1967 440 300 Rookie

USMC67300

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a very proud owner of a very clean 1967 300, it's not perfect but perfect for me. If any of you 300 veterans can provide input i would appreciate it. The first on the list is re-routing the fuel line. The previous owner installed a edelbrock carb with the line inlet on the left side, instead of running a new line he cut it a little after the water pump added rubber fuel line, then a filter, another piece of rubber then a 3/8" steel line with 3 90^ bends in it. He also put four clothes pins on the fuel line. My 75 year old father looked at that and said "vapor lock". The previous owner said he never had any problems, why the pins then :) I would like to come up from the fuel pump, behind the distributor(?) then continue on to a filter then 90^ in to the carb. What is the best line material? Should i keep the filter after the pump or move it before the pump?

Thank you ALL, love the site.

I'd use typical hard fuel line and just bend it to fit what you want. As for fileter, if you want to be correct to year/period after the pump. If it were me, I'd go before the pump especially if it isn't driven allot. You never know what ends up in the fuel line, better to plug up a filter rather than puncture a diapharm. Or be double sure and place one before and one after.

Thank you Monaco, i like the idea of a solid line from the pump to the carb, filter before the pump makes sense. I'll make a template with an old coat hanger and try to duplicate it with the tubing.

Do you run stock ignition? That is project number two for me.

You can also buy prebent kits from places like Inline tubing and on ebay Motor City Originals. The 2 filter idea is one I never thought of, not bad especially if it's sat for awhile.
As far as ignition, if you're wanting new, both Mancini and Indy sell electronic conversion kits for $200. I bought mine from Indy at the Nats and saved on shipping costs.

yes the filter before the pump is the way to go. another place called the right stuff can bend you a fuel line as well and they are fairly reasonable

I'll stick one before the fuel pump. last night i went on mancini's website and looked at everything Mopar, i think this is going to be an expensive winter :) I will post a before and after pic of the engine compartment. The pics i have now are too big to add to my profile.

What octane gas do you guys use? Do you add the 104 boost? I haven't had a carb bigblock since my 72 T-bird back in 1984.

I have a 383 with a Holley 650 cfm carb in my 69 Monaco convertible & I run regular gas 87 octane with no problem. Once in a while especially if I am going on a trip where I will burn a full tank I will fill it with super 91 octane. I installed a Pertronix electronic points system 2 years ago & it has worked great. All hidden under the distributer cap & no more points. Also I have 1 fuel filter just after the fuel pump. Install the filter as far away from the exhaust manifolds & head area as possible. Mine was right beside the distributer & I could actually watch the gas boil in the filter. Plus i got vapor lock quite often. These big blocks get super hot. Let us know how you make out.

Are your Vapor Lock problems a thing of the past? I want to keep the line as short as possible yet not have it laying right on the block, head, etc. What size line did you run from the filter to the carb?

By installing the fuel filter approx 2" from the fuel pump & using 5/16" fuel line running up the front edge of the block half way between the block & the pulleys, vapor lock was eliminated. Use a good quality tubing bender to make the bends it looks more professional when complete. Good luck.

Jumping back in kinda late, what size connection is on the outlet of the stock fuel pump? is it 3/8"nptf? I have to use an adapter to get it up one size for the 3/8" line and my edelbrock. Thank you.

Mine has to be 5/16, cause I didn't need any adaptor. If you have a 3/8 line that is fine, just keep it away from the exhaust manifold by running it along the front of the block. The fan & just the air running thru the grill cools it. I don't know about yours, but my 383 runs hot. Like I said, I did this & I no longer have any problems. Let me know how you make out. Laurence

Back