1967/68 Monaco/Polara Magnum 500 Wheel Clearance

Fireflite56

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm posting this for my uncle who is considering getting a set of Coker 15" chrome Magnum 500 rims for his '67 Dodge Monaco 500. He has the factory Budd disc brake system (rear drums, front discs with 15" steel wheels) on his car and is wondering if the 15" chrome Magnum 500 has enough inner (rim) diameter clearance to fit around the entire disc brake set-up and, if so, what the is the widest rim/tire that will fit in the wheel well? Hopefully someone on here has done something like this before and can provide some input. Ideally it would be feedback specific to the Dodge Monaco/Polara body since there are no fender skirts to remove and installation clearances are very limited.

IMG_2625.JPG

I have 15x7 magnum 500’s on my 68 Newport with fender skirts and they have ample wheel well clearance. I have an SS brakes 4 wheel disc brake conversion and they fit with no problem, I can’t speak for the Budd discs though.

using 235/70 15 tires

What backspacing on the 15x7s?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Hi everyone,

I'm posting this for my uncle who is considering getting a set of Coker 15" chrome Magnum 500 rims for his '67 Dodge Monaco 500. He has the factory Budd disc brake system (rear drums, front discs with 15" steel wheels) on his car and is wondering if the 15" chrome Magnum 500 has enough inner (rim) diameter clearance to fit around the entire disc brake set-up and, if so, what the is the widest rim/tire that will fit in the wheel well? Hopefully someone on here has done something like this before and can provide some input. Ideally it would be feedback specific to the Dodge Monaco/Polara body since there are no fender skirts to remove and installation clearances are very limited.

View attachment 370651
Unfortunately the magnums will not fit the Budd discs. The rib on the caliper will hit the rim center section. You need roughly 3/8" extra spacing. I'm not sure if you could safely machine that much off the caliper. Always wanted to find a junk caliper to see if that was even possible. I'm not fond of wheel spacers but wanted the 500's because the factory full wheel covers were always squeaky. I had some special aluminum spacers made to fit precisely & bought high strength ARP wheel studs which I cut to length, I also torque to 100 ft-lbs for added security.
17.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah I forgot I don't have the Budds anymore. Hah. Bane of my friggin' existence.. But I'm running 255/70-15's on 15x7's. Just not Magnum 500's... I'll go over here in the corner and stfu for a while.

Squeaky wheel covers? Our '66 Newport had that, PLUS the rh frt would rotate on the wheel, bending the valve stem and extension, which finally stopped the rotation. Even there were nubs on the rim and tabs on the wheel cover to stop it! Finally went to short valve stems, using the extensions on all but the rh frt, which I rotated the wheel cover away from the valve stem, with an empty valve stem hole. Wheel flex on the 14x5.5" wheels.

CBODY67

Thanks for all the feedback so far, especially PH27L7 regarding the caliper interference with the spokes.

Unfortunately the magnums will not fit the Budd discs. The rib on the caliper will hit the rim center section. You need roughly 3/8" extra spacing. I'm not sure if you could safely machine that much off the caliper. Always wanted to find a junk caliper to see if that was even possible. I'm not fond of wheel spacers but wanted the 500's because the factory full wheel covers were always squeaky. I had some special aluminum spacers made to fit precisely & bought high strength ARP wheel studs which I cut to length, I also torque to 100 ft-lbs for added security.
View attachment 370724

I would assume that spoke interference would be there regardless of what width the rim is since that's all in the center where it mates to the hub?

I would assume that spoke interference would be there regardless of what width the rim is since that's all in the center where it mates to the hub?
Correct. If I had to do it all over I'd live with the squeaky caps. Do like the looks of the 500's though.

Back