1967 Chrysler Newport 383

rsh1966vip

Reaction score
The oil filter that I got from Orielly's today was a lot larger than the one on the car. I should have looked at it before I went to purchase the filter, but I did not. Here is the pic of the one on the car and the one that O'rielly's gave me. Back to the store. This is really a small filter and I expected it to be in the rear of the motor as opposed to at the front of the engine. You can tell I an a new a MOPAR newbie.
FA753661-A0CC-4EAE-95DF-D994B2B3622A.jpeg
9E7B9186-8F44-4E07-9438-640303F2311F_1_201_a.jpeg

rsh1966vip

The oil filter that I got from Orielly's today was a lot larger than the one on the car. I should have looked at it before I went to purchase the filter, but I did not. Here is the pic of the one on the car and the one that O'rielly's gave me. Back to the store. This is really a small filter and I expected it to be in the rear of the motor as opposed to at the front of the engine. You can tell I an a new a MOPAR newbie.
View attachment 492050 View attachment 492051
rsh1966vip
First of all your title said 283 and I changed it to 383. Is that the correct engine? There are a few different length filters that fit these engines.

The oil filter that was factory-spec prior to about 1974 was a long oil filter, what we always used was the Ford/Motorcraft FL-1A filter. OEM spec filtering media at a better price than what we could get from the local Chrysler dealer (better price, too, as the auto supplies had them in stock). The shorter filter was generally on the LA motors and was later used on the B/RB engines which had AIR pumps from about 1974 onward. It had to be shorter to clear the power steering belt.

Have them cross the FL-1A Motorcraft number into whatever line they have in stock which should get you the OEM "long" filter. Many now use the short filter instead. Just that it might need to be changed sooner than the long filter.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

what we always used was the Ford/Motorcraft FL-1A filter
Funny, a store I get oil and filters from doesn't have many options, but the last two filters I bought were the Motorcraft brand filters. Cheap and they work. I only bought them there because the parts store was closed, otherwise I get a Wix filter.

They gave you the right filter, but you can use the short one also. There's basically no difference except the amount of filter media inside. They're interchangeable but I would use the longer one if it fit.

I did not realize that I typed in 283, but thanks for the correction. Its' a 383 4 bl.
I think I had better look at clearances around the power steering before I exchange or decide which I should buy

I did not realize that I typed in 283, but thanks for the correction. Its' a 383 4 bl.
I think I had better look at clearances around the power steering before I exchange or decide which I should buy

Your clearance will be fine. The short filter is required for '73 and up 400 cu. in engines. I tried to put the big filter on my '73 Navajo and had to go get the shorter one - a Purolator, because all Advance Auto had was that one and a POS Fram.

Your clearance will be fine. The short filter is required for '73 and up 400 cu. in engines. I tried to put the big filter on my '73 Navajo and had to go get the shorter one - a Purolator, because all Advance Auto had was that one and a POS Fram.
Thanks, rsh1966vip

Back