1967 Crown Coupe Restoration

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just need a bit of help from someone who knows. I have a 1967 Crown Coupe I am completing for summer 2015.

I cannot fully decode the fender tag and if anyone can help me with the "unknown" options codes shown below it would really help.

:sSig_thanks:

IMG_6155.jpg

CAR: Chrysler Imperial 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code
BUILD DATE: September 01.
AXLE: 2 Unknown Axle Code
INTERIOR: Black Bucket Seats.
PAINT:
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
D9: Front Disk Brakes
H2: Power Locks
J5: Unknown Option
K8: Power Windows
N8: Rear Window Defogger
Q9: Sentinel Lighting
R5: Unknown Option
S1: Air Conditioning
V2: Unknown Option
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
b5: Rear Arm Rest w/ Ashtray
d6: Unknown Option
g6: Unknown Option
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j0: Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
k7: Passenger Outside Manual Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

IMG_6155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:sSig_greetingsthor: ............ :welcome:

Looks like a nice car. You might try locating the broadcast sheet. Likely in the front seat bottom or rear seats. Those codes will be evedent on it.

:sSig_greetingsthor: ............ :welcome:

Looks like a nice car. You might try locating the broadcast sheet. Likely in the front seat bottom or rear seats. Those codes will be evedent on it.

thx. i do have the buildsheet but i havent found a source yet to decode it. if you or anyone can point me to a good buildsheet decoder that would also be helpful. thx again.

Just need a bit of help from someone who knows. I have a 1967 Crown Coupe I am completing for summer 2015.

I cannot fully decode the fender tag and if anyone can help me with the "unknown" options codes shown below it would really help.

View attachment 32357

CAR: Chrysler Imperial 2 Door Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: Unknown tire code -9.15 X 15 Rayon Good Year 3 band white wall
BUILD DATE: September 01.
AXLE: 2 Unknown Axle Code -2.94 ratio w/8.75
INTERIOR: Black Bucket Seats.
PAINT: BB1 black
OTHER: I think I see a Q here and if so that's a horizontal accent stripe in medium red.

MOLDINGS:

ABC OPTIONS:
D9: Front Disk Brakes
H2: Power Locks
J5: Unknown Option -LH & RH 6 way power bucket seats.
K8: Power Windows
N8: Rear Window Defogger
Q9: Sentinel Lighting
R5: Unknown Option -AM/FM search tune radio
S1: Air Conditioning
V2: Unknown Option -still unknown
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
b5: Rear Arm Rest w/ Ashtray
d6: Unknown Option-rear seat speaker
g6: Unknown Option-Bumper reveal molding
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
j0: Tilt/Telescoping Steering Column
k7: Passenger Outside Manual Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

I filled in all but one of your blanks post up a nice, big and clear pic of the sheet and a pic or three of the car.

I filled in all but one of your blanks post up a nice, big and clear pic of the sheet and a pic or three of the car.

hey Neighbor. thanks a bunch. I see you're a crown coupe owner?

Sorry to all for putting this post in this section. I saw an "Imperial" section on the site after I posted here in "restorations", then tried to delete it and repost there but couldnt figure out how to do that. I tried to correct the thread title too but couldnt do that either.

Anyway, I will post a pic of car and buildsheet shortly. This resto is frustrating me a bit as I bought this car "from a distance" and it turned out that it wasnt accurately represented. If i got it from an FCBO member all those years ago, hey its cool as I'm a big boy and usually know what I'm doing, but I probably should have gone to see it before buying it:whew:

buildsheet and a couple of photos. i also have the Certicard showing the original owner (actually was quite a prominent company in Augusta GA, home of the Masters).

the spare in trunk seems original..is that a "three band" whitewall, or the vintage photo shot at the below? i may be answering my own question, but expert opinions from people smarter than me about these cars still matter

