1967 Fury rim an tire clearance?

67 sport fury

Reaction score
Wanting to know if Cooper Cobra GT 255/60/r15 on 15x8 mag 500 rims would fit all the way around on my 1967 sport fury. This is a expensive purchase and i dont wont to mess it up lol. Any info will help.

Wanting to know if Cooper Cobra GT 255/60/r15 on 15x8 mag 500 rims would fit all the way around on my 1967 sport fury. This is a expensive purchase and i dont wont to mess it up lol. Any info will help.
If you run a zero offset, 4 inch backspace wheel it will fit

Your problem will likely be at the rear - but check brake hose clearance at full turns up front.

Do you have fenderskirts? Your avatar suggests no, but if so, you'll be close to the skirt's locking latch.
Years ago I had 255/60 on 15" copcar rims (4.25" BS) and they fit fine on my 65 Fury with skirts.
Years later, on same car I have 235/70 on 15" copcar rims and one side is real close to the quarterpanel lip - with no skirt.

My 68 Fury has 275-60 on 8" Ramcharger rims (4" BS) and I needed a slightly-narrower B-body rearend and a re-lo kit to make it fit behind the skirts.
But my tire is a little wider than your target.

There is also a crease in the wheelwell that you'll need to check out, too. My 65 and 68 Fury both have it.

My point to all of that - you're straying into the 'measure first' arena unless someone chimes in as having done your exact combo.

You could make a wooden mockup of the dia/width in the appropriate measurements, mount it to the studs, and rotate it around.
Or Summit / Jegs sell a tool for it.
Better safe than sorry!

upload_2021-3-30_22-55-23.png

Your problem will likely be at the rear - but check brake hose clearance at full turns up front.

Do you have fenderskirts? Your avatar suggests no, but if so, you'll be close to the skirt's locking latch.
Years ago I had 255/60 on 15" copcar rims (4.25" BS) and they fit fine on my 65 Fury with skirts.
Years later, on same car I have 235/70 on 15" copcar rims and one side is real close to the quarterpanel lip - with no skirt.

My 68 Fury has 275-60 on 8" Ramcharger rims (4" BS) and I needed a slightly-narrower B-body rearend and a re-lo kit to make it fit behind the skirts.

There is also a crease in the wheelwell that you'll need to check out, too. My 65 and 68 Fury both have it.

My point to all of that - you're straying into the 'measure first' arena unless someone chimes in as having done your exact combo.

You could make a wooden mockup of the dia/width in the appropriate measurements, mount it to the studs, and rotate it around.
Better safe than sorry!

View attachment 450090
No side skirts an the rim im looking at has 4.5 backspacing. thanks for the info

Better safe than sorry!

View attachment 450090
Which tire did you think looked better on the 65 Fury? I'm debating on what to get myself as I just ordered some 15 inch OE cop wheels and am wondering if I should go with the 255 60s or 235 70s

Which tire did you think looked better on the 65 Fury? I'm debating on what to get myself as I just ordered some 15 inch OE cop wheels and am wondering if I should go with the 255 60s or 235 70s
Don't have good pics to help you, but here's what I've got.
The 255-60s on the rear (years ago), and hte 235-70 on the front (currently).
Obviously, you can research the dia of both sizes and have some reference from that.
The 255 looked very purposeful on the rear., but the sidewall looks a little more 'abrupt' due the rim being only 7" wide.
the 235-70 looks more normal, nicely-rounded sidewall, and fills the front wheellip nicely.

Between these 2 sizes, though, I'd say you'll be OK with either size. I did NOT run 255-60 on the front, though, I had 235-60. With a 255-60 on the front you'd better check for adequate brake hose clearance.

The 235-70 would be my current choice, except that preventing me from latching my pass-side FS latch has me flummoxed on that size -- it does not seem like it's a too-large tire for a C-body.
upload_2021-7-23_21-16-14.png

upload_2021-7-23_21-18-1.png

upload_2021-7-23_21-18-39.png

aesthetically ury fan, post: 1023582, member: 1897"]Don't have good pics to help you, but here's what I've got.
The 255-60s on the rear (years ago), and hte 235-70 on the front (currently).
Obviously, you can research the dia of both sizes and have some reference from that.
The 255 looked very purposeful on the rear., but the sidewall looks a little more 'abrupt' due the rim being only 7" wide.
the 235-70 looks more normal, nicely-rounded sidewall, and fills the front wheellip nicely.

Between these 2 sizes, though, I'd say you'll be OK with either size. I did NOT run 255-60 on the front, though, I had 235-60. With a 255-60 on the front you'd better check for adequate brake hose clearance.

The 235-70 would be my current choice, except that preventing me from latching my pass-side FS latch has me flummoxed on that size -- it does not seem like it's a too-large tire for a C-body.
View attachment 476900
View attachment 476901
View attachment 476902[/QUOTE]
I think both of the tires look great, the 255 60s are a 27 inch tires which is close to stock size so the speedo will only be off by like a half a mile an hour. The 235 70s I believe are a 28 inch tire which would make the speedo 4 mphs off. I'm leaning more towards the 235 70s on all 4 corners because the tires and look I am going for, offer it in that size but not the 255 60s. I would like the wider look but also understand filling out that wheel well would be aesthetically pleasing.

Back