1967 Imperial Article

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Did not know that Imperials were full frame until 1967.
Car looks superb!
1967 Imperial, 1st Unibody, HPM 3-96.jpg

1967 Imperial, 1st Unibody, HPM 3-961.jpg

Beautiful car! Saw this car at Carlisle years ago. She was in line to collect whatever award they won.
I stopped to check the car out as it is identical to one Dad borrowed from the engineering car pool. I know 3 Schwinn 10 spds will fit in the trunk closed. Another one of my favs he brought home.

How old is that article?

I also met the owners Duane and Carol at Carlisle in the early 1990s, when I showed my teal 66 Monaco. We were parked beside each other, and they were super nice people. I remember that car as being drop dead gorgeous, and firmly cemented my love for the 67 as one of my fave Imps. As an aside note, my Monaco won 3rd in the C body class that year.

Those two model years a beautiful. Take a look at those quarter panels on the 2drs.
Matt, you got a tape measure?:eek:

I always guessed at least 8 ft long. Imagine pulling that stamping out of the die?

Or seeing it come down the roller-conveyor to its next station! OR what it must weigh "naked"?

As a point of reference, Chrysler usually shipped much of its sheet metal "bare"/unboxed with foam tabs separating the items, to the warehouses/depots in a metal warehouse rack. I noted that a bare '75 Cordoba fender weighed MORE than a similar '75 Monte Carlo fender and the cardboard wrap it was shipped in.

LOTS of loonnnggggg 2-dr quarter panels back then, even into the '70s.

Beautiful cars!
CBODY67

I know. One summer I unloaded a semi full of “E” body front fender skins. Three bundled together with wire a some kind of spacer between them. All dripping of oil.

How about a one piece front clip on a ‘64 Imperial. I find no seems from the driver’s side A-pillar to the same point on the passenger side.
A6A21AC9-5EF7-4C7E-9695-91B4340E96F5.jpeg
B671BD7E-CE2D-4B29-84C7-A8A4B99115EB.jpeg
39E951B7-48C1-493D-8E4B-F6AABB1AB159.jpeg

Have you popped those moldings off on the fender tops?
Notice how that chrome trim runs continuously from the A pillar to top of bumper?
Still makes that top section awkward with a huge amount of dropage figuring the hood and two grille opngs get punched out. This is the stuff Dad dealt with once the stylist got done. The forward look cars with the tall fins and headlight eyebrows were interesting to say the least.

How about a one piece front clip on a ‘64 Imperial. I find no seems from the driver’s side A-pillar to the same point on the passenger side.

Now that I knew but I did not know of the unibody vs frame issue.

Have you popped those moldings off on the fender tops?
Notice how that chrome trim runs continuously from the A pillar to top of bumper?
Still makes that top section awkward with a huge amount of dropage figuring the hood and two grille opngs get punched out. This is the stuff Dad dealt with once the stylist got done. The forward look cars with the tall fins and headlight eyebrows were interesting to say the least.
I didn't think about that, I'll have to check the body assembly manual to see if the fender sides were separate from the top.

Now that I knew but I did not know of the unibody vs frame issue.
Hmm, I just assumed all us regulars knew that.

I didn't think about that, I'll have to check the body assembly manual to see if the fender sides were separate from the top.

Being an engineer myself these were the kinda things Dad and I talked about in his later years sitting on the pontoon boat with a cold bev. Some of his stories about figuring out how to fab something stying dreamed up were amazing. When I asked him how the heck they stamped those Desoto fins he pointed out the chrome molding running along the top. Hide the body seam with a molding and save a lot hand finishing. Look at a 57 chebby or the 59 caddy fins.

A lot more joints up there than I thought and I’ve looked for them too! First time I’ve cracked this book open to research it and now it all makes sense.
6A4236E6-200B-4722-8896-3C2B45E941D0.jpeg
639298B1-A9B6-4686-9040-F3FF6E1FA1AC.jpeg
0644D3E4-CC55-4592-8653-4CA9D90CBE57.jpeg
0F4D9889-CFBA-4E31-B0A0-24D615BE4751.jpeg

Back