1967 Dodge Polara 500 Convertible

Matt Sager

Reaction score
I inherited this car after my dad died 10 yrs ago. He parked it in my grandfathers barn in 1974 when he went overseas in the navy. It sat there until 10 yrs ago when he passed. I had intentions of getting it driving and using it as a cruiser with my wife and kids. Well, as you all know I'm sure, life get's in the way of best laid plans. Here it is 10 yrs since my dad's been gone and I still have car taking up space in my shop now. I don't have the time or money to get car where I think it should be. I'm thinking real serious about giving someone else the opportunity to get this up and running like it deserves to be. I'm not real sure what a fair price would be for the car.

It's got 86224 original miles. I attached a couple photos for reference. Sorry about wood dust, been doing a woodworking project in shop. Any help on a fair price is appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
IMG_20190304_093200857.jpg
IMG_20190304_093116297.jpg

Agreed
It looks good from a distance
How is the underbody?
Likely at the mileage and age it’s in need of a good going over mechanically

Here is some more pics. I kinda gotta the old girl cornered and it's a bear to get it out for now. Underbody is in good shape, no rust.

IMG_20190304_112020187.jpg

IMG_20190304_111833824.jpg

IMG_20190304_112000043.jpg

IMG_20190304_111746161.jpg

IMG_20190304_111813742.jpg

IMG_20190304_111756282.jpg

After I got it I had radiator re-cored and put a new gas tank in. Got it running and actually drove it about 10 miles to my new house. Guy stopped me and wanted to buy it right there. Exhaust needs to be replaced, it rusted a hole in it from sitting so long. It needs new wheels and tires as they have been on there since '74. Top and interior will need some work, top mechanism works.

After I got it I had radiator re-cored and put a new gas tank in. Got it running and actually drove it about 10 miles to my new house. Guy stopped me and wanted to buy it right there. Exhaust needs to be replaced, it rusted a hole in it from sitting so long. It needs new wheels and tires as they have been on there since '74. Top and interior will need some work, top mechanism works.

Which engine and how long has it been since it has been started? There is a big difference in value between 383 and 440 equipped cars. From what I can see of it, this is still a nice car, appears to be 383 with drum brakes. Paint is still usable as a good driver, as is the chrome, could use a new top and the aforementioned exhaust system, will probably also need a full brake system overhaul, and of course tires. To arrive at a reasonable value, a nice Polara 500 vert in #3 condition is around $12.5k, deduct from that any repairs needed to make it drive.

Dave

Which engine and how long has it been since it has been started? There is a big difference in value between 383 and 440 equipped cars. From what I can see of it, this is still a nice car, appears to be 383 with drum brakes. Paint is still usable as a good driver, as is the chrome, could use a new top and the aforementioned exhaust system, will probably also need a full brake system overhaul, and of course tires. To arrive at a reasonable value, a nice Polara 500 vert in #3 condition is around $12.5k, deduct from that any repairs needed to make it drive.

Dave
Thank you Dave! Your response was exactly the kind of info I was hoping for. It indeed has a 383 and drum brakes I started it last year, in the summer. Tried today but battery didn't cooperate... I appreciate your help!
Matt

Nice looking car. But I am not allowed another project or car (at least for a while)

My advise, worth what you are paying for it is, dont sell. And dont put those over achiever expectations on it or yourself.
If your looking at all the big money restorations stop doing that. Fix what you can, pay someone to do what you cant as you can. You will never find one with that connection. Your not watering or feeding it. Dont let the hobby become a nagging headache that discourages you

Thanks for your input, rec and 67 ragtop! Your words of advice got me thinking... I looked into a disc brake conversation years ago. I can't remember the guy who sold it, but he used old Galaxie parts to upgrade brakes. Do any of you members recommend a disc upgrade kit? Also, I have a welder is there a pre-fab'ed exhaust kit for this car or would I be better off taking it to an exhaust shop?

Matt

Thanks for your input, rec and 67 ragtop! Your words of advice got me thinking... I looked into a disc brake conversation years ago. I can't remember the guy who sold it, but he used old Galaxie parts to upgrade brakes. Do any of you members recommend a disc upgrade kit? Also, I have a welder is there a pre-fab'ed exhaust kit for this car or would I be better off taking it to an exhaust shop?

Matt

Your best upgrade to disc brakes would be to find a setup from a 70-73 c-body car. You will need to change the spindles, rebuild the calipers, install new brake hoses and pads. Then you would need to replace the brake booster with the 68-71 unit. Be sure to rebuild the brake booster for the disc brakes, and it usually is less trouble to just buy a new disc brake master cylinder. You will also need to install a brake portioning valve in place of the drum brake distribution block to re-balance the brake system. This conversion will also require 15" wheels if the car does not already have them to clear the brake calipers. You can also use the 72-73 spindles so long as you use the appropriate calipers and disc rotors with them. The correct brake booster is a bendix dual diaphragm type. Be sure to rebuild the rear brakes while you are at it and replace the wheel cylinders and the rear brake hose and probably the linings as well. If the car still has asbestos rear brake shoes that are in good shape, I would keep those as they work better

The other option would be to rebuild the existing drum assembly completely which is a lot less work. Properly operating drum brakes are adequate to stop this car safely but they will never be as good as discs.

I usually take my cars to a good muffler shop and have the new exhaust fabricated out of the rust resistant alloy tubing. There are also several vendors on line that make pre-fit exhaust for you car, depends on how much you like wrestling exhaust tubing under the car. The prefab kits are usually about $150 less than having the system made by hand.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave! Is there a parts supplier that you recommend?

www.wilcatmopars.com can usually supply the core calipers and spindles and sometimes they also have usable rotors. www.wagnerbrake.com still shows a listing for new rotors as well. I would try a web search for these parts as well because that is sometimes cheaper. www.summitracing.com has the exhaust system parts. The wheel cylinders, brake hoses and caliper rebuild kits are still available a most quality auto parts. www.rockauto.com also has a lot of these brake parts as does www.jcwhitney.com..

Dave

On the brakes, I have to disagree with Dave in part. (Maybe he mis-typed). You don't want the '66 - '69 Budd style disc brake set up. Parts are very hard to find and expensive. You want the ' 70 - '73 disc brake set ups off a C Body. The '73 set up is the best because the rotors were also used on pickups, vans and other vehicles. Scarebird has had kits around for quite a long time and do not require you to change the spindles.

Finding a new or high quality rebuilt (not Cardone) master cylinder and booster from the same year car that the disc brake set up came from along with the same year brake distribution block from the donor car is a must.

On the brakes, I have to disagree with Dave in part. (Maybe he mis-typed). You don't want the '66 - '69 Budd style disc brake set up. Parts are very hard to find and expensive. You want the ' 70 - '73 disc brake set ups off a C Body. The '73 set up is the best because the rotors were also used on pickups, vans and other vehicles. Scarebird has had kits around for quite a long time and do not require you to change the spindles.

Finding a new or high quality rebuilt (not Cardone) master cylinder and booster from the same year car that the disc brake set up came from along with the same year brake distribution block from the donor car is a must.

Correct, brain fart. Edited post The dual piston calipers are also a PIA to work on. www.boosterdeweyexchange.com in Portland does a good job on brake boosters. Note that some '69 C-Bodies also had single piston calipers made by Kelsey-Hayes.

Dave

Last edited:
Back