IMG_6200 - compressed.jpgIMG_6182-C.jpgIMG_6178.JPGPage04-reg.jpg

IMG_6200 - compressed.jpg

IMG_6182-C.jpg

IMG_6178.JPG

Page04-reg.jpg

Last edited:
another question for someone with answers please?

these wheels were on the car when I acquired it. the top row had "F" on them and the bottom row...a different looking construction tho still at 15" wheel, had "R" on them (not factory markings) written in paint pen. The bottom row also looks like the spare wheel in the trunk.

first, is this correct design configuration for the '67 Crown Coupe or did somebody just lose a couple wheels over the years? second, if correct design, why would Chrysler do this?

IMG_6195.JPG

IMG_6195.JPG

hey Neighbor. thanks a bunch. I see you're a crown coupe owner?

detmatt.. i just ran across the "epic" thread detailing your 1967 Crown Coupe resto.

I assumed you owned a Crown Coupe only from the footer in your posts showing cars you own(owned)...I didnt know the story documenting your work till just now. nice job man.

so sorry for my uninformed question...i wasnt trying to be funny.

see ya neighbor.

detmatt.. i just ran across the "epic" thread detailing your 1967 Crown Coupe resto.

I assumed you owned a Crown Coupe only from the footer in your posts showing cars you own(owned)...I didnt know the story documenting your work till just now. nice job man.

so sorry for my uninformed question...i wasnt trying to be funny.

see ya neighbor.
I'm glad you found my thread, that'll save me some explaining. Yours looks great, how did you find it? I haven't really had to restore mine so much as just trying to preserve it and get things back to working like they should, although I guess that kinda qualifies as a resto....
where do you live? I'm in Rochester Hills and my shop is in Royal Oak.
My spare and another active member with a '67 both have the original spares and are both triple stripes as pictured.

another question for someone with answers please?

these wheels were on the car when I acquired it. the top row had "F" on them and the bottom row...a different looking construction tho still at 15" wheel, had "R" on them (not factory markings) written in paint pen. The bottom row also looks like the spare wheel in the trunk.

first, is this correct design configuration for the '67 Crown Coupe or did somebody just lose a couple wheels over the years? second, if correct design, why would Chrysler do this?

View attachment 32380

I'm the other active member with a '67. I'm pretty sure all four of my wheels look like the ones on the bottom.

We are pretty sure that the three stripe pattern is the factory pattern for '67. Or at least one of them.

Your spare may be original. If you look at the literature on the imperialclub.com website, some of the pictures appear to be two-stripe, but it's hard to tell. So there may be an early-build thing going on. Do you know when it was built? If I'm reading your data plate translation right, you have air, but no Auto-Temp, right? If so, that's good, since it will be more reliable. But to the date of build, Auto-Temp was a late-year introduction. So if you have it, it's not an early build.

September first of '66 is pretty early!

Oops, skipped right over that part of the plate. Yeah, that's early. Which means I don't have anything definitive to say about spares. I'm no expert.

I'm glad you found my thread, that'll save me some explaining. Yours looks great, how did you find it? I haven't really had to restore mine so much as just trying to preserve it and get things back to working like they should, although I guess that kinda qualifies as a resto....
where do you live? I'm in Rochester Hills and my shop is in Royal Oak.
My spare and another active member with a '67 both have the original spares and are both triple stripes as pictured.

i'm north of you up near Stoney Creek Metro Park. Royal Oak puts you right in the action for all the Woodward Avenue car events which, if i were to go by all the hot cars I saw last Friday night, the "cruising" has started already.

The "resto" word has broad meaning the way I use it for my projects, varying only in terms of time/money. Your CC looked to be really clean to start with but like any vehicle over four decades old it likely needed a few things maintained/updated/repaired.

I termed the thread "epic" because of its many views/posts. you wrestled with some stuff that I have done and may yet have to do before car is where I want it.

