Hope that helps.
That helps a lot. Thanks man!

Back