I found this car in Oklahoma about 9 years ago..the "old fashioned" way in the Auto Trader magazine i picked up on a trip to Tulsa. Car had been in OK since early 1980's. The company that owned it originally sold it in Georgia in 1972, so it has a decade of its life i dont anything about.

I am in contact with the family of the original owners and they are looking for pictures of it in use, and hopefully a few taken at Augusta National Golf course in the late 1960's.

Maybe something will turn up in that search..a 40 yr old Arnold Palmer standing next to it or something:yaayy:

thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Oops, skipped right over that part of the plate. Yeah, that's early. Which means I don't have anything definitive to say about spares. I'm no expert.

Yes, the car was built September 1 1966 and was delivered in October 1966 per the Certicard.

I saw some of the period advertising material on the Imperial website and it looks like "two-stripe" whitewalls were also available at introduction. See magazine ad photo below.

I think the steel wheels are the "flatter" faced ones as you said, and my car has lost two over the years. if anyone knows where I can find a couple of correct steel wheels please let me know if you get a moment.

Yep my car has air but does not have auto temp control. It it does have "auto pilot" which I think is just "cruise control" as I learned it..could be one of the unknown option codes may be the auto pilot option?

thanks guys.

Haze.jpg

Haze.jpg

Could you get the Director's table in a four door?
No Google images showed up.

Imperial Club site says it was only available in the Crown Coupe. I presume those folks are correct on this point. Plus, they had this neat info too on options (also shows Mobile Director only in Crown Coupe).
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]CONVENIENCE OPTIONS & PRICE[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Air Conditioning[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$452.25[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dual Unit AC[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$636.15[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Auto Pilot[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$94.90[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Automatic Beam Changer[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$45.10[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Clean Air Package[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]25.00[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Rear Window Defogger[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$26.20[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Door Edge Guards (2-doors)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$4.35[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Door Edge Guards (4-doors)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$6.40[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Left and Right Headrests[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$52.45[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Rear Seat Heater with Defroster[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$63.30[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Front License Plate Frame[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$5.95[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Outside Right Mirror[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$6.75[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Mobile Director (Crown Coupe)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$597.40[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Power Door Locks In Crown coupe[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$46.50[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Power Door Locks[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$70.70[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Six-way Drivers Seat (Crown 4drHT)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$105.50[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Six-way Power Front Seats (Crown 4drHT)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$210.85[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Six-Way Power Bench Seat (Crown/Sedan)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$122.35[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Power Trunk Release[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$28.28[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Power Vent Windows[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$71.85[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Am Touch-Tuner Radio w/r Speaker and Power Antenna[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$165.45[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]AM/FM Touch-Tuner Radio w/rear speaker and Power Antenna[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$227.75[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Reverberator Rear Speaker[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$36.90[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Safeguard Sentinel Lighting[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$36.10[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Front Center Passenger Seat Belt[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$9.20[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Rear Center Passenger Seat Belt[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$9.20[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Front Left and Right Shoulder Belts[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$26.80[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tilt-A-Scope Steering Wheel[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$92.45[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sure-Grip Differential[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$56.35[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Tinted Glass[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$52.70[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]White Three Ring Tires[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$54.05[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Split Bench Seats Leather Trim (4-door HT)[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$102.25[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Vinyl Roof[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]$129.70[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Historical Notes:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]AM/FM Multiplex radio was a first time option this year. Most 1967 Imperials (98%) had tinted glass​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]95.1% had air conditioning (or 2,410 units without air, 1,446 were convertibles)​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]44.2% had vinyl roofs​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]40.6% used speed control​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]21.6% came with bucket seats​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]4,600 units built without tilt wheel​
[/FONT]​

That's interesting info at the bottom there. That makes mine one of 964 without air.
my shop is very close to the action on Woodward, you should come by some time. I'd love to have a closer look at your coupe, is it roadworthy?
I have been wanting to call the original owners of my CC to see if they have any early pics or good stories of the car.

